thunderbolt85
Monday, May 4, 2020 3:18:08 PM
Hey Everyone, we haven't done this in a while and its of course just for fun, but thought if you wanted to layout your perfect show (if you had the money and wanted to own one). Now one thing special I would like you to think about is labor since we have had some recent conversations about the topic and of course this is considering the Covid 19 gone and business as usual.

For me, if I had the money (and some experienced folks working w/me) here is mine:

16 Nittany Wheel
Rock O Plane
Flying Coaster
Roll O Plane
Loop O Plane
Scrambler
Tilt (or Chance Twister)
Paratrooper
Round UP
Watkins Swinger
Cobra
Tempest
Scat
Lampkin ground mtn scooter (w/banjo lights)
Spider
Tip Top

Kiddies
3' MGR
3 Umbrellas (boats, motorcycle, combo)
AH F-80/Helicopters/Beez
Slide
Bulgy the Whale
Jolly Caterpiller
Wet Boat
Turn Tike
Auto Bahn
Go Gator
Castle Mania
K. Himi
Wisdom Clown Around
Kiddie swings/F. Wheel
Pony Carts
Tubs
Train

Backend: Ghost Train, Witches Castle, Thriller, Alpine Slide, 2 story Hollingsworth, and glass house.

Shows: Motordrome, 10in1, a couple of single O's, arcade, and at least one free act.

4 plants with railroad light towers, 10 zip up light towers, one WW2 searchlight (if able to find one), art deco front gate, benches, trash cans and most important climate controlled very clean restrooms to "up" the customer experience.

Would have most of those kiddies rides ground mtn to rack as many in one load. All rolling stock painted up with traditional carnival colors but all would be in great DOT shape so no problems on road.

Competitive wage for employees with 401k, medical and year end bonus. Nice bunk houses (not junk) and would reach out to HS/College students (over 18) for summer travel with some type of program in conjunction with schools for on job training or life skills that can be used later. Would be clear about the hard work and hours, but find a way to make it rewarding not just with money, but other perks.

Additional: would stay regional (south), playing short jumps and trying to take the fun summer carnival back to the small town. Would like to have a fair route of about 8-9 fairs and if I had the money help the small town fair grow, or even some that have gone down (or even closed) rebuild based on the town's growth rate and current situation.

If the fair route and maybe a few summer spots permitted, have a Sky Wheel, Diver, and at least one music ride to use.

Of course all this is wishful thinking and does not take in account insurance, taxes, transportation costs and such.

But what have you?
ridejocky
Monday, May 4, 2020 4:07:15 PM
Suitcase...
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, May 5, 2020 12:35:24 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Suitcase...




LOL, but you can't always get the rides you want if you a person who really loves the machines like I do.
ridejocky
Tuesday, May 5, 2020 7:35:59 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

LOL, but you can't always get the rides you want if you a person who really loves the machines like I do.


b

Well then add a Fly-O-Plane and a 16-tub puss

Ride the Zipper?
JustinJames
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 12:16:38 AM
Independent ride. That's about it.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 12:21:41 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

b

Well then add a Fly-O-Plane and a 16-tub puss




Like the Fly O Plane, but I was always more partial to the spider than the puss, although the 16 seat puss was sharp, I think AofA had one and saw it once.
ridejocky
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:54:41 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Like the Fly O Plane, but I was always more partial to the spider than the puss, although the 16 seat puss was sharp, I think AofA had one and saw it once.



The Spider looks better, but I believe the 'puss is faster which makes for a better ride, has 16 which makes for better capacity and is easier to move.

Atlas had a Fly-O-Plane at Cal Expo in '77, pretty badass.


Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 3:52:16 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

The Spider looks better, but I believe the 'puss is faster which makes for a better ride, has 16 which makes for better capacity and is easier to move.

Atlas had a Fly-O-Plane at Cal Expo in '77, pretty badass.




your right on the speed, I had been on spider's and a couple of Monster's and then I got on a single tub puss and buddy I couldn't believe how much faster that one was and the stomach loss, a lot different.

I am trying to get out to Lake Winnie one day, guess that is the only place I will see a Fly O Plane now, don't remember one in my early years, although I may have walked by one like when 6 or 8 and didn't know what it was, just can't remember.
indianacarnie
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 4:13:31 PM
As a lifelong jointee my knowledge of rides and their needs is very limited. Have worked rides a few times.... hell if you've been in the business as long as I have you'll most likely have done it all too, just like I have. But ..... here goes

Skywheel - still my all time favorite ride and I don't ride rides lol
Skydiver - just because I think its "makes" a midway
Space Roller - the ride I've worked on more than any other by far.. and can you think of a better "anchor" for the backend? Beautiful machine
Zyklon - gotta have a coaster
Force 10 - because why not?
Round Up - midway mainstay
Scrambler - midway mainstay
Bumper Cars - midway mainstay
Eli Wheel #5 - just guessing on the number. Medium size. And cable driven
Zipper - midway mainstay from my youth in the business, besides the teens love it
Rock N Roll - the hamster wheel one
Salt N Pepper (Loop O Plane?) - midway mainstay
Jinny - the oldest you could find preferably with wooden horses

Kings Circus - yeah, I worked on this one too for a very short while
Dark Ride
Glass House

Kiddie Train
Kiddie Wheel
Assorted Hamptons

Hell, throw in a 10 in 1 while you're at it






An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:20:26 PM
Originally Posted by: indianacarnie 

As a lifelong jointee my knowledge of rides and their needs is very limited. Have worked rides a few times.... hell if you've been in the business as long as I have you'll most likely have done it all too, just like I have. But ..... here goes

Skywheel - still my all time favorite ride and I don't ride rides lol
Skydiver - just because I think its "makes" a midway
Space Roller - the ride I've worked on more than any other by far.. and can you think of a better "anchor" for the backend? Beautiful machine
Zyklon - gotta have a coaster
Force 10 - because why not?
Round Up - midway mainstay
Scrambler - midway mainstay
Bumper Cars - midway mainstay
Eli Wheel #5 - just guessing on the number. Medium size. And cable driven
Zipper - midway mainstay from my youth in the business, besides the teens love it
Rock N Roll - the hamster wheel one
Salt N Pepper (Loop O Plane?) - midway mainstay
Jinny - the oldest you could find preferably with wooden horses

Kings Circus - yeah, I worked on this one too for a very short while
Dark Ride
Glass House

Kiddie Train
Kiddie Wheel
Assorted Hamptons

Hell, throw in a 10 in 1 while you're at it


Great line up!




IndianaTED
Thursday, May 7, 2020 2:35:32 PM
Tilt-A-Whirl
Scrambler
Spider
Big Eli 12 seat Ferris Wheel
Swinger
Scooter
Rock-O-Plane
Loop-O-Plane
Round Up
Frolic
Paratrooper

Chance MGR with 70s scenery
AH Helicopters (my favorite as a kid)
and about 6 more typical kiddie rides.

This would be a 40-miler type of Show. Outside of Memorial Day to the first of August, would be Friday thru Sunday events only.

All of these majors are rides I have seen racked on pup trailers.

In my dream, I would also like to have a Reverchon Himalaya, that I could book in independently.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, May 7, 2020 2:49:04 PM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

Tilt-A-Whirl
Scrambler
Spider
Big Eli 12 seat Ferris Wheel
Swinger
Scooter
Rock-O-Plane
Loop-O-Plane
Round Up
Frolic
Paratrooper

Chance MGR with 70s scenery
AH Helicopters (my favorite as a kid)
and about 6 more typical kiddie rides.

This would be a 40-miler type of Show. Outside of Memorial Day to the first of August, would be Friday thru Sunday events only.

All of these majors are rides I have seen racked on pup trailers.

In my dream, I would also like to have a Reverchon Himalaya, that I could book in independently.




That's a nice show, in a perfect world we could meet up and book together for bigger spots in the Midwest. Change things up, use different rides and such.
ridejocky
Thursday, May 7, 2020 3:52:26 PM
Midge-O-Racer with WORKING steering!
Ride the Zipper?
Users browsing this topic
  • OceanSpiders 2.0