JOHN C
  •  JOHN C
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 3:44:11 AM
i'm sure there are still a couple shows that may still carry one....but does anyone know of shows that do??? how many are still around?
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
LONNOL
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:07:16 AM
I can't help you with shows, but one is at Coney Island in NY (I believe owned by the Kaufman family) and another is at Quassy Amusement Park in CT.

Adam
www.flatrides.com : Pimp-slapping you with all your flat ride needs.
orphaned
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:13:58 AM
Last time I saw one the now defunct Golden Empire had one. I believe Sutton shows also had one at one time, but I can't recall for sure. I haven't seen one for YEARS.
JOHN C
  •  JOHN C
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:22:18 AM
i saw one in a lot in gibtown but it looked like it hadnt been used in years
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
orphaned
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 7:15:38 AM
That's the one that sits over there where Jimmy Otterbacher parks his stuff isn't it?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 3:32:45 PM
Last Sat Six I saw was about 3 years ago booked on Amusements of Buffalo, possibly by Dan (Don?) White or A & E Amusements.
jay
  •  jay
  • 50.66% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 3:53:23 PM
Wabash Valley Shows has one. I talked to the owner not to long ago and he said he hasn't used it the last 2 seasons but plans to bring it out again. They play In. and Il.
http://jessopamuse.com 
How you make a small fortune in the carnival bussiness.
Start with a large one!
Matthew
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:00:50 PM
There's at least one here in Canada. Don't know the names of the shows though.
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:17:16 PM
Every year during the trade show, A&E's saturn six is usually parked in their lot in Gibsonton. It looked like a very nice one. Unfortunately, this year I didn't go around their lot.
Does anybody know if they still have it ?

I may be wrong, but for some reason I'm thinking the ride at Coney Island was an old Herschell "hurricane" (?)

This year during the Gibtown show, I saw a "saturn six" zoom-by on Highway 41- Acually, I think it was called "star fire" (or something like that). Either the tractor pulling it, or the ride itself had JCJ Amusements on it. I remember a few years back Mulligan built a newer "saturn six". Could be that the ride I saw in Gibtown was this same ride, or perhaps it was a older "re-themed" ride (went bye too fast to tell- LOL).
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
BeauceCarnavalMan
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 5:41:13 PM
Whitehills Amusments /Classic Amusements (Tom Wilcox) from London/Toronto own one
BeauceCarnavalMan
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 6:08:30 PM
Sat Six I saw on Amuse of Buffalo had red and blue turbos all over it. Looked great but the day I saw it the arms only lifted about 50% of the way up not the "slightly greater than 90 degrees I remember from the 70's with the gas engine.
Pictures posted on webshots at:
http://community.webshot...om/album/124367590qifdla 

I remember a show that had a garden hose running in the radiator of their Saturn Six. Every time the engine reved up to lift the arms the water'd shoot 30 feet into the air. Kind of a neat effect.
Cstephens
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 7:49:13 PM
basicly i don't think there are too many saturn 6's out there on the road. it reminds me of the hurbetz hurricane. i've seen several pics of several hurricanes built by hurbetz, kilinski and of course dartron. the downdraft is the updated version of the hurricane and dartron is currently building it. since there are still a lot of hurricanes and downdrafts out there on the road. there are probly only a handful of saturn 6's left operating in north america. i'm sure trying to find one of those saturn 6's is no easy task
orphaned
Wednesday, March 10, 2004 4:08:45 AM
Am I wrong, or was the Hurricane based on the Saturn 6? DUH?
dccradio
Wednesday, March 10, 2004 4:20:37 AM
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 10, 2004 5:41:59 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

Am I wrong, or was the Hurricane based on the Saturn 6? DUH?

Yep, the Hrubetz/Dartron Hurricane is. Allan Herschell originally came out with the Hurricane (I want to say late 1940's?) and then Mulligan based the Saturn Six on the Hurricane (they look identical), then Hrubetz introduced their Hurricane. The difference is that the Allan Herschell/Mulligan versions have seats that do not level off parallel to the ground, while the Dartron/Hrubetz Hurricane seats level off. [:)]

Last time I saw a Saturn 6 set up was 2002, traveling with Double D Amusements here in Michigan. I never saw it run, and Ray Davis said they had a ton of trouble getting it to run. That Saturn 6 is currently sitting in a storage yard in Plymouth Township, Michigan, right down the road from where I work. [:)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain