Thunderbolt2
Friday, March 15, 2024 11:25:33 AM
Really kinda missing this show, I always saw them booked in with Conklin at the South Carolina state fair. Does anyone have some history or stories about the show? I know they had the first Chance Giant Wheel, and I believe (but not positive) they brought the first KMG Fireball to the United States. Liked the colors they used as well, always nice looking show.
ridejocky
Sunday, March 17, 2024 8:45:29 PM
I never worked on CVS/Floyd & Baxter, but I did move the bobs Strates bought from them in '78 which I think the first year they got it. The van still had CVS colors. Did the show change it's name at some point or was it always CVS?

The ride came with a foreman/mic-man named Bobby Watson. He was a great guy, but he lost his eye in Baltimore tearing down and I ended up foreman after that.

The transition of Strates from '78 to '88 was amazing. In '78, Strates' biggest rides were the bobs and the Skywheel, and he had just got the bobs. By the mid '80s he had bought the Enterprise, Tri-Star, Pirate, Monster, Himalaya, a new bobs and the German Fun House.

Ride the Zipper?
Thunderbolt2
Monday, March 18, 2024 8:54:21 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I never worked on CVS/Floyd & Baxter, but I did move the bobs Strates bought from them in '78 which I think the first year they got it. The van still had CVS colors. Did the show change it's name at some point or was it always CVS?

The ride came with a foreman/mic-man named Bobby Watson. He was a great guy, but he lost his eye in Baltimore tearing down and I ended up foreman after that.

The transition of Strates from '78 to '88 was amazing. In '78, Strates' biggest rides were the bobs and the Skywheel, and he had just got the bobs. By the mid '80s he had bought the Enterprise, Tri-Star, Pirate, Monster, Himalaya, a new bobs and the German Fun House.

I believe they stayed as CVS until the merger with NAME. Rode that Bobs on Strates many times, was very well taken care of and hated to see it go, I think Deggeller bought it. Strates is still a great show, but during the 80s and early 90s they were a powerhouse and always loved to visit their midway. Seems things changed after what happened in Broward, a few years later they lost Central Florida Fair and Delaware state fair, but he still kept growing bigger. Hated it when he sold TriStar but then the Top Spin came later, and really hated it when Sky Wheel and Diver was dropped.

Have pictures from Anderson in late 80s when he first brought the Giant Wheel to Anderson, still had the Sky Wheel, Diver, and so many others. The Ghost Train is in the pictures and the Bobs, all of them just about, even the Monster I think cause the incident didn't happen till the end of 88 season and have shots of YoYo and Tip Top which were dropped after 88.

I have seen pictures of them, but really wish I could have seen his Rock O Plane and Loop O Plane. Did he ever own a Paratrooper or just book them? Seen pictures of his midway with Trooper in a few of them.
ridejocky
Monday, March 18, 2024 9:49:58 PM
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 

I believe they stayed as CVS until the merger with NAME. Rode that Bobs on Strates many times, was very well taken care of and hated to see it go, I think Deggeller bought it. Strates is still a great show, but during the 80s and early 90s they were a powerhouse and always loved to visit their midway. Seems things changed after what happened in Broward, a few years later they lost Central Florida Fair and Delaware state fair, but he still kept growing bigger. Hated it when he sold TriStar but then the Top Spin came later, and really hated it when Sky Wheel and Diver was dropped.

Have pictures from Anderson in late 80s when he first brought the Giant Wheel to Anderson, still had the Sky Wheel, Diver, and so many others. The Ghost Train is in the pictures and the Bobs, all of them just about, even the Monster I think cause the incident didn't happen till the end of 88 season and have shots of YoYo and Tip Top which were dropped after 88.

I have seen pictures of them, but really wish I could have seen his Rock O Plane and Loop O Plane. Did he ever own a Paratrooper or just book them? Seen pictures of his midway with Trooper in a few of them.

I meant was the name "Floyd and Baxter" first, and then changed to CVS, or was it two separate companies or what. I only ever knew them as F & B when I was on the road.

The bobs Strates got from F & B was replaced with a new one in '79 or '80. Are you that old? Not sure where it went, it was pretty thrashed, and it had the old-style variable speed drive, not the two-speed drive like on the newer models.

Yeah, Broward was a shame, and the papers made it look like Strates' equipment was poorly maintained. Despicable.

The Skywheel was something of a PITA to move and maintain, so dropping it might be understandable, but the diver, while it is on two trailers, is pretty easy to up and down and maintain.

Anderson '88 was the last spot I played, and I only made it halfway through before I had my accident, so we might have seen each other. I think that was the first year the wheel was there.

I remember the Loop-O-Plane & the Rok-O-Plane for sure, but I'm not sure about the Paratrooper. I think maybe a year or two. I remember playing some spots with the Flying Coaster too. Not sure when he dropped it. When did he drop the Rok & Roll?

I think Bill P is the expert on this stuff, maybe he'll weigh in.

Ride the Zipper?
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, March 19, 2024 8:48:54 AM
F & B Bobs was the first Chance model, delivered in spring '73. They bought Cumberland Valley Shows in spring of '75, taking full ownership in fall.
ridejocky
Tuesday, March 19, 2024 9:13:42 AM
Originally Posted by: RRSHOW1 

F & B Bobs was the first Chance model, delivered in spring '73. They bought Cumberland Valley Shows in spring of '75, taking full ownership in fall.

Wow, I did not know that. So, I moved the first one ever, when it was fifteen years old....
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 19, 2024 7:21:46 PM
Tried to post a reply 2 days ago and it didn't show up.
Strates had an upright Trooper from 1960-1968 and then a rim drive from 69-early 80's. new Bobs showed up in NY in 1979.
They got a loop-o-plane & Rock-o-plane in 1974.
Floyd & Baxter had a Himalaya and big scooter plus a couple other pieces with Strates from 1973-1976.
In 1974 I saw F&B Himalayas with Strates in Hamburg & Syracuse and also in Toronto with Conklin at CNE & Ohio State fair with Gooding.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 20, 2024 10:53:35 AM
Early Paratrooper on Strates was owned by Paul Theodropolis (Strates' Cousin) Carl Gardner was the foreman.
Floyd & Baxter had 4 Himalaya's out at one time, plus a number of Skooters.
Billy Baxter had a deal with Harold Chance to buy the first model of their rides.
They owned the first Chance Bobs and Yo-Yo.
They were mainly independent operators until CVS.
One of the original ideas for CVS was to put it on 30 flats, as JD & Jimmy loved the railroad. JD had an extensive model railroad in his basement.
The Wynne's were part of the family & owned one of (if not the first) Skydivers, which was on Royal American.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 20, 2024 3:37:20 PM
If I remember correctly Strates ended up with that 1st Yoyo which they had until 1988 when they replaced it with the Wave Swinger for 89. That Yoyo might have gone to Belle City from there. It was unique because it had different fluorescent light fixtures on the tower

Here's a couple more tidbits. At Chemung County in Elmira in 1979 on the second night the new Reverchon Himalaya was going up. Was it delivered there? The new Bobs was up and running but when I walked across the parking lot another Bobs tub load passed me in the lot. Figrued it was a late arrival but then when I got on the lot I saw the new Bobs running.
ridejocky
Wednesday, March 20, 2024 7:45:22 PM
Originally Posted by: RRSHOW1 

Early Paratrooper on Strates was owned by Paul Theodropolis (Strates' Cousin) Carl Gardner was the foreman.
Floyd & Baxter had 4 Himalaya's out at one time, plus a number of Skooters.
Billy Baxter had a deal with Harold Chance to buy the first model of their rides.
They owned the first Chance Bobs and Yo-Yo.
They were mainly independent operators until CVS.
One of the original ideas for CVS was to put it on 30 flats, as JD & Jimmy loved the railroad. JD had an extensive model railroad in his basement.
The Wynne's were part of the family & owned one of (if not the first) Skydivers, which was on Royal American.

I move that Yo-Yo a few times, never knew it was the first one.

Any idea what happened to Paul after Olympic Expositions?

Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Wednesday, March 20, 2024 7:49:33 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

If I remember correctly Strates ended up with that 1st Yoyo which they had until 1988 when they replaced it with the Wave Swinger for 89. That Yoyo might have gone to Belle City from there. It was unique because it had different fluorescent light fixtures on the tower

Here's a couple more tidbits. At Chemung County in Elmira in 1979 on the second night the new Reverchon Himalaya was going up. Was it delivered there? The new Bobs was up and running but when I walked across the parking lot another Bobs tub load passed me in the lot. Figrued it was a late arrival but then when I got on the lot I saw the new Bobs running.

I had quit for a few spots and when I got back he had the new Bobs...

I do not remember the first spot for the new Himalaya, but I know Darrel had a tough time with it the first year.

Ride the Zipper?
Thunderbolt2
Monday, March 25, 2024 3:15:52 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I meant was the name "Floyd and Baxter" first, and then changed to CVS, or was it two separate companies or what. I only ever knew them as F & B when I was on the road.

The bobs Strates got from F & B was replaced with a new one in '79 or '80. Are you that old? Not sure where it went, it was pretty thrashed, and it had the old-style variable speed drive, not the two-speed drive like on the newer models.

Yeah, Broward was a shame, and the papers made it look like Strates' equipment was poorly maintained. Despicable.

The Skywheel was something of a PITA to move and maintain, so dropping it might be understandable, but the diver, while it is on two trailers, is pretty easy to up and down and maintain.

Anderson '88 was the last spot I played, and I only made it halfway through before I had my accident, so we might have seen each other. I think that was the first year the wheel was there.

I remember the Loop-O-Plane & the Rok-O-Plane for sure, but I'm not sure about the Paratrooper. I think maybe a year or two. I remember playing some spots with the Flying Coaster too. Not sure when he dropped it. When did he drop the Rok & Roll?

I think Bill P is the expert on this stuff, maybe he'll weigh in.

Yes, sadly I am that old LOL, but I didn't see Strates for the first time until 85. We may have passed each other on the midway in Anderson in 88. Yes that first year they put the Giant Wheel on the inside loop but in front, just about in front of the Ghost Train's usual spot, didn't seem like a good position but the next year they had it on the backside. Remember that year i went on last night of fair as well and most of the wheel was already down, only thing left was base and towers.
ridejocky
Monday, March 25, 2024 9:27:16 PM
Anyone remember what spot Truex dropped Strates' giant wheel setting up? I was thinking it was Anderson '88
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 26, 2024 7:40:29 PM
Giant wheel had a set up "incident" in Syracuse in 1987 and did not operate there that year. Don't have specific details on that one. Another time it was moved after partial set up since it was too close to the Top Spin.
ridejocky
Tuesday, March 26, 2024 10:25:52 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Giant wheel had a set up "incident" in Syracuse in 1987 and did not operate there that year. Don't have specific details on that one. Another time it was moved after partial set up since it was too close to the Top Spin.

Syracuse '87 makes sense, so Strates must have gotten the wheel in '86, was it Syracuse as well? I think so.

The frame goes up with a winch at the opposite end of the base from the axle when it's laid down. The winch pulls up a gin-pole that pulls up the axle. When it gets close to the top, you have to stop, and jack the unfolding towers up straight to pin them. It is not possible to pull hard enough to get the towers straight. The "incident" occurred when he tried to raise it too high with the winch and it collapsed. I believe it was the gin-pole that actually failed, and then the whole thing collapsed.

Ride the Zipper?