Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 9:57:32 AM
Relatives in PA tell me that the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds was badly flooded last weekend by the Ivan storms. Reithoffer opens there this Friday and they are frantically cleaning it up. I couldn't find a link to a newstory about it but here is the fair's link.
http://www.bloomsburgfair.com/ 
It is definitely my favorite fair and it is a big one.
Check it out if you can and let's hope they get no more rain throughout the end of the fair.
z***found photos and news story:
http://www.wnep.com/Glob...2324790&nav=5juwR6uT 
DutchWheel9
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 1:59:08 PM
Hi Sue,

Do you know if any other carnival companies book in with Reithoffer at Bloomsburg or is it just Reithoffer rides?

Thanks.

Bob Eaton
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 2:05:34 PM
Pretty bad. That will affect the economy, the fair can only hope to get people in, perhaps a free gate might do it.
UserPostedImage
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:53:30 PM
Reithoffer may only book a couple pieces in at Bloomsburg. Last year there was a 2nd Wisdom Tornado and the rest was either Reithoffer's or Lauther's equipment.
fair claims they will be ready by Saturday. Vendors are being allowed back in Wednesday. Some rides were on the lot Monday.

For Bloomsburg midway details go to Harriett Midway site at:

http://midway.bloomsburgfair.com/ 
She'll have daily reports and many pictures. in fact she has 10 years worth of pictures linked there.
Jzrider0720
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:02:57 PM
bill, the link u gave is for the site that has the repots.

http://www.cannyhost.com/BloomsburgFair/  is the link that has 10+ years of pics
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:57:00 PM
Thanks Jzrider0519 for the update. I forgot that she has her own site for the pix.
I plan on being there Saturday or Sunday so I hope it dries out.
Bloomsburg hasn't got the biggest midway but its a large unique fair.
Last year 37 rides total but they don't have room for many more. And they had a Motordrome last year. Hadn't seen that one since 1987.

Last year the Tango came in late from Frederick, MD opening on Monday.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 7:33:33 PM

People will come out anyway, they don't need to offer a free gate.
It's a really big deal in that area. It's not a heavily populated area so the fair is something you attend every year no matter what.
I plan to be there on Sept 30 or Oct 1.
If anyone on MCW will be there those days, PM me.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:17:53 AM
I just got my phone here in Bloomsburg today. The fairgrounds was completely flooded as of Sunday but the water went down real fast. Reithoffer was setting up rides Monday. Today Wednesday, the fairgrounds is mostly set up and will open as usual Saturday. There was some damage to the stand under the grandstand and some water is still running out of there. It also will be ready to go. Everything here is back to normal.
Sixcats have nine lives
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, September 23, 2004 2:27:20 PM
Thank God the equipment, joints, concessions weren't already set-up or the fair wasn't already open at the time of the flood. It could have been a disaster. On short notice, there probably would not have been enough time to get most of the stuff off the fairgrounds.

The same weekend of the Bloomsburg flood, I was set-up on a carnival lot at a Fall Festival in Elkton, Maryland when (thanks to Ivan) without much warning, the carnival lot, streets (and everything else) was overtaken by rapidly rising flood water from the nearby Big Elk Creek.
In the time it took (about 20 minutes) to frantically take down flags, drop the marquee, fold in the scenery, rack some bars, take off the skirting and stow some other misc. pieces in the trailer, the water rose from ankle-deep to almost knee-deep (water was almost up to the floor of my trailer). By then the wood chocks from under the trailer tires were floating away. I had to have my grind show trailer pulled out of the lot. My poor trailer looked more like a boat while it was literally yanked off the lot over parking barriers, curbs and any other inanimate objects under the water...Luckily, I only ended-up with about an inch of water on the floor of the trailer.
Working in knee-deep water, The show managed to get a ground mount kid boat ride torn down and racked and some other equipment like a King train, the generator, junction boxes and ticket trailer off the lot. An attempt was going to be made to yank the kid airplane swing out but it was abandoned after the motor on the truck was about to stall out. Before long, the water was was almost up to the top of the fence and the trailer deck of the Fredericksen Fun Slide, the airplanes on the kid swing looked like boats in water, on a slightly higher end of the lot, the water was over the deck and up to the bottoms of the space vehicles on the Hampton space age ride. Due to swift currents, the decision was made to be less aggressive about getting equipment out. None-the-less. all afternoon, working in knee-deep to waist-high water with all types of objects floating by in the water, other stuff was gradually removed (such as joint trailers, popper trailer, stick joint, etc...). It was a mess, even the donnikers were overturned and floating in the water.

I've heard such stories over the years but this is the first time I've actually been caught in the middle of an actual flood.
Anyone else have similar stories to share ? (I'm sure SixCat does).

On the subject of the PA flooding, I got to thinking whether Knoebels'(near Bloomsburg) sustained any flooding- They've had many floods through the history of the park. Also, I saw news coverage on TV about how bad the flooding was in the Easton, PA area and thought about Bushkill Park (which has been known to have serious flooding over the years) - Also, MCW poster "KC", who last I knew hailed from the Easton area- Hopefully KC and AEB Amusements didn't have any damage from flooding.

SUE- It was a pleasure (and a surprise) to see you a couple weeks ago at the Blue Diamond Fair in Delaware. Unfortunately, you caught me off guard in my grimy, raggedy work attire- If I knew you were coming I would have changed clothes [:D]. Sorry you didn't get to see the grind show under actual operating conditions.
Hope you had a good trip. It sounded like you were covering a lot of territory the week I saw you- and you certainly covered a lot since.
P.S.: Sue, If you go to Bloomsburg, eat some Pierogi for me (and not the cheap imitation Mrs. T's deep-fried carnival variety- but the real homemade boiled ones, with butter and onions- Pierogi Joe's [:D])
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Thursday, September 23, 2004 3:09:30 PM
JW: It was a surprise to see you too. Hope that the fair in Del. went well.
Both Knoebels and Bushkill were flooded. I can't find any links about Knoebels but my sister told me it was on the TV news (Scranton stations). It was supposedly as bad as 1996.
I know Pierogie Joe real well, I visited him at Allentown too.

Here is a Bushkill press link:

Subject: Bushkill Park Flood - help needed
On Saturday, September 18th, Bushkill Park in Easton, PA became severely flooded from the recent heavy rains. The entire park was fully underwater and every ride and building is damaged, some far worse than others. The Pretzel building is completely gone now. The front wall and deck of the gift shop is completely gone. All traces of the miniature golf course have completely vanished. A tree lays across the mini boats. The wooden barrel and the lower floor of the Barl Of Fun are covered with mud and water soaked. A pavilion roof is laying on the ground up against a tree. At many places, the miniature train tracks are washed out. Other structures have just disappeared. And it goes on and on like that throughout the whole park.

But Bushkill Park has no intentions of giving and up and fully expects to be operating next spring. Cleanup will take a long time however. Park employees and volunteers are cleaning up as much as they can but they can still use help. They would welcome the members of enthusiasts groups who would want to volunteer their time to help with the cleanup. The first goal is to get the skating rink operating again, which is a major source of their revenue during the off season. The rest of the park needs to be cleaned. Everything is filled and covered with mud.

If you have an interest in helping, you can go to the park on Saturday (Sept 25th) or Sunday (Sept 26th) after 9AM. There will likely be cleanup going on during the weekdays and the following weekend too. Tell them you are from an enthusiast group and wish to help with the cleanup. You might consider taking a broom or brush with if you can and wear old clothes. Please email me and let me know if you can help and which enthusiast groups you belong to. I will then contact them with the number of people coming. You cannot call the park directly as the phones are out of service.

Directions to Bushkill Park from Route 22: Take the 25th Street/Wilson exit and go West (actually North) on route 248 for a little less than a mile. Turn right onto Park Road, just before the Palmer Park Mall. Go straight for almost a mile and look for the Bushkill sign on the right, along the creek. The park will be on your right, across the creek. When you see the park, turn right and cross the bridge. The parking lot will be on your right just after the bridge. Note that these roads were open on Tuesday when I was there, many other roads in the area were still closed. Also be careful for damaged roads in the area.

Even though Bushkill doesn't have the biggest rides, they have always been kind to enthusiasts who stop by for a visit. It is a unique park, like no other, one of Pennsylvania's family owned places of fun. It is the only place you can go in a Funhouse with a full size, wooden barrel. This is an excellent opportunity to give a little something back to an amusement park, at a time when they really need it.

To see how much work needs to be done, check out the pictures from Tuesday, September 21st
http://www.ridezone.com/...shkill/Flood04/index.htm 

Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested in helping. Thank you,

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, September 23, 2004 3:57:47 PM
Pictures from Knoebels showed it got right to the top of the banks but only flooded a couple kiddie rides. The park reopened Sunday. They really lucked out there.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, September 23, 2004 4:40:20 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by JW

I do. Back when I was lot man on Gillette shows we used to play Pittsfield, Mass fireman's muster for 4th of July. We got heavy rains for two days before we were supposed to spring. At 5 that evening, Jules came around and said the river which ran behind the grounds would flood in less then an hour. We rushed to get everything moved but here came the water. At that time I had 5 line up joint trailers and by the time we got to the last one the water was getting deep. My man David had to literally dive in the water and pin the hitch on underwater. We got it out but not a minute to soon. We laid the lot out up in the parking lot and worked a few days like that and moved back on the lot a few days later. The few rides that had to stay in the water didn't get hurt.
Sixcats have nine lives
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, September 23, 2004 6:07:48 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by JW

I've heard such stories over the years but this is the first time I've actually been caught in the middle of an actual flood.

They (Reithoffer)had it happen to them at Troy this year. I heard they pulled someone's house trailer out and the water just gushed out of the opening under the door.

Just a side note.... We'll have our machine gun somewhere around 7th and D at Bloom this year. A friend has the location and asked us to put something in it.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 24, 2004 5:40:36 AM
Sue has described an interesting country fair, I could use some fresh Grange Hall pancakes in the morning. It makes me want to strap some gear on the bike and make the 313 mile trip. anyone else contemplating the trip?
UserPostedImage