Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, March 8, 2004 6:21:36 PM
I spoke to someone who played a date with a semi-conventional major ride, 10 days with a steady 4hrs of pop action. What do you think his net from the show was for those 10 days?

I will not mention the show, dates or which ride.
UserPostedImage
cny_chris
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 12:27:16 AM
It had to be either (1) real good, or (2) real lousy, or else you wouldn't have mentioned it, Pinetar. I'm betting on real lousy, given the "semi conventional" ride, and the POP. But not knowing the piece, the event, or the folks involved, I can only speculate.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:08:58 AM
I'm sure he done really well got paid by the office really lousy. I"ve heard too many stories like that. That's why your indys are leaving the road... just can't work for free.
orphaned
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:13:01 AM
Pinetar, will you at least categorize the "semi-conventional" major term? Like a Scrambler, Round Up, Paratrooper, Wheel piece?
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 4:42:24 AM
No, I won't name the ride, but his end was $125. per day. The ride op is from a small show who thought he could make a few bucks in the winter with a nice clean piece. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. The contracting show can operate just like a mall, if you make money, they want it all. Someone will always jump in to take your place and it applies to rides, food and games.

I'm not complaining, I'm just showing how bus. works and not every bus. deal works out.
UserPostedImage
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 5:53:50 AM
I know a guy who had a 3 trailer Spectacular ride from Germany, booked it on a major show, rode Thousands on a P O P day and at the end of the fair got paid 200.00 bucks ( yeah you read it right, 200.00 dollars) for the P O P.
crazyspin
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 6:43:03 AM
$125 per day! Thats real bad! [V]
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 8:23:09 AM
Dear All,

Well I am sure that what I am going to say is going to bother someone, but well, I am going to say it anyway. Everyone on here wants to see the bigger better rides, but the shows are unwilling, for the most part, to go out and buy them. So people have been making the suggestion that the independents need to go out and buy them. This thread illustrates far better than I could why we (most independents) can not just go out and buy the rides and then book them at the big fairs. For the most part Fiars are all having more and more POP's and that means working harder and harder for less and less money. For a POP fair, you get just as much money whether you run 10,000 people, or you run 10, that is why the shows are not buying big rides, becuase for the most part, they dont have to. As for me, I am in the same boat as the others, I work hard at a big fair, and get told that I only earned $125 if I am lucky on some days. I will not begin to say that my ride is better than a himalaya,I know better, but I do know how many people I can put through in an hour, and how hard I work for it, and to me, POP's are not worth it. I work hard for almost nothing with them. This is just my opinion and my experience so take it for what it is worth. Again, if you want to see more big rides, stop buying POP's and start helping us pay for the ones we have, with Tickets, then we can move on to bigger and better. I know that some are going to say that they just cant afford to buy the Tickets. Well that is a problem, I would suggest that the people who cant afford to help us pay for the rides, dont tell us what it is you want to see. You, along with the insurance and other costs are the reason that there arent more of those rides. In Europe there are no POP's, that is why they have better rides at the fairs. Everyone who rides a ride there, pays to do so. Where as here, we all want it for almost nothing. Anyway, I didnt mean to go on a ramble like this, I am sure that I have upset some people, I really didnt mean to, but I did want to voice my opinion on this subject since it is very close to my own situation. Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
3rdGenOwner
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 8:30:15 AM
SPEAK THE GOSPEL JIMMY D.

Pop's raising gate prices, and carnivals giving too much money to fairs, are ruining this industry.
orphaned
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 8:32:24 AM
Jimmy D, I see your point and I think it is a point well taken. But consider this....

We keep hearing about how fewer and fewer people are coming out to the fairs....and when they do, they aren't spending as much per cap as they used to....people are taking their kids to the theme parks where they can pay $40 and get in and ride from open to close and in doing so ride BIG BIG rides....all you have to do is look at the overall U.S. attendance for theme parks and compare that to the top 50 fairs and you'll see what I'm saying

So therefore, I think in an effort to attract the business is one reason fairs are pushing so hard for P.O.P's. HOnestly, as a fair board member, I think the fair boards too could probably make more money with a straight gate and midway ticket sales. We've gone over this all before.

My fair, although small, spends upwards of $70,000 on entertainment on the track for every night. This includes premiums, truck pulls, tractor pulls, demo derbies, beauty pagents, talent shows, mud races, etc...all the typical fair stuff. We charge $7 to get in...all POP..then have to give half of that to our carnival It's a great deal for the consumer...and our carnival advocates POP...but I think if our fair charged $3 at the gate...and then took 25% of the ride gross, we'd make more. But, when every fair around us is POP, what are we supposed to do?
3rdGenOwner
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 8:36:02 AM
Ohio State Fair was ruined by POPs.

LA County Fair was ruined by POPs.

1 Gate Promotion = 3 Ride promotions.
orphaned
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 9:01:12 AM
THOSE are LARGE fairs. RCS doesn't play any small fairs, so I'd venture to say you don't know much about the little guys...nor the little shows. You've made it pretty clear that you do know all about RCS and the big, great fairs that they play. Plus, from all I've read it appears you only work part time for a company that books on some pieces with RCS so I doubt seriously you've had much experience with the finances of a show or a fair and I doubt that you even understand that concepts behind accounting, profit versus loss, cost analysis and more....so don't go sticking your foot in your mouth...I'd be careful and stick to what you know...which is obviously how to run a Tango or a Top Spin and just leave it at that.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 10:24:18 AM
All I know about Costs is they're too much for independent rides!
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 10:28:28 AM
Played a spot, came in 3rd, only beat by giant wheel & Flume.
Ride gross was $120,000 that day with 27 rides. My end was $650!!!
3rdGenOwner
Tuesday, March 9, 2004 11:03:35 AM
Bryan,

You dont even know who I am [:)]

Im finding this bashing me, saying I have no clue what Im talking about hilarious.