Missin it
  •  Missin it
  • 70% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 9:56:40 AM
Am I losing my mind or am I just plain nuts? I make great $$$$$(not enough to buy new joins or rides though),have a wife and 2 kids yet I am constantly trying to figure out a way for me to get back in the biz without getting a divorce. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:31:01 AM
Dude, Keep the wife and kids... they are far more important than carnival life. Keep your day job and moonlight with a local show. I"m sure they'd love to have some teardown help and a driver if you have a CDL. No law says you can't be "part time Carnie, and Full time Husband and Dad"
3rdGenOwner
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:35:11 AM
Missing it,

If I honestly could make alot of money, and stay in one place, and have a wonderfull family.

Id take it.

I like the business Im in, BUT, If I had a chance for equal or a little less money, and stay home, and have a family.

Id take it.

Just bein honest! [:)]
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:36:55 AM
That's why i don't travel anymore , family life is too good .
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
Missin it
  •  Missin it
  • 70% (Friendly)
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:39:23 AM
Maybe if I just get a simple joint or a Hi-Striker, and play local festivals and such. Anyone have any suggestions for a low cost start up?

"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:43:54 AM
Festivals are very hard to get into , unless you know the organizers and can play their "game" you will have difficulty w/ a steady route . Have you considered concessions ? Hot dog carts at local little league parks on the weekends , outdoor gatherings and such . It's an option , and if you're a real agent you can sell anything , try retail . We do in excess of a million a year just in sales , there will always be people who wanna buy somethin' . Get creative...
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 1:50:25 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Missin it

Am I losing my mind or am I just plain nuts? I make great $$$$$(not enough to buy new joins or rides though),have a wife and 2 kids yet I am constantly trying to figure out a way for me to get back in the biz without getting a divorce. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been in that situation. Stay with the family. Stay with the job. Work local spots or something if you want to stay in the biz.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 1:56:57 PM
Stay home, build models, chat with the bros.
UserPostedImage
LuckyStar
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 2:06:23 PM
What part of NY are you in? If you are closer to the city there are tons of festivals you can play and be in the atmosphere yet still enjoy the family life. I am in NJ now and plan on playing the few fairs that come by my way. Most people are pretty good with my job and understand and luckily my job is pretty cool about it also. The extra money is always good! [:D] I don't think I will ever get this lifestyle out of my blood but I have too much to lose and don't want to start ALL over again.
Missin it
  •  Missin it
  • 70% (Friendly)
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 2:50:50 PM
Don't get me wrong I will never give up the family life. But there always going to be a part of me that wants some of that other life back. So far the wife looks at me funny when I mention the past. I can remember the first time I told her about being out on the road with A of A, she says I ran away with the "circus" (little does she know!!!!). I am now living in the lower Hudson Valley region in NY.
I really started missing it when I went out and booked a small show for my Volunteer Fire Dept (June 10-13th)For now I will continue my normal Life and continue my search for the opportunity to stay home but keep part of the "LIFE" going.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming folks all input is welcome!
V. Boombotz

cny_chris
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 3:21:23 PM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 03/17/2004 : 7:50:50 PM by Missin it

I am now living in the lower Hudson Valley region in NY.
I really started missing it when I went out and booked a small show for my Volunteer Fire Dept (June 10-13th)

Hey! Welcome to the board, from a fellow Hudson Valley resident. Glad you found the board. What Fire Department and what show? I'll have to add it to my calendar...[:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
tamadachi76
Wednesday, March 17, 2004 6:37:47 PM
Just do the Weekend Warrior thing man. It works well for me. Heck maybe she can help ya out, that's why my girl does and we do fine. The best thing in my opinion would be to do a business on the side, find a nice niche and build it up and eventually make that your B&B.
Have you paid your dues Jack? Yeah I paid my dues. The check is in the mail.
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, March 18, 2004 6:30:38 AM
Im the lil evil guy[}:)] Get back out there, you can remove your self from the carnival biz but you can't remove the carnival biz out of yourself.[}:)]
Missin it
  •  Missin it
  • 70% (Friendly)
Thursday, March 18, 2004 6:49:44 AM
I'm bringing in Castle Rock Shows (art gillette) I'm with the Wallkill FD. Thoughts on Castle Rock anyone? So far Art has been very easy to work with. We are bringing in 12-14 rides 6-12 joints and the FD will run a Dunk Tank. Thoughts?
V. Boombotz

bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, March 18, 2004 6:53:45 AM
Sounds like a winner to me !