Saturday, March 20, 2004 2:43:38 PM
--[ Topic Split from the Space Roller thread ]--

squirrel
Thursday, March 25, 2004 2:50:09 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve F.
Sound system? Ohh god yes!!!!!

The sound system they currently have is totaly battered and rinsed out. I gave them one of my mix CDs last year and while they appreciated the CD and hooked me up with a space roller sticker + rides, the sound system wasn't sounding as fresh as I thought the space roller sound system would sound.

Surly the most expensive touring ride in America deserves a "Twilo" quality sound system.... you know a Turbo Sound rig or something to that effect. I really do hope they do something about the sound this year. I'll be giving them my CDR mixes to play anyway because it was quite a rush to be riding that wonderful machine while hearing Soapbar Records 001 (Joint Project "Total Feeling") playing in the background.... even at a low volume it was _very_ stimulating and it made me happy that the Space Roller crew was hip enough to play obscure uk hardcore rave tracks.[:D]

Man, you kill me sometimes (and I don't mean by laughing)...

Have you ever moved a ride? Have you ever done it for a season? Do you know what kind of abuse a carnival ride sound system goes through in a season? I don't care if the speakers travel in padded containers and everything's rack mounted. Ride operators have 347238724 other things to worry about with a ride other than their sound system. Considering it's the least of their worries, it will receive the least of their 'care' in handling, transport, use and operation.

Many ride operators suffer from the same disease. It's called 'TurnItUpSoLoudItBlowsUp Syndrome'. The better a sound system you give them, the more they tear it up. You could build a 50,000 watt 8 speaker system for a Himilaya that supposedly they can't blow up (with compressors, limiters, and the likes), but then you have to contend with the other famous disease suffered by music ride ops, which is 'TurnItUpSoLoudYouGetComplaints Disease'.

I have come up with a much better solution, but until I get it patented I'm not saying jack about it, because I'm going to get phat paid from this setup when it's all over. Show owners will love it because I have finally found a way to 'eliminate' the risk of foul language and unpredictable music coming off the rides causing customer complaints of all kinds (like a music ride planted near kiddie land that plays music not appropriate for little ears)...
gruelurks
Thursday, March 25, 2004 4:00:56 AM
secret.squirrel: So you're gonna implement a wireless network that streams show approved music mp3s from the front office to the various music rides, removing the need for the ops to handle the DJ chores?

:-)
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 25, 2004 4:26:20 AM
hey squirrel, i have observed both of those problems with sound on rides, foul language and hurting your ears, problems with upkeep, stolen systems, etc. has anyone tried the xm or some other satelitte systems on rides? there is a need for music but where do you draw the line. maybe a new thread about sound on rides is needed.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, March 25, 2004 4:49:30 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by britt

hey squirrel, i have observed both of those problems with sound on rides, foul language and hurting your ears, problems with upkeep, stolen systems, etc. has anyone tried the xm or some other satelitte systems on rides? there is a need for music but where do you draw the line. maybe a new thread about sound on rides is needed.

McDonagh's Amusements uses XM Satellite Radio on their Wisdom Himalaya. That was their way of eliminating the chance of operators playing somthing inappropriate. [^]

I think music on a ride and a decent sound system is important on certain rides, but I too do realize the limitations with money, replacing stolen and broken systems, etc.

I witnessed two incidents last season of foul language in music on rides--J&J Amusements' Thunderbolt in Battle Creek, and Schmidt Amusements' Gravitron at, of all places, a church festival in Detroit. One four letter word after another, disgusting that the operators would even think it was okay to play. [xx(]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
squirrel
Thursday, March 25, 2004 5:06:06 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by gruelurks

secret.squirrel: So you're gonna implement a wireless network that streams show approved music mp3s from the front office to the various music rides, removing the need for the ops to handle the DJ chores?

:-)

It's something like that, but the whole problem with streaming media would be the overhead and needs for a 'server'. My means involve a 'music-box' on the ride, but the only access granted is a volume knob and a power switch. The rest of the system is sealed and non-user accessible (owner access with key). The volume knob is only inline behind the 'master limited volume' as well (so the user's volume can't exceed the 'masters setting'. They plug it in, turn it on, and within 2 minutes, music starts and runs all day. Random playlist, all clean music, and can be geared 'per ride'. For shows that wanted 'synchronized music' throughout the midway, this could still be achieved, but it would require a server of some sort and that's not an option most show owners wish to contend with.
squirrel
Thursday, March 25, 2004 5:09:18 AM
Quote:

quote:

I have seen the XM used in a couple places, but I note the following about it:
1. Requires subscription service (usually for each XM device present - could mean lotsa monthly costs for a show with many music rides).
2. Requires specialized antenna hookups and hardware.
3. Not always available everywhere (I don't care what they tell you).
4. XM, because it is subscriber based instead of 'public domain' like FM or AM is not restricted by the FCC. This means that there are no language barriers or anything like that compared to a controlled music environment (like CD's or FM-Radio).

Those are just my opinions about the subject. Many shows like the XM concept, and have found a solid use for it. It's just not for me [8D].
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 25, 2004 5:16:00 AM
i have observed music used as both an attractor and distractor. sometimes crowds of, less say undesirable, patrons gather around a ride that was playing their type of music but to disperse them the operator switched to another format and they moved on down the midway. will your system allow that?
squirrel
Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:32:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

i have observed music used as both an attractor and distractor. sometimes crowds of, less say undesirable, patrons gather around a ride that was playing their type of music but to disperse them the operator switched to another format and they moved on down the midway. will your system allow that?

It will use a random playlist, but there will be a 'next' button for sure as well as a couple other features like 're-shuffling' of the playlist, ability for owners to add new music. I'm still working out the plan but it's definately a 'true solution to the problem' even at this stage.
orphaned
Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:38:32 AM
As a subscriber to XM, many of the channels that play the music that the "kids" want to hear play the R and NC17 versions. They do not typically play the "edited" versions you get at Wal Mart. We're talking all of the words you dont want your kid hearing.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:46:28 AM
The best thing goint is the mp3 player; iPod of course.
UserPostedImage
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:48:57 AM
My mom just got an ipod , she bought the second best one sony makes . She downloads all her music , and listens to it during her chemo . S.S. sounds like you're on to something !

So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
squirrel
Thursday, March 25, 2004 10:05:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by bigeli

My mom just got an ipod , she bought the second best one sony makes . She downloads all her music , and listens to it during her chemo . S.S. sounds like you're on to something !

Something like an iPod, but much more advanced, with the ability to store 'days' of CD quality music (320kbps MP3's, not the low-bitrate MP3's that would be required to store enough 'variety of music'. The point is to be able to offer 'days' of music to the operator so there's not so much repeat going on. Plus, I don't like the idea of having to go through the iTunes software to deal with the music upload/download to use the iPod (even through the iPod is easier to use).

My current music selection in my personal library numbers over 2400 tracks (about 175 hours total), but requires over 18 gigs to store (and no, I don't share my music on p2p either, so don't anybody ask). Granted not all of this music would hit every music-box. It would be divided up depending on what the ride requires for music.
Carnie_Joe930
Thursday, March 25, 2004 11:19:29 AM
I'm going with multiple MP3 players on my Trabant. Each one will have different genres of music--oldies, hip-hop, pop, dance, classic rock, metal, etc. I took my mixing board and set all slide controls to where I wanted, then put sheetmetal screws in the slots. Closed off the top with 1/8 aluminum plate to make it goof-proof. I left access to the on/off switch and volume control(after setting the limit on the master volume) so the operator could turn the music down during loading, unloading or if they need to talk on the mike.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 25, 2004 11:25:26 AM
Don't know about the pc, but as soon as I plug the ipod into the firewire on the mac, it automatically syncs the mac to the ipod but only on a designated mac. If I switched macs, it would dump and load what is on the new mac. However, there is a cheap program called hijack pro to copy your ipod to the desktop. No clue on the pc.

Having 2 is good, great for a backup if necessary.

http://store.apple.com/1...1.0.5.21.1.3.1.0.0.0.1.0 

40 gigs, 10,000 songs, $5 yards.
UserPostedImage