Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, February 2, 2004 1:53:58 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld...reaking_news/7852073.htm 

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

orphaned
Monday, February 2, 2004 2:24:10 AM
WOW..talk about a freaky thing...when's the last time anyone heard of a ride catching fire?
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, February 2, 2004 2:29:05 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

WOW..talk about a freaky thing...when's the last time anyone heard of a ride catching fire?

There was a Trabant that had the same type thing, a hydraulic fire, inside the Superdome about 12 years ago.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

safefun4u
Monday, February 2, 2004 9:30:58 AM
And there was Trabant that caught fire in Winchester, VA several years ago. I've seen those hoses burst before and it is no pretty site. I never did and still don't like the way they are exposed.
Drayven
Monday, February 2, 2004 10:08:17 AM
Yeah this is my favorite part:

引用:

quote:

Last year, five people were slightly injured when a startled cow jumped a fence.

[?] okay!
Peace + Love = Information
orphaned
Monday, February 2, 2004 10:22:11 AM
That last line just shows you an out of control journalist trying to sensationalize things. The carnival isnt even related to the cow....unless there is some new back end show out there with MAD, DANCING COWS!
JOHN C
Monday, February 2, 2004 10:37:04 AM
maybe thats a new idea for all the back end shows......maybe its all about the mad cow disease???? "come see the first ever cow with mad cow disease in the us"!!!!!! can hear ward hall now
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 2, 2004 1:48:31 PM
That reminds me, anyone know of an orbitor for sale? (other than the usual Ital/UsedRides suspects)

UserPostedImage

with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 2, 2004 2:10:01 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by bairbros

That reminds me, anyone know of an orbitor for sale? (other than the usual Ital/UsedRides suspects)

Ask Jay C. DO you need one for unit #2?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 2, 2004 3:04:30 PM
A Chance Toboggan tube caught fire in Pennsylvania in the 70's. Yes, I said TUBE. Grease inside the vertical tube caught fire. I have seen pictures of the scene but since it was so long ago there probably isn't a link on the web.
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 2, 2004 3:10:02 PM
howdy...
i was there and the sad thing about it all, the guys working the ride didn't get medical treatment untill all the locals were gone to the hospital, and they were hurt trying to help the customers!! yes. my space button isnt working... lol

[edited 11.11pm (CST/GMT-0600) by secret.squirrel]
Helped your spaces for you rhino [;)]
[/edited 11.11pm (CST/GMT-0600) by secret.squirrel]
gruelurks
Monday, February 2, 2004 3:34:07 PM
Rhino: Run your keyboard thru the dishwasher one time, and invest in a can of air! 🙂
JustinJames
Monday, February 2, 2004 3:58:04 PM
The chaser on my Gravitron inside caught fire once. I simply blacked out the ride and extinushed it. They just thought I was giving a light show. LOL
safefun4u
Tuesday, February 3, 2004 1:43:43 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost...4f1a123408210a200f0.html 

Leaky hydraulic line likely culprit in fair ride fire

By Andrew Marra, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 3, 2004

The Orbiter ride that erupted in flames at the South Florida Fair Sunday passed a state inspection less than three weeks ago, a state official said.

But the possibility that a leaking hydraulic oil line prompted the blaze had inspectors across the state reexamining a handful of similar rides for defects.

County firefighters used 1,000 gallons of water and five gallons of foam to extinguish the blaze, which occurred about 12:30 a.m. Sunday. Officials said leaking oil caught fire on heated parts of the ride.

Although the ride itself was badly scorched, there were no serious injuries.

A 28-year-old woman was treated at Palms West Hospital after getting oil in her eye, and a 9-year-old boy was taken there after banging his forehead, according to Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue.

Others sustained scrapes and bruises but were treated at the fair.

If a leaking line was to blame, it would be a relatively rare phenomenon, sometimes preventable, sometimes not, said Mike Rinehart, head of the state's inspection bureau in Tallahassee.

"That is unusual," he said. "This is the first time in six years I've heard of this happening."

The Orbiter is a 50-by-50-foot ride with six arms that spin on a central point. At the end of each arm is three cars that also spin. There were about 20 to 25 people riding the Orbiter when the fire occurred, according to one witness. There are about four Orbiter rides in use in the state, Rinehart said.

As the ride traveled the state over the past seven years, inspectors asked the ride's owner to correct various wear-and-tear problems -- from cracked lap bars to missing bolts -- but nothing to suggest a fire hazard, according to an inspection record.

The ride is owned by Lauther Amusements, a subcontractor for Conklin Shows, which runs the fair's midway.

Howard Pringle, Conklin's director of operations, said the operators had been performing daily inspections as the state requires.

Rinehart said even that might not have been enough to spot a problem with an oil line.

"Usually, you can tell when they're worn or they need to be replaced," Rinehart said. "But then they may just go."

It was the fair's second amusement accident this year. A 37-year-old Lantana man broke his arm and wrist on the Doppel Looping roller coaster Jan. 17. A state inspector found nothing wrong with the ride.
Fetch
Tuesday, February 3, 2004 12:56:47 PM
I tell you there is a perfect song that pretty well describes the media industry perfectly. I should know. Find a copy of the song "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henely and listen to the lyrics. I believe it was written after he was busted for something minor and the media industry blew it way out of portion.