Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:02:10 PM
Spent another evening at the fair, hanging out for the most part next to my model layout in the Cozadd Building. (What part of DO NOT TOUCH do people not understand??)

Got to meet an MCW member, Dixon Britt from North Carolina, came through with his "posse" on the great midwest tour of shows. They were staying at the Hampton Inn next to the fairgrounds, so they decided to check out our little fair. lol Very nice guy, we chatted for quite a while.

I did get out and walk the midway this evening, took some early evening photos and then some night photos of Jules and Beck Combined Shows. Decent crowd, not bad at all for a Thursday night. They say attendance is up this year, that's great. (Of course, it was monster trucks night, too, I am sure that helped. lol) Anyways, here is the midway line-up:

Rides:
Mulligan Gondola Wheel
g/m Scrambler
Mulligan Sea Ray
Tilt-A-Whirl
Mulligan Sky Quest
Round-Up
Scooter 1400
Sellner Windjammer
Mardi Gras (Ray Kadluboski)
Super Slide (Ray Kadluboski)
Hampton Boats
Sellner Jalopy Junction
Orient Express coaster
Go-Forth F80 Jets
Dizzy Dragons
Bear Affair (Ray Kadluboski)

t/m Eyerly Roll-O-Plane racked in back, along with a popper

Rock Climbing wall (Ray Kadluboski)

Joints: Show: break a plate, duck pond, balloon darts, dozers, rope ladder, rising waters; Ray Kadluboski: Happy Hippos water race, Skee Ball Lightning, Terminator (machine guns), Midway Bowling (Bowler Roller)

Food: three indy grabs, Hawaiian smoothies, plus from the show Elephant Ears, a popper, and Tropical Treats

Had myself some Italian Sausage from D&S Concessions out of Lima, Ohio, it was excellent (I also have seen them this summer in Maumee Ohio at the Lucas County Fair and in Kendallville, Indiana at the Noble County Community Fair, they have come in and viewed the layout, and we have talked quite a bit this week, nice people).

Midway looks nice, Ray just took delivery of the rock wall, and his joints looked fantastic, nicely painted, 100% lit. Jules & Beck looked nice as well, although they need a new canvas top for the Scooter and they need to clean some canvas on a couple of other pieces. The Sky Quest is the "new and updated" Mulligan Swings, and is the only one Mulligan has built to date. I talked to John Arnold of Arnold Amusements a couple of months ago about their 1975 Mulligan Swings, and the subject of the Sky Quest came up, and from what he understood was that Mulligan had some manufacturing problems, and that there was really not much interest in the piece. Not sure why, because it is a very nice looking ride, colourful scenery, all turbo lights, very nice. And one more thing, this is the second time I have heard this, not sure if it is 100% true or not, but the ride ops on the Mulligan Wheel claim it is the one that was used in the Disney movie "Mighty Joe Young" and knocked down for the movie (explosives), and rebuilt. Now I know Amusements of Buffalo originally ended up with the wheel from the movie, and as soon as I mentioned that, they chimed in with the show got it from Amusements of Buffalo after the 2002 season (which would make sense, because it was "new" to Jules & Beck for 2003). Beautiful wheel, 100% lit, very colourful, nicest one I have seen, still looks brand new. Anyways, something to ponder, and if anyone knows for sure, feel free to post a response.

Well, I will be there tommorow evening after work as well, if anyone is in the area and wants to come on out. $3 gets you in, rides/games/food extra, free parking. Quirk Road, take the Belleville Road exit off of I-94 and head west on the north I-94 Service Drive, the fairgrounds is behind Wal-Mart. Supposed to rain some tomorrow (Friday), hope not much, or it finishes before the fair opens (4pm). Friday is Demolition Derby night as well.

EDIT: Correction on one of the joints, Rising Waters is not Kadluboski's, he has a Fill Er Up, not Rising Waters. Sorry 'bout that.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Friday, August 20, 2004 8:22:50 PM
Kinda slow night at the fair, I guess the rain all afternoon, and temps in the low 60's did not help. Did get a visit from some of the guys from Jules & Beck looking over my model layout, they liked it. Even talked a bit with Pat Guthrie, show owner, he was impressed as well. Kinda makes you feel good when a real show owner sees your work in miniature and tells you he likes it. Wouldn't matter either way to me though, I enjoy it, and I am happy with what I have. That's what matters.

Did find out a couple of things about Jules & Beck, got an answer on the Mulligan Wheel, and YES, it IS the one from the movie Mighty Joe Young, they DID buy it from Amusements of Buffalo after the 2002 season. And they have sold their Chance Music Fest I was told, and are looking at a Himalaya (did not say which one), and are waiting on a new Merry-Go-Round within the next couple of weeks. Going to Kentucky after our fair, for three spots. This show keeps growing and getting better. Nice show, our fair is really happy with them!

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Friday, August 20, 2004 9:42:15 PM
Didn't they aquire a spin out from half dollar shows??
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Skywheelrider
Saturday, August 21, 2004 5:24:43 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

Didn't they aquire a spin out from half dollar shows??

Well, yes and no. Guthrie Company did as I understand it and it was to be only used down south by Peachtree Rides and then J&B when they got down there. It needed a bit of work done to it.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 22, 2004 6:10:46 PM
j&b looked good. well lit and everything looked good at night. not very big but very clean looking. did not see it during the day. those mulligan swings looked sharp to me chris and the mulligan wheel is the best looking one i have seen. seems the lighting is much brighter than the other mulligans. those mulligan swings look better tahn the watkins swinger to me. we had a chance to talk to becky guthrie and she was most cordial to our group. enjoyed my stay except that was the hardest fair to gain admission to on our entire trip. had to wait for becky to bring passes out ot us.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, August 22, 2004 7:50:40 PM
Britt, it was great meeting you and your group. Thanks for the ballcap! I guess I should have given you my cell phone number, I had (and still have, lol) and stack of admission passes for the fair, since I was a "vendor." lol

It was a nice fair this year, they said attendance was up over the last couple of years, that's a good thing.

I enjoyed having a model layout there but if I was to do it again next year, I would definitely make some changes, especially on how close people can get. Barriers on all four sides along with "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" signs did not seem to be enough. Either that or some people just plain don't care what the signs say or that barriers are there for a reason. Sunday was teardown day, back home to the basement layout again. lol

Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Sunday, August 22, 2004 8:38:25 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Barriers on all four sides along with "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" signs did not seem to be enough. Either that or some people just plain don't care what the signs say or that barriers are there for a reason.

you need either a goon or bouncer. I suggest the goon
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Cstephens
Sunday, August 22, 2004 9:18:09 PM
kind of sad they sold the music fest, i'm sure they refurbished it very nicely. i wonder who has it know and i wonder why jules and beck sold it? oh well, a wisdom himalaya would be a nice addition if they decide to get one
Skywheelrider
Monday, August 23, 2004 3:59:03 AM
Ryan, I thought about that, lol. I guess I could have paid the guy that had the Mini-Nascar racing behind me and to the right. lol Pretty big guy. Shaved head, would have looked great (very nice guy though, very friendly).

Cstephens, I would agree, a Wisdom Himalaya would be just right for Jules and Beck.

I kicked myself Sunday afternoon, I left my camera at home (why, I don't know, I almost never do that) and there was all of Jules and Beck's equipment sitting racked at the fairgrounds, could have gotten some nice photos in the bright sunshine. DOH!

DutchWheel9
Monday, August 23, 2004 12:39:18 PM
Did you take photos of the rides at this fair, Chris?

Bob Eaton
Skywheelrider
Monday, August 23, 2004 1:16:34 PM
Yep, I took photos of "both" midways. lol Lots of photos. As usual. lol
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, August 23, 2004 5:07:58 PM
yea chris has pictures. when i visited he was going thru some and selecting them to post of another event. here he was at a fair, with part of his model carnival, did not have it all and working on his laptop editing pictures. chris, i told becky guthrie you had a model of her roundup. did she come by to see it?
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 10:02:32 AM
Hey Britt, had to have something to do while I was sitting there! lol Yep, many showpeople came and viewed the layout, including Pat Guthrie, first time I have met him, nice guy, passed me his business card and commented on how nice the layout looked. We talked for a little bit about his show.