Who's Himalaya derailed?
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, October 3, 2004 6:56:18 PM
I was able to find this link:

http://www.lex18.com/Glo...2379092&nav=EQlpRZDk 

It doesn't give much info. Maybe someone in that area can fill in some of the blanks.
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, October 3, 2004 7:45:58 PM
http://www.kyapplefest.org/index.html 
Here is the link to the festival's website. Did a quick looksee and didn't find anything that would help identify the carnival.
Though the queen  ain't not to bad lookin'.

UserPostedImage

2ndgencarnie
Sunday, October 3, 2004 8:24:55 PM
SCOTT NOLAN AMUSEMENTS. It was in Paintsville and rumor has it that the state has shut his whole show down for a while. A committee called us today waning us to cover one of his spots next week.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Sunday, October 3, 2004 8:28:45 PM
Quote:

quote:

threw the kids to the ground when it derailed

Would that have to make it one of those little white and blue kiddie himmys?? My mind is drawing a blank on who makes them right now.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, October 3, 2004 8:30:56 PM
My girl friend saw the ride and said that pieces of the deck were on the ground.
orphaned
Sunday, October 3, 2004 8:33:11 PM
Scott Nolan has a full size Himalaya. I dunno if that's the one in question or not, but he used to carry it a lot of places. I think it's an SDC model...he would set up the canopy and everything. It was/is an older one.

Here's a link to the tv station report in Hazard, KY...which is nearby the festival. Reportedly, the ride op was arrested for alcohol intoxication.

http://www.wymtnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2378570 
orphaned
Sunday, October 3, 2004 8:34:15 PM
What was your girlfriend doing down that way this weekend 2ndgen? I thought you guys were in Prestonsburg?
cny_chris
Sunday, October 3, 2004 8:45:39 PM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 10/03/2004 : 8:33:11 PM by Bryan

<snip>
Reportedly, the ride op was arrested for alcohol intoxication.

Bad enough that there was an accident, then we have this little tidbit making the rounds in the press. Two strikes against the biz at the same time. Not good. [xx(][xx(][xx(]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 4, 2004 1:26:31 AM
I have seen the ride, even looked at it b 4 they bought it from a park on I 70 east in Ohio.

I think it may of been a friction drive style system, didn't know they still had it. The old Belgian Sobema units were center driven and I know of one whose gear box locked up and all the sweeps dumped into the center.

Excessive rpm's could have been the problem on Nolan's if they locked up the operator.
UserPostedImage
2ndgencarnie
Monday, October 4, 2004 9:35:37 AM
We were in Hyden last week. Prestonsburg is this week. She heard about and went over with Austin Evans and Kevin Nolan Sat. morning so they could see what happened since that is Kevins brother i guess they were concerned.
BSA Mike
Monday, October 4, 2004 10:20:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

Quote:

quote:

threw the kids to the ground when it derailed

Would that have to make it one of those little white and blue kiddie himmys?? My mind is drawing a blank on who makes them right now.

Venture
orphaned
Tuesday, October 5, 2004 11:14:16 AM
No. This is a full size Himalaya...not one of those kiddie ones. And surprisingly, it's being kept very quiet in the news media. They aren't jumping on the "all carnivals are death traps" bandwagon...but then again, this is in a very remote part of the state for the most part, away from the two largest cities (Louisville and Lexington)...its in the eastern KY mountains...so the isolation is probably the main reason there's not a lot of talk about it.
cny_chris
Tuesday, October 5, 2004 1:20:36 PM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 10/05/2004 : 11:14:16 AM by Bryan

No. This is a full size Himalaya...not one of those kiddie ones. And surprisingly, it's being kept very quiet in the news media. They aren't jumping on the "all carnivals are death traps" bandwagon...but then again, this is in a very remote part of the state for the most part, away from the two largest cities (Louisville and Lexington)...its in the eastern KY mountains...so the isolation is probably the main reason there's not a lot of talk about it.

Shhhhh... don't tell VA Inspector or Rep. Ed Markey.... they might turn it into a national spectacle.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
2ndgencarnie
Tuesday, October 5, 2004 1:37:44 PM
A buddy of mine said it was on the news in Charleston W. Virginia for 3 straight days.