Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, July 23, 2004 10:17:34 PM
Just got back from visiting Drew Expositions in Indianapolis. This is a beautiful show. Jimmy Drew is a showman who loves the nostalgia of the carnival industry. The show features the Seattle Wheel which has to be the most beautiful wheel on the road, a few old AH Merry Go Rounds, a Band Organ, and some modern pieces like the Huss Pirate, Reverchon Himalaya, and KMG Cyclops (Fireball). He always seems to come up with unique themes for his rides; Chainsaw (Zipper), Moon Rocket (Larson Fireball), and Russian Hammer (Kamikaze) to name a few.

This year he had a Motordrome booked in. These guys put on a great show and it is a Free Attraction on the midway courtesy of Jimmy Drew. Here's a couple pics of the 'Drome:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
orphaned
Saturday, July 24, 2004 3:43:57 AM
You are 100% correct on the Seattle Wheel...wow...what a piece. It is absolutely beautiful When I was by there last week and they were just starting to set up a few of their extra pieces, it looked like it would be a large midway. About how many pieces did Drew have set up?
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, July 24, 2004 5:38:32 AM
Perhaps the dromes are working as fixed fee attraction these days, since the ticket system may not be worth while. But being free is unusual on the midway.
UserPostedImage
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
Saturday, July 24, 2004 7:14:46 AM
Quote:

quote:

Bryan Posted - 07/24/2004 : 07:43:57 AM

About how many pieces did Drew have set up?

25 rides plus the Motordrome and Band Organ. Band Organ was not in operation when I was there. It was spotted on location but the awning was never opened. This was disappointing as the Band Organ is a beautiful piece.

Quote:

quote:

Pinetar Posted - 07/24/2004 : 09:38:32 AM

Perhaps the dromes are working as fixed fee attraction these days, since the ticket system may not be worth while. But being free is unusual on the midway.

You are correct, Free is very unusual anywhere. I figure that it is just a Jimmy Drew thing. I know he is in it to make money like everyone else, but he does a lot of things you don't see anywhere else. Alot of carnival history on his lot. They were accepting money donations at the end of the show for the "Riders Life Insurance Fund", but people were not required to give.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Saturday, July 24, 2004 8:24:19 AM
Was the bobs there???
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
barn
  •  barn
  • 50.06% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, July 24, 2004 8:25:06 AM
I remember Drews having a motordrome in the 60s when they used to come here in valpo
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
Saturday, July 24, 2004 10:08:23 AM
Quote:

quote:

Ryan Posted - 07/24/2004 : 12:24:19 PM

Was the bobs there???

Bobs is on the back lot racked along with the Century Wheel. They're using the Reverchon Himy for this spot and the Seattle Wheel.
BillReese
Saturday, July 24, 2004 10:50:39 AM
Ron, Do you have any pics of that Seattle Wheel? Please post them. I saw that ride a few years ago before it was restored and it was beautiful then even. How do you theme a Kamikaze Russian?
DOn't feed the trolls.
IndianaTED
Sunday, July 25, 2004 7:54:03 AM
I saw the "HAMMER" (aka Kamikaze) last week in Terre Haute IN. The Russian theme is done by painting the ride red and yellow and having the old USSR symbol of a hammer and sicle (sp?) intertwined on the center of the "cars".

I know, it seemed odd to me too.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.