BSA Mike
  •  BSA Mike
  • 59.16% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, February 8, 2004 2:42:47 AM
saw 3 different orbiters at 3 different lots all were either removed from the lot (Florida State Fair) or shut down (Wade at university mall and Wade/Murphy in Naples) and the the two cliff hangers in tampa at the FSF were removed and replaced by Crystal Lils and another Tornado (Wisdom) ...and also almost ever WQ i went in this week i saw a cliff hanger being worked on....

complete trip report and about a million pics when i get back in new york
JustinJames
Sunday, February 8, 2004 3:21:07 PM
RideMan
Sunday, February 8, 2004 9:51:34 PM
Hardly a surprise.

Florida wants a redesign on the Orbiter (where did I read that...?) to put a full shroud around the electrical commutator rings because they think that's what sparked the fire after the hose blew. Certainly possible; you can get a spark off those things, and that's enough to touch off a fire in an explosive environment (such as 'full of hydraulic fluid mist').

As for the Cliff Hangers, the flaw on those things is a little bit complicated to identify and fix, and from what I heard it sounds like every machine out there MIGHT need work, plus some of the older ones have to be retrofitted with the safety cables. In any case, it looks like the fix isn't terribly complicated, but could be time consuming. (The bulletin for this one has been posted both on the manufacturer's website and on NAARSO's web site)

In both cases, we're looking at pretty straightforward fixes, and outside of Florida I haven't heard of any Orbiter shutdowns yet (but what do I know? Please don't take my word for it!). Both are great rides, and by Spring I expect both to be operating all over the place again.

Now if the Orbiter is such a great ride, how come we never get one on the Ohio State Fair midway?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Skywheelrider
Monday, February 9, 2004 7:02:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RideMan

Now if the Orbiter is such a great ride, how come we never get one on the Ohio State Fair midway?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Well, for starters, Amusements of America does not own one. And the only other shows I know of that play Ohio that do own one are Poor Jack Amusements, Triple Treat Shows, and Kissel (not sure which one?). Maybe A of A could book one of them? Just a thought....[^]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
orphaned
Monday, February 9, 2004 8:23:32 AM
Kissel Rides and Shows doesn't own an Orbiter...maybe Kissel Brothers?
Skywheelrider
Monday, February 9, 2004 9:07:28 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

Kissel Rides and Shows doesn't own an Orbiter...maybe Kissel Brothers?

Must be then, I have seen photos of their show with one themed "Predator," unless they have since sold it or traded it, etc. OhioRon took the photos, he would know for sure. [:)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 9, 2004 9:39:32 AM
Kissel Bros. Shows got rid of their Orbiter several years ago, not sure how long it's been. It was themed Predator.
Skywheelrider
Monday, February 9, 2004 9:46:52 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ohio Ron

Kissel Bros. Shows got rid of their Orbiter several years ago, not sure how long it's been. It was themed Predator.

Thanks Ron, that answers that question! lol (Knew you would come through. [;)]) [:)]
orphaned
Monday, February 9, 2004 9:54:05 AM
Who did Jay Clements buy his from?
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 9, 2004 9:59:41 AM
The one that Jay got last year used to belong to Pugh. It's themed Typhoon.
orphaned
Monday, February 9, 2004 10:05:10 AM
Does he have a different one now? Also, where/when does he open? When will he be in/around Cincinatti?
JOHN C
Monday, February 9, 2004 5:40:47 PM
isnt drew's theemed "typhoon" as well?

once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
SaraAB
Monday, February 9, 2004 8:25:17 PM
So whats up with conklin's orbiter? Is it salvageable, or will we never see it in action again, if its not ever coming back, what do you think they will replace it with?

The reason i ask is because there is a show here where they always bring the orbiter and i was wondering if i would ever be able to ride it again?
JOHN C
Monday, February 9, 2004 10:11:40 PM
if i'm not mistaken the orbitor belonged to billy lauther he also has the snowball express among others that travels with conklin....
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
TopSpinJay
Monday, February 9, 2004 11:19:41 PM
the ride im told was totaled so it wont be back no
You'll miss us when were gone....