cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, September 2, 2004 10:45:16 AM
Hello to everyone, just had a chance to hop online, courtesy of the local cable company and their high speed internet service (think of a "fast" bird, lol). Beautiful day, crowd isn't too large, and the food is great. Working my way towards the midway right now, full report later![:D][:D][:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Monday, September 6, 2004 3:39:44 PM
Well, finally got home today, catching up on things before going back to work tomorrow, so time for that report.

The ride list already posted is complete. Not as impressive of a ride list as previous years, but given the overlap with Minnesota, not too many book-ons are probably available. Only some major empty spaces in the center of the midway behind some rides. This year brought the return of the sideshow to the fair, with two of them on the main midway.

General comments:

1. Bub count was above average -- high 90%'s -- rides that need bub work include the Thunderbolt and the Remix. Most other pieces were darn near or 100%.

2. A number of the rides now have message repeater boxes -- basically a box with 9 buttons on it that play prerecorded messages. In some cases they were being used in place of a mic man. I can see putting the safety things (like "put your heads back, the bars are coming down", "please wait until the ride has come to a complete stop", etc....), but the "let me hear you scream" and "do you wanna go faster" type messages seem a bit hokey. Noted these on the Bertazzon Musik Express, Reverchon Himalaya, KMG Fireball among other rides. Also noted this on Reithoffer's Tidal Wave when I saw it a couple weeks back. Not so sure that I like this trend....

3. Kiddieland was pretty busy. One corner was anchored by one of the new Denny's games with the big trailer and big prizes.

4. Given the number of empty advance sale ticket books littering the midway, this appeared to be a popular option this year. 24 tickets for $10 compared with 40 for $25 on the midway. Not as big of a savings as in years past, but still not bad.

5. Two major upcharge rides were set up in the infield -- a SCAD tower (freefall drop into a net) and a bungee ejection seat type ride. Took some video and pictures of them in action.

Fair Comments:

1. Spent two days at the fair, Thursday and Saturday. Beautiful weather both days, in fact only one really lousy day for the whole run this year. Attendance at the moment is slightly off, with about 902,000 through closing on Sunday. Looks like the 1 million mark may be broken, but probably not the record of 1,011,248 set in 2001.

2. Most of the usual vendors and exhibitors were present this year. A few understandable no-shows. Plenty of good, reasonably priced food if you knew where to look. Also plenty of freebies as well.

3. Model Circus and Carnival Exhibit was set up again. Some real nice displays, including MCW's own Bill P. A lot of patience involved in assembling the contents of that display. Bill has actually scratch built a lot of pieces, and they are very detailed and accurate. Bill even took the time to set up a close approximation of the actual 2004 midway in his layout. Nice job, Bill!

4. Grounds were pretty clean, employees were super nice (some very nice parking attendants), and the general appearance of the grounds looks to be good.

5. Plenty of animals, exhibits, vendors, etc. Took a lot of general fair pictures.

Overall, a very nice fair to attend, and plenty to do and see -- I spent 2 days there and still didn't see everything. I have plenty of pictures and video to share -- both of the rides and the grounds. Will be working to get them up when I get a chance. I'm already looking forward to 2005.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Monday, September 6, 2004 6:42:53 PM
Final numbers are in....

Total Attendance was 996,063
An increase of 7,941 from 2003's attendance

BSA Mike
Monday, September 6, 2004 7:21:42 PM
The voice boxes that you so dispise, are from audio innovators...

we have one on our alpine bobs, but the voice and stuff on it doesnt sound enthusiastic, so we don't use it

we also have on on our scooter that says "push down on the pedal and turn the wheel", please wait till all scooters stop, no head on collisions ..etc...
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Monday, September 6, 2004 7:28:33 PM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 09/06/2004 : 11:21:42 PM by BSA Mike

The voice boxes that you so dispise, are from audio innovators...

we have one on our alpine bobs, but the voice and stuff on it doesnt sound enthusiastic, so we don't use it

<snip>

Exactly..... the voice is sooooooo lame....[xx(][xx(][xx(]

Skywheelrider
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 3:45:39 AM
I heard this voice on Arnold Amusements' Scooter this year, makes you think you are at an amusement park. Sounds okay with the safety messages, but on a music ride? No way.

There is nothing like a good mic man and a good sound system. I would guess if Justin heard this on a music ride, he would have a heart attack. lol

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Jzrider0720
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 4:15:34 AM
i have a question. i have a book and a half of those advance sale ride tickets left. can i use them next year. when i went to use them yesterday i diont feel like riding much seeing ive been to the fair twice already.
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 4:32:31 AM
I've used leftovers the next year with no problems, and heck I've used them at other locations that Strates has been set up at. Most times the ops look at a ticket as a ticket, so long as it is genuine. HOWEVER, in the fine print on the back of the tickets, it states something to the effect that they can choose to honor these advance sale tickets only in the year that they were sold, and only at the event listed on the cover of the book. Should be no problem, but no guarantees......

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 5:04:33 AM
Thanks for the nice comments CNY Chris! My show is back in winter quarters as of 9:50 AM. Loaded the "train" (Chevy Venture) Monday night and drove it back to Rochester. Just finished unloading it a minute ago.
Sure glad I made that "Catproof" box for the two giant wheels and SkyDiver. While was bringing the boxes in my wife let the cats out to the breezeway and one had to get right on top of that box. Years back I had a Faller wheel trashed by a cat going through the folded top of a packing box. After that I took a TV set box and made a container for the wheels with a solid, double thickness top.

Got lost of requests for more rides. People want to see a Roll-o-plane and a Swingin Gym. Of course, there are some modern rides I still need to build too, like a Kiddie Himalaya & Zipper. Well, the Zipper is partially built. I have a trailer & boom that I built around 1989.

Bill P.
orphaned
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 7:27:40 AM
Hey, doesn't DC Lynch Shows or some show out in the midwest accept tickets from ANY carnival? I seem to recall reading this in the AB or somewhere. Perhaps you guys should make a road trip and use your tickets.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 3:35:54 PM
In case anyone who saw the NYSF Model Show wondered, it took me an hour and a half to pack my display last night.
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 4:13:10 PM
Dale stopped by our location and showed me a video of the Music Express with his box. The idea behind it is good especially considering the high number of non-English speaking employees. Dale is a frustrated DJ. I think he's also an occaisional lurker here. He's got a nifty setup (same as Lotman's?) for net service.

It's good to be home after 2 1/2 weeks on the road without any net.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

BSA Mike
Tuesday, September 7, 2004 7:14:40 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Hoffa

Dale stopped by our location and showed me a video of the Music Express with his box. The idea behind it is good especially considering the high number of non-English speaking employees. Dale is a frustrated DJ. I think he's also an occaisional lurker here. He's got a nifty setup (same as Lotman's?) for net service.

It's good to be home after 2 1/2 weeks on the road without any net.

yes, that is why we bought it, we have mexican employees running the ride sometimes... and they always run the scooter, so we bought 1...we probably would use the alpine bobs one if it didnt have a few flaws in directions (such as saying exit out the back of the ride)..but who knows
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, September 8, 2004 1:20:13 AM
Most likely the chips use an eprom burner, never touched one, but I sort of looked into it for the chips in the American Highstriker. A local techie might be able to burn new vocals for you.
UserPostedImage
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, September 8, 2004 3:12:30 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Most likely the chips use an eprom burner, never touched one, but I sort of looked into it for the chips in the American Highstriker. A local techie might be able to burn new vocals for you.

He's using a removable flash card, like in a camera.
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.