Thunderbolt2
Saturday, July 3, 2021 12:05:10 PM
Saw a news article on the York fair that the train would not come this year due to late in confirming railroad contracts due to Covid-19. Was just wondering are they leaving the train at home all year this year and prepare to bring back out next year when things are more settled, or is the train on the move and just not showing up to York this year?

Just wondering if anyone knows, I don't believe (NOR HAVE I HEARD) that they are dropping the train, just figured that it was off year and they like everyone else is trying to get back on their feet.
ridejocky
Saturday, July 3, 2021 10:01:52 PM
I don't know, but I think they've been leaving the coaches it WQ for a few years. The train makes less sense without the coaches than with.

That said, given the rise in the cost of fuel with no end in sight, it might be a good time to double-down on it.

I worked for Strates from '78 to '88 and the coaches were so poorly managed even then it was ridiculous. What should have been a really great asset was ignored, and the help blamed for the deterioration. It was a shame.

Went and saw the show a few years ago and I was shocked at how crappy most of the stuff looked.
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, July 3, 2021 10:13:18 PM
Strates train has not gone out at all this year. Hopefully it'll return next year.
itsapartytx
Sunday, July 4, 2021 8:08:47 PM
Strates is trucking everything this year. The train is not coming out in 2021.
Thunderbolt2
Monday, July 5, 2021 3:45:24 PM
Thanks for the updates, when I didn't see anything on FB about it thought that might be the case. Will look for it next year when things get better settled.
Thunderbolt2
Monday, July 5, 2021 3:46:25 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Strates train has not gone out at all this year. Hopefully it'll return next year.

I am no Jedi master but I feel like it will with those big rides he has and now York on the schedule.
itsapartytx
Tuesday, July 6, 2021 10:05:59 AM
What do they have that other shows aren't transporting by truck?

The Top Spin hasn't been out in years.

Other shows are transporting a Wave Swinger, Zyklon, Enterprise and Pirate via truck.

Just asking..?
ridejocky
Wednesday, July 7, 2021 12:07:11 AM
Originally Posted by: itsapartytx 

What do they have that other shows aren't transporting by truck?

The Top Spin hasn't been out in years.

Other shows are transporting a Wave Swinger, Zyklon, Enterprise and Pirate via truck.

Just asking..?

I doubt the have anything that can't move by truck, BUT many of the old trailers and wagons are likely not legal and would have to be replaced or upgraded.

Ride the Zipper?
Thunderbolt2
Wednesday, July 7, 2021 7:26:20 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I doubt the have anything that can't move by truck, BUT many of the old trailers and wagons are likely not legal and would have to be replaced or upgraded.

That's a big point, all those older train loads would need upgrading and taxes/etc. Second the train is still a selling point for fairs and the public, just like some rides are a "draw", so is the train. Although the Top Spin has not been out, doesn't mean it will not come out again. They brought the Pirate back out, and again with York now on there, if that works out well and things keep improving they MIGHT bring it back out again one day.........who knows, it sure hasn't sold.

But still again, it does help moving all those loads north in the spring, and then around areas during fair season, not as many CDL drivers, tags, insurance, and such having that train, I can understand dropping the coaches, but think about all the loads that do go on it (power plants with older trailers, ticket boxes, junction box loads, cranes, forklifts, not to mention all the older rides with older trailers).

But just my thoughts. If it doesn't come back, it will be a sad day for the amusement business and the end of an era because with RBB&B gone, they are the last.
JimW
  •  JimW
  • 51.62% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler
Wednesday, July 7, 2021 7:55:17 AM
Kinda of a shame about the train not out this year. I have hotel reservations for York, I will be out there for two days visiting. I don't know if I will be able to tell how he is moving those older train wagons or not, maybe he is using a lot of booked in equipment. That seems to be more common, even before the panic-demic. Just look at Tally and the Ohio State Fair in 2019, half the rides there belonged to Kissel.
itsapartytx
Thursday, July 8, 2021 8:48:10 AM
I don't believe they are booking in rides.