gruelurks
  •  gruelurks
  • 51.86% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 2:59:53 PM
How come a carnival operator never sues a patron for damage done to their equipment due to the patron misbehaving.

"Patron stood up on ride, and was thrown from the car, and smacked his skull on the edge of the scenery, denting it severely, and causing it to need extensive machining and painting. We are suing to recover the cost of repair and replacement, and loss of income due to the ride being down."

I'm so sick of hearing about people suing for pointless crap when it was obvious they were at error. Not ranting about any particular suit, just a random thought today.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 3:30:22 PM
very good point. I know that in my spook house the marks cost me around $3,000 this year. Everything from ripping down the mesh wire in front of a trick to actually stealing a trick and even breaking the pipping for the sprinkler system.
tamadachi76
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 4:40:53 PM
That is a total bummer. You can put as many barriers/straps to "idiot proof" everything all you want but you can't "idot proof" an idiot.
Have you paid your dues Jack? Yeah I paid my dues. The check is in the mail.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 5:00:41 PM
thus is true my man. I guess a could put a shocker on everything the marks aren't supposed to touch.[}:)]
tamadachi76
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 6:30:22 PM
word. that a baseball bat and some orange construction cones can take you a long way. [8D]
Have you paid your dues Jack? Yeah I paid my dues. The check is in the mail.
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 10:28:42 PM
Ok All ,This is my thought on this matter.......(On the serious side & all the Clown B.S. out the window !)

I have always, thoughout my whole life ,noticed the same thing ! Mooches tearing apart the props in a dark ride for their kicks & amusement ! Well I did notice a couple of wise dark rides too !!

Try and just leave the darkride, just that.....Dark ! No special props or gags ! When a mark says that was a B.S. ride & begins to BEEF about getting his tickets back , The Ride jock should (& I have seen done) say.........That's why they call it a darkride Duhhhh !!!

Adding to that , I have even seen it go further & the ride jock says ....... Well, you can THANK the townmarks from last week for that one ! ( & just use that has & alibi from week to week throughout the season.) Try it , & you'll see !
Are their any opinions on my thoughts ???[?]

Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
Skywheelrider
Thursday, October 7, 2004 3:15:27 AM
I'm so sick of hearing about people suing for pointless crap when it was obvious they were at error.

Well, one way to curb vandalism in fun houses/dark rides would be to have cameras at certain points, and someone outside watching them, and then confronting the persons responsible for damage done when they exit. But that would be costly, for sure. And can you imagine the look on some teenager's (or adult's) face when he/she was confronted on exiting the fun house/dark ride, being told they are on video vandalizing?

As for lawsuits, I am with Mick. This society of ours is lawsuit happy, and there are lots of people to blame for that: lawyers who encourage it, judges who refuse to toss ridiculous lawsuits, and juries who award these absurd dollar amounts for ridiculous lawsuits.

I know of one show where a woman was on a Himalaya, and would not sit right, was told to sit right, still refused, so they were stopping the ride to make her get off, and she stood up as it was slowing down, and was knocked from the tub and broke her arm, I believe it was. The ride was shut down, the obligatory inspections done, nothing was found wrong, it was proven that it was rider error (ie, her fault), and she still sued the company! This was right after the Himalaya tragedy in Austin, Texas about six years ago or so, and the show ended up settling out of court because of the fear of a jury siding with the lady solely because it was an accident on a Himalaya, and they might attempt to make a connection between the two cases. A shame.

Think about it, people sue all the time, even when they are obviously at fault. I mean, a guy sues a fast food restaurant because he puts a milkshake between his legs as he is leaving the drive thru window, squeezes his legs, causing the top to open and spill some of the shake on him, which was obviously cold, he ends up hitting another car, and sues the restaurant claiming the shock from "their milkshake" being "too cold" caused him to swerve and hit the other vehicle, causing him pain and suffering. I say not only should this case have been tossed immediately, but the foolish lawyer who even filed the lawsuit should be reprimanded for wasting the court's time!

And I see no end in sight from this stuff. A shame....

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 7, 2004 3:52:20 AM
You think we should vote for a successful trial lawyer for vp?
UserPostedImage
Skywheelrider
Thursday, October 7, 2004 4:05:02 AM
Nope, at least not this year. And I will leave it at that....
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, October 7, 2004 5:30:21 AM
I have actualy done just that Boils. On 2 different occasions this year we were running hard wrist band days and and and the day went by i noticed the piece just getting beat up. So i went in Killed all the breakers to the tricks and left only the outside lights. The ride still got its points on the wristbands since it was still open and we handled every beef with " hey look, for all we know you're the one who tore it up and maybe everything turn off" I was shocked but it actualy worked.
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, October 7, 2004 7:17:00 AM
I wish you could just WACK Jon-Q-Public once in a while . That'll teach 'em .
Seriously though , lawyers are ruining this country , in Europe if you lose a frivilous lawsuit you gotta pay for all costs . Maybe we need some of that this way . As for suing the marks , who knows what part of the country you'll be in when it finaly makes it to litigation , cut your losses and write it off on your taxes , if ya' pay 'em , [;)]
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, October 7, 2004 7:20:43 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

You think we should vote for a successful trial lawyer for vp?

Yes, or the economy will continue to slide and more and more carnivals will cease to exist....
cny_chris
Thursday, October 7, 2004 9:46:11 AM
This is a good one that I got as an email awhile back. Not so much regarding lawsuits, but the general lack of common sense/stupidity of some folks ... Enjoy...

Number One Idiot of 2003
I am a medical student currently doing a rotation in
toxicology at the poison control center. Today, this woman called in
very upset because she caught her little daughter eating ants. I
quickly reassured her that the ants are not harmful and there would be no need to bring her daughter into the hospital. She calmed down and at the end of the conversation happened to mention that she gave her daughter some ant poison to eat in order to kill the ants. I told her that she better bring her daughter into the emergency room right away.

Here's your sign, lady. Wear it with pride.

Number Two Idiot of 2003

Early this year, some Boeing employees on the airfield decided to steal a life raft from one of the 747s. They were successful in getting it out of the plane and home. Shortly after they took it for a float on the river, they noticed a Coast Guard helicopter coming towards them. It turned out that the chopper was homing in on the emergency locator beacon that activated when the raft was inflated. They are no longer employed at Boeing.

Here's your sign, guys. Don't get it wet; the paint might run.

Number Three Idiot of 2003

A true story out of San Francisco: A man, wanting to rob a downtown Bank of America, walked into the branch and wrote "this iz a stikkup. Put all your muny in this bag." While standing in line, waiting to give his note to the teller, he began to worry that someone had seen him write the note and might call the police before he reached the teller's window. So he left the Bank of America and crossed the street to Wells Fargo. After waiting a few minutes in line, he handed his note to the Wells Fargo teller. She read it and, surmising from his spelling errors that he wasn't the brightest light in the harbor, told him that she could not accept his stickup note because it was written on a Bank of America deposit slip and that he would either have to fill out a Wells Fargo deposit slip or go back to Bank of America. Looking somewhat defeated, the man said, "OK" and left. He was arrested a few minutes later, as he was waiting in line back at Bank of America.

Don't bother with this guy's sign. He probably couldn't read it anyway.

Number Four Idiot of 2003

A guy walked into a little corner store with a shotgun and demanded all of the cash from the cash drawer. After the cashier put the cash in a bag, the robber saw a bottle of Scotch that he wanted behind the counter on the shelf. He told the cashier to put it in the bag as well, but the cashier refused and said, because I don't believe you are over 21. " The robber said he was, but the clerk still refused to give it to him because he didn't believe him. At that point, the robber took his driver's license out of his wallet and gave it to the clerk. The clerk looked it over and agreed that the man was in fact over 21 and he put the Scotch in the bag. The robber then ran from the store with his loot. The cashier promptly called the police and gave the name and address of the robber that he got off the license. They arrested the robber two hours later.

This guy definitely needs a sign!

Idiot Number Five of 2003

A pair of Michigan robbers entered a record shop nervously waving
revolvers. The first one shouted, "Nobody move!" When his partner moved, the startled first bandit shot him.

This guy doesn't need a sign, he probably figured it out himself.

Idiot Number Six of 2003

Seems this guy in North Carolina wanted some beer pretty badly.
He decided that he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. It seems the liquor store window was made of plexiglass. The whole event was caught on videotape. Oh, that smarts.

Give him his sign.

P.S. He's filing suit against the store owner for being injured on his property.

Idiot Number Seven of 2003

Ann Arbor: The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti, Michigan at 12:50 A. M., flashed a gun and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast. The man, frustrated, walked away.

Sign please.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Boils The Clown
Thursday, October 7, 2004 1:10:25 PM
Hey 2ndgencarnie or anyone else reading this post,
After giving it a little more thought , I did remember a time & maybe it can be an option to you, When A darkride was getting TRASHED & the way the show handled it was they took the SCARIEST ride jock & put him inside to speed everyone through the darkride !!! They didn't have anytime to grab a single thing except for their shoe if fell off while trying to make a very quick exit out of the house ! Just dress the jock up in either a creepy costume or his tear down clothes ! I know that this works, 110% !
Just trying to save the life of all darkrides , & thanx for you time,
Boils Thy Flipp'n Phrick'n Clown
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

I have actualy done just that Boils. On 2 different occasions this year we were running hard wrist band days and and and the day went by i noticed the piece just getting beat up. So i went in Killed all the breakers to the tricks and left only the outside lights. The ride still got its points on the wristbands since it was still open and we handled every beef with " hey look, for all we know you're the one who tore it up and maybe everything turn off" I was shocked but it actualy worked.

Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, October 7, 2004 5:27:19 PM
rockin man... i'll have to try that.