bladerunner
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 7:20:14 AM
i should be recieving my 1st copy of carousel soon! i cant wait[:D]
say, how is the magazine overall? also what other magazines are there to subscribe to? thanx bladerunner
orphaned
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 9:36:25 AM
Blade,

The main thing to remember about Carnival Magazine is that it is basically a fan based publication. The articles are mostly written by fans, not professional journalists, so you are likely going to find some things in there that aren't exactly accurate. But from a fans standpoint, the magazine is good because it will list ride lineups, show lot layouts and usually has some decent photos. I'm sure Charles Dabbs would let you write articles and send photos too...but you don't get paid for it...not even postage!
Steve F.
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 10:13:51 AM
The magazine is boring and black & white. This is coming from someone who has close to 200 of these magazines in the attic. Expect to read about Strate's carnival train and Butler Amusements a lot.
24hr.man
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 10:32:15 AM
Carnival Magazine is really lame. And they are never current, the old A.B. that was the bible of shows and showowners. I have a ton of stuff from the late 40s-80s but Iam not giving it away.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 10:40:25 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve F.

The magazine is boring and black & white. This is coming from someone who has close to 200 of these magazines in the attic. Expect to read about Strate's carnival train and Butler Amusements a lot.

Okay, let me calrify some misinformation from this gentleman. Carnival Magazine   is not all black and white. Quite a bit of it is in colour, and plans, according to what Charles Dabbs told me, are to add more and more colour. Do you still subscribe, Steve? And they are doing "History of Train Shows" not just Strates train. I find it fascinating myself (I am a history buff in general), although I can see why some think it has gone on too long. I write for the magazine, send photos, and sell it on the lots. I have sold subscriptions as well (Tom McDonagh of McDonagh's Amusements was one). I enjoy it. Yep, all volunteer, but it sure opens a lot more doors than being a plain old fan will do, I speak from experience. And Bryan is correct, being that it is not "professional" journalists that send in information, there is some misinformation, such as regarding identifying certain rides (like the June 2004 article on Wade in San Antonio), sometimes sizes of rides and/or number of trailers for transport, etc. But nothing that is outright glaring, IMHO. Heck, name one magazine out there that does not have some inaccurate information sometimes. If someone finds an error, point it out to them and they will run a correction. And as for the Butler Amusements articles, yep, usually once a year a nice article on Butler. Overall I think it is a fine magazine that has come a long way since I started subscribing back in April 1996. Yep, it was all black and white back then, but not anymore. This year they even added route listings each month. A nice magazine that is fan friendly and show folk friendly, and cheaper than the AB. You will enjoy it, and look forward to it coming each month.

Chris Hurley

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Missin it
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 10:49:21 AM
FINALLY A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ****IN MATCH!
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
bladerunner
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 11:20:38 AM
whats the website for the ab magazine?
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve F.

Okay, let me calrify some misinformation from this gentleman. Carnival Magazine   is not all black and white. Quite a bit of it is in colour, and plans, according to what Charles Dabbs told me, are to add more and more colour. Do you still subscribe, Steve? And they are doing "History of Train Shows" not just Strates train. I find it fascinating myself (I am a history buff in general), although I can see why some think it has gone on too long. I write for the magazine, send photos, and sell it on the lots. I have sold subscriptions as well (Tom McDonagh of McDonagh's Amusements was one). I enjoy it. Yep, all volunteer, but it sure opens a lot more doors than being a plain old fan will do, I speak from experience. And Bryan is correct, being that it is not "professional" journalists that send in information, there is some misinformation, such as regarding identifying certain rides (like the June 2004 article on Wade in San Antonio), sometimes sizes of rides and/or number of trailers for transport, etc. But nothing that is outright glaring, IMHO. Heck, name one magazine out there that does not have some inaccurate information sometimes. If someone finds an error, point it out to them and they will run a correction. And as for the Butler Amusements articles, yep, usually once a year a nice article on Butler. Overall I think it is a fine magazine that has come a long way since I started subscribing back in April 1996. Yep, it was all black and white back then, but not anymore. This year they even added route listings each month. A nice magazine that is fan friendly and show folk friendly, and cheaper than the AB. You will enjoy it, and look forward to it coming each month.

Chris Hurley

bladerunner
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 11:24:14 AM
thanks for all the replies[:D] i look forward to reading more about shows that i can't visit[8D]
Steve F.
Wednesday, July 7, 2004 8:45:00 PM
Of course with the internet these days, theres even less of a reason for what Carousel magazine was back in 1997. Actually maybe my last issue is 1998, I can't remember but I remember they were sending them to me for quite a while after my subscription ran out.

I don't know if the magazine has gotten any better since then. I "heard" they colorized SOME pages. Untill the entire zine is color I won't concider subscribing again. If I want to see a "weird" or "new" ride I can just come here and check out Sven's and Carnevil's posts for free. I also found it very disapointing that they didn't cover the Europian kirmes scene much at all. Maybe once every 8 issues they would post some killer (but b&w) photographs from Tomy Saurin(sp) but that was it.
orphaned
Thursday, July 8, 2004 3:52:45 AM
I haven't written for the magazine for a long time now...BUT, I can say that just about EVERY show owner I've talked to knows it...and some will even go as far to say they like it better than AB because it DOES contain more info on smaller shows. Some of you guys say its always Strates and Butler, but heck, AB is always Reithoffer, Strates and AofA and Wade. Everytime you pick up an issue of AB you see something on one of those shows....sure, Carnival is a bit dated....but you have to keep in mind that they are getting their articles from FANS who have attended fairs and Dabbs has trouble getting people to send in articles in a timely manner. There are times that it is slow and he is so desperate for new stuff in the magazine that he may put in a year old article....but you know what, if you weren't at that event, it doesn't matter if it's a year old or ten years old...you didn't see what was there and with that article you are able to find out what was there and what happened at that particular event.

I agree that the History of Train Shows is old. But Hurley is right...they are adding more and more color shots all the time. I find most of the color shots are of shows that Dabbs or Goga get out to see in North Carolina...Powers, Deggeller, AofA and the likes...but you sure don't see much in AB on shows like PBJ Happee Days, Casey's Rides, Michaels Amusements and many of the other smaller shows that I have seen in Carnival Magazine over the past few years.
orphaned
Thursday, July 8, 2004 3:54:57 AM
Also, Carnival SELLS the full front and back cover to shows so they get the entire spread. Shows like Butler, Reithoffer, Powers and AofA come to mind as having purchased that. So if a show like that is gonna spend big bucks to have the front and back cover wrap around panaorama of their show, you better dang believe I am gonna put some articles in there about their show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's only good business.
bladerunner
Thursday, July 8, 2004 4:54:41 AM
i found the website to ab magazine, the subscription prices are ridiculous[B)] lol
Skywheelrider
Thursday, July 8, 2004 5:57:59 AM
Yeah, I agree, AB is waaaay too expensive for what you get. I subscribed a couple of years ago and decided not to renew because it was not worth it to me. They still send me letters asking me to subscribe again, but still too expensive, IMHO.

Now, I am not saying Carnival Magazine is the greatest out there, but they do a good job with what they have. Bryan is right, half the battle is getting us contributors to send in our info and/or photos in a timely manner. Charles Dabbs told me that if they could just get over that hump, the magazine would be 100% better. I know I am guilty of hanging onto to stuff and procrastinating in sending it sometimes.

And they do promote the smaller shows, too, in addition to big shows, something I always thought AB was lacking, somewhat. Mr. Dabbs actually requests more and more info and stories on small-medium shows. They want to help promote these shows, because in Mr. Dabbs opinion (and I agree) if it was not for these shows, many, many fairs and festivals would not ever get a carnival midway. So it is only right to promote them, they are just as much a part of the carnival industry as the big shows like Wade, A of A, Reithoffer, RCS, Butler, etc.

Buying those covers are not cheap, either. Like $1000 each, from what I understand, so yeah, your show buys that, I am going to make sure there is an article with some colour photos inside showcasing your show in that same issue. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall a fine magazine that I look forward to each month. I only wish the US Postal Service was more consistent in their delivery times! lol lol

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
bladerunner
Thursday, July 8, 2004 6:04:01 AM
i look foward to it![:D] say are there lots of pics? close ups of ride art?
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Yeah, I agree, AB is waaaay too expensive for what you get. I subscribed a couple of years ago and decided not to renew because it was not worth it to me. They still send me letters asking me to subscribe again, but still too expensive, IMHO.

Now, I am not saying Carnival Magazine is the greatest out there, but they do a good job with what they have. Bryan is right, half the battle is getting us contributors to send in our info and/or photos in a timely manner. Charles Dabbs told me that if they could just get over that hump, the magazine would be 100% better. I know I am guilty of hanging onto to stuff and procrastinating in sending it sometimes.

And they do promote the smaller shows, too, in addition to big shows, something I always thought AB was lacking, somewhat. Mr. Dabbs actually requests more and more info and stories on small-medium shows. They want to help promote these shows, because in Mr. Dabbs opinion (and I agree) if it was not for these shows, many, many fairs and festivals would not ever get a carnival midway. So it is only right to promote them, they are just as much a part of the carnival industry as the big shows like Wade, A of A, Reithoffer, RCS, Butler, etc.

Buying those covers are not cheap, either. Like $1000 each, from what I understand, so yeah, your show buys that, I am going to make sure there is an article with some colour photos inside showcasing your show in that same issue. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall a fine magazine that I look forward to each month. I only wish the US Postal Service was more consistent in their delivery times! lol lol

orphaned
Thursday, July 8, 2004 6:37:49 AM
Hey Chris, have you ever met Dabbs in person? You have GOT to get to Gibtown this year...it, and he, is a HOOT! Ask CNY Chris or JohnC....ROTFLMAO....