Bossman
  •  Bossman
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:47:16 AM
Last week, when I posted the question to the Ohio Showman concerning fencing regs. in their state, I received excellent feelback not only on fencing, but of lead line coverings and another important use of the claw hammer. Thank each and every one of you for your input. I think it is important to know what each state requires and it help us know how to better improve our shows.

NC has a 100% rule the if one tub of a ride is not working properly, the whole ride is shutdown until the repairs are made and reinspected. We could at one time tie off or tape down the broken tub and operate the ride. Do other states have this same rule?

I would like to know from the Ohio Boys and anyone else concerning this requirement.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:50:18 AM
I know Michigan does not have the 100% rule you speak of, because I have seen many rides operate with a tub or two roped off (even last year). In some cases a heavy duty zip tie is used to hold the lap bar in place (right Justin? [;)]). [^]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
JustinJames
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:57:54 AM
Actually, yes. I had two tubs down for a while on the Wipeout this year. The heavy ties were for the purpose of keeping the bar DOWN so people WOULDN'T get in it. Doesn't always mean much though. People are stupid, you could put a skull and crossbones, nuclear warning signs and barbedwire[:(!] on the broken seat and they'll still try to break it open to sit in it.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:06:40 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

Actually, yes. I had two tubs down for a while on the Wipeout this year. The heavy ties were for the purpose of keeping the bar DOWN so people WOULDN'T get in it. Doesn't always mean much though. People are stupid, you could put a skull and crossbones, nuclear warning signs and barbedwire[:(!] on the broken seat and they'll still try to break it open to sit in it.

Yeah, I remember how ticked off you were. That is why I mentioned it. Was in Fowlerville, wasn't it? [^]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
cny_chris
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:11:13 PM
New York allows rides to operate with a tub that is not working properly. Seen it many times on the Tango, Himmys, etc.

Florida also allows this as well. They have a "red tag" that gets looped around a visible location on the tub/seat. Both the Tango and Turbo Force were operating under this situation at the FSF.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
JustinJames
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:27:57 PM
Yup it was in Fowlerville. I wanted to choke those little terds!!![:(!]
JOHN C
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 4:43:23 PM
not mentioning any names of shows but we attended a fair in florida a few days ago where the orient had duct tape stretched over the first tub not allowing anyone to sit there...but i didnt see any red tape
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
BSA Mike
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 4:48:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JOHN C

not mentioning any names of shows but we attended a fair in florida a few days ago where the orient had duct tape stretched over the first tub not allowing anyone to sit there...but i didnt see any red tape

Yupp i saw that...not gunna mention any show names .....
Skywheelrider
Thursday, February 12, 2004 3:31:13 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JOHN C

Oh wow, duct tape--"I CAN FIX ANYTHING AS LONG AS I HAVE SOME DUCT TAPE!" lol. I have seen duct tape used a lot on "closed" tubs on a ride. At one spot back in 2001 Pugh had, if I recall correctly, four or five tubs criss-crossed with duct tape on their Musik Express. Also, in 2000 Crown Amusements had duct tape holding up part of the scenery on their Starship 2000 in Belleville, Michigan. And I have been on a few Gravitrons that have had duct tape all over on the inside, nothing like riding the Gravitron with duct tape rubbing your back, lol. [^]
Carnie_Joe930
Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:58:09 PM
Now for some good news......duct tape is currently available in colors![:D]
Skywheelrider
Friday, February 13, 2004 2:01:34 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Carnie_Joe930

Heh, not only that, but all sizes (width, amount on roll), etc. I sell a bunch of it where I work. That being said, if a show needs some....[^]
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, February 13, 2004 1:30:04 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Carnie_Joe930

Wal-Mart has Red, White, Blue, Camoflage, and Hillbilly Chrome.....ehh Silver.