Skywheelrider
Thursday, July 8, 2004 9:50:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

Hey Chris, have you ever met Dabbs in person? You have GOT to get to Gibtown this year...it, and he, is a HOOT! Ask CNY Chris or JohnC....ROTFLMAO....

No, I have never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. Only talked to him on the phone for a loooong time. Enjoyed the conversations though, a very candid and openly opinionated person, fun to talk to.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
bladerunner
Thursday, July 8, 2004 9:58:24 AM
are you going to gibtown this comming year chris? i plan to be there myself[8D]
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

Hey Chris, have you ever met Dabbs in person? You have GOT to get to Gibtown this year...it, and he, is a HOOT! Ask CNY Chris or JohnC....ROTFLMAO....

No, I have never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. Only talked to him on the phone for a loooong time. Enjoyed the conversations though, a very candid and openly opinionated person, fun to talk to.

Coastercameron
Thursday, July 8, 2004 12:40:05 PM
I subscribed to AB last year, and as my subscription gets closer to running out, I'm looking for a replacement. AB was good at first, but it has been going down hill.... and the 1st monthly issue really made me mad, they took away 3 weekly issues, and added a TON of stuff that looked like it could have been copy/pasted from Billboard. Also, they bulked up on like 20 pages of lists to make it look like you got 4x more magazine in the monthly, but you really got about 1 weeks worth of content IMO.... Oh well, at least I got a discounted rate.
bladerunner
Thursday, July 8, 2004 12:58:37 PM
i would have liked to subscribe to ab, ......but after looking at the price to subscribe iwas like no way[B)]
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

I subscribed to AB last year, and as my subscription gets closer to running out, I'm looking for a replacement. AB was good at first, but it has been going down hill.... and the 1st monthly issue really made me mad, they took away 3 weekly issues, and added a TON of stuff that looked like it could have been copy/pasted from Billboard. Also, they bulked up on like 20 pages of lists to make it look like you got 4x more magazine in the monthly, but you really got about 1 weeks worth of content IMO.... Oh well, at least I got a discounted rate.

Steve F.
Thursday, July 8, 2004 1:36:07 PM
Does anyone know why Amusement Buisness rips the logo from American Bandstand? I've always wanted to know that.

In that same vain I've also wondered why AofA rips the Olimpics logo and why Valley Amusements of NJ rips the Chance Rides logo.

Lots of logo ripping a-going on. [}:)]
Coastercameron
Thursday, July 8, 2004 3:11:09 PM
The logo is similar to Billboard magazine, because, they are owned by the same company. I'm not an expert on AB history, but things go way back between the 2 magazines, AB even used to be Billboard before it turned into 2 seperate magazines.
Matthew
Thursday, July 8, 2004 5:16:40 PM
Is there an issue of Carousel Magazine that has an article about the Holiday Bounce?
tamadachi76
Thursday, July 8, 2004 6:05:22 PM
Hey Chris, when was your first article or photo published? I got into the mag back in 91' I do remember a CH article on Pugh up at St Mary's Orchard Lake, I remember cause I noticed the Astroliner was listed, think that was the last year we ran with Pugh.
Have you paid your dues Jack? Yeah I paid my dues. The check is in the mail.
cny_chris
Thursday, July 8, 2004 8:59:41 PM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 07/08/2004 : 10:37:49 AM by Bryan

Lemme put it this way.... Dabbs is quite a character.... and a word of warning -- if he finds out that you DON'T subscribe to his magazine, he WILL NOT give up trying to sell you a subscription (heck, if you are a subscriber, he probably won't give up trying to sell you a renewal, LOL). [:D][;)][:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Steve F.
Friday, July 9, 2004 12:26:28 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

The logo is similar to Billboard magazine, because, they are owned by the same company. I'm not an expert on AB history, but things go way back between the 2 magazines, AB even used to be Billboard before it turned into 2 seperate magazines.

I know about Billboard and AB but whats the connection with American Bandstand?
Coastercameron
Friday, July 9, 2004 10:14:04 AM
I dont think thier logo looks like any American Bandstand logo I've seen. [?]
the_rock401
Friday, July 9, 2004 12:37:03 PM
The AB is way too expensive for this college student/carnival fan. I go over to the Minneapolis Public Library to read it.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you have to take a rain check.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL
Matt C.
Friday, July 9, 2004 10:45:25 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by the_rock401

The AB is way too expensive for this college student/carnival fan. I go over to the Minneapolis Public Library to read it.

I have been an AB subscriber for a few years now, and have enjoyed recieving it in the mail, however, with the decreased number of printed issues, and the lack of carnival articles, I decided not to renew my subscription. Why pay $129 a year for 12 issues and a password to read "breaking news" on their web site when you can pay $35 for Carnival for photos and semi reliable news or visit this site for free news that is probaly almost as current as the AB online?

In some ways, I miss it... but in many ways, I cannot blame anyone for not wanting to renew their subscriptions. I have talked to many show owners over the last weeks, and they too are disssapointed in the outcome of the ever popualar "Showmans Bible".
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
orphaned
Saturday, July 10, 2004 3:50:10 AM
Yes, Dabbs is the typical carnival type person....he's a nice guy, persuasive, got lots of jackpots and you wonder how many are true, a little eccentric...you all know the routine....I know he's had some past history with some of you all here and there are some people who don't like him...but heck, I say lets vote him in as Gibtown President!
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, July 10, 2004 5:31:12 AM
Matt, I have to agree with you. I have been a subscriber to AB since 1993. I enjoyed receiving a copy every week, and before this board was up and running it was the only way to get timely information.

I have also been a subscriber to Carousel "Carnival" magazine for the past ten years. I have no qualms with the magazine. It has come a long way in the last few years. Remember that the majority of information in it is supplied by us, the reader. Several of us on this board have been regular contributors. I myself have been absent from sending in information in the past due to job constraints, however I submitted articles regularly for several years. In addition, I have never met Charles Dabbs in person, but have had enjoyable phone conversations over the years. I consider him a friend. I appluad him for what he has done with Carnival.

In my opinion AB is over, gone, history. Who wants to pay a $100 plus for a monthly that has limited coverage of the industry. I currently subscribe to every carnival related publication out there and will always support any effort to provide coverage of a industry that I love, however AB has left me, not me leaving AB.