cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, October 23, 2004 10:14:26 AM
As I've mentioned a bunch of times before, I am very interested in the history of the biz. Old pictures, postcards, etc.....

I recently had another longtime member of MCW ask me what my thoughts were about trying to get a separate forum here to discuss Carnival History. I know there are a lot of folks here that have an interest in this area, but is there enough of a demand for a separate forum? I'm curious as to what everyone thinks....
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
2ndgencarnie
Saturday, October 23, 2004 10:44:39 AM
Im not too buff and my history facts but im highly interested.
J-bird
Saturday, October 23, 2004 12:01:23 PM
That is a wonderful idea. I am also interested in carnival history. There is so much to share and discuss. as their were so many shows in the past with long and colorful histories not to mention all the midway personalities.
Bossman
Saturday, October 23, 2004 12:47:32 PM
I too would like a forum on carnival history. We have several members like Sixcat, Pinetar, RRShow, Kiddie Ride Red and Big Al Taylor, and I'm sure I have left several names off and please forgive me for doing so, that carry with them memories of the past. I would like for them to please share them with us. You don't know where you are headed if you don't know where you came from.

PS: I have left Boils the Clown off the list and he could add to the information if he would come out of his clown mode once and awhile.
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 23, 2004 1:09:15 PM
im always interested in the history of this biz. one of my fav. things is to jackpot with the old showmen.lately, i get some of the younger crowd asking me alot about when i first got involved with the biz. yeh...i think a history forum would be a hit. maybe we can get some of the older showmen to speak of things here that normally dont post......good idea !!!
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, October 23, 2004 1:37:51 PM
I agree , although i don't post much lately , i still read quite a bit and that kinda stuff is of interest to me . Some of the first pics i ever posted here were of an era long gone but definitly not forgotten . Good idea chris....
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, October 23, 2004 2:05:00 PM
I'd be intrested in a forum about the history the old dayz...

it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
Skywheelrider
Saturday, October 23, 2004 3:31:32 PM
Absolutely! That is a wonderful idea! I love carnival history (and I am probably one of the few that actually likes reading the history of train shows part XXXXXLXCXX in Carnival each month, lol), and history in general (I have taken as many American history classes in high school and college as I could. lol Like I said, one of the few....). So yeah, count me in!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Keith
Saturday, October 23, 2004 3:59:48 PM
Yes, This idea is quite appealing. I was made aware of interest in this area from my past post. This forum could include sideshows as well.

There even could be history pages published on the new MCW.

Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 23, 2004 4:58:35 PM
I am also interested in the history, esp of the old rides. I belong to NAPHA National Amusement Park Historical Assoc. www.napha.org 
and I really enjoy the field trips with the behind-the-scenes looks at historic rides & parks.

Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, October 23, 2004 6:21:16 PM
So, what is it you want to know? How shows were made up 40 or 50 years ago? Or do you want stories from the midways of the past?
Sixcats have nine lives
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, October 23, 2004 6:31:20 PM
I'm looking to see what the interest is for a forum devoted to history. Facts, pictures, and stories would all be welcome topics of discussion.

From the looks of it, there is the interest here.....
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
pegasus2127
Sunday, October 24, 2004 9:16:14 AM
I would also like to see a history fourm. I also like Mr. Hurly enjoy the history stories in Carnival Mag. I enjoy talking to older carny folks about the by gone days.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, October 24, 2004 11:52:05 AM
Check out Carnival Midway Magazine published by the Carnival Historical Society. It comes out by-monthly & contains many old pictures and stories. Contact Fred Heatley at fheatley@backroads.net for more info.
DutchWheel9
Monday, October 25, 2004 2:02:53 PM
A GREAT idea, CNY CHRIS. Let's face it, for many of us fans the American carnival of yesterday was better than the American carnival of today--more rides, more color, more and better help, less costly to operate than today insurance wise and such.

I LOVE to see photos of rides that were popular in the 1960's and 1970's and would not mind hearing more about the state fairs of these two decades from those on this board who were a part of the American carnival scene back then.

And in regard to my own area of the country I would love to hear about the midway history of the Topsfield Fair in Topsfield, MA, the Deerfield Fair in Deerfield, New Hampshire, the Fryeburg Fair in Fryeburg, Maine, and the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts.

Bob Eaton