Mst458
  •  Mst458
  • 54.98% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, January 10, 2004 1:58:39 PM
Anybody going to the New York State Fair Convention (January 16 - 19) in Rochester, NY?
snowman
Sunday, January 11, 2004 6:57:46 AM
yes I am. My brother Alan Wheelock of "Wheelock Rides and Concessions" is going to be the next president of the New York State Showpeoples Association. I will be attending his banquet.and visiting old freinds
BSA Mike
Sunday, January 11, 2004 9:01:51 AM
We are unfortunatley not going to be there this year
Mst458
  •  Mst458
  • 54.98% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, January 11, 2004 11:18:22 AM
Wheelock Rides is a very nice looking carnival. I saw you last summer down in Owego, NY at the Tioga County Fair. The show was very clean and the rides are well kept up.

My favorite piece was the Scooby Doo Fun House.
orphaned
Monday, January 12, 2004 2:59:33 AM
So how bout Chemung County? When is the announcement coming?
Mst458
  •  Mst458
  • 54.98% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 12, 2004 6:46:48 AM
I believe that a carnival has already been selected for our 2004 Chemung County Fair. The official announcement probably won't come out until sometime next week after the NYS Fair convention.

I believe that the carnival selected is the same one that was mentioned on a very recent post. I believe this information and source to be reliable, however it still hasn't been officially announced, so I know people on this board don't like other people to make speculations.

But, from what I'm hearing and what that poster said, I think I know who it will be.

Skywheelrider
Monday, January 12, 2004 7:10:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mst458

I believe that a carnival has already been selected for our 2004 Chemung County Fair. The official announcement probably won't come out until sometime next week after the NYS Fair convention.

I believe that the carnival selected is the same one that was mentioned on a very recent post. I believe this information and source to be reliable, however it still hasn't been officially announced, so I know people on this board don't like other people to make speculations.

But, from what I'm hearing and what that poster said, I think I know who it will be.

So that means it is Strates Shows then....[^]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Mst458
  •  Mst458
  • 54.98% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 12, 2004 7:14:36 AM
That's who I would say at this moment. Time will tell for sure though.
orphaned
Monday, January 12, 2004 7:38:14 AM
Well great. They've found a replacement spot for Raleigh. Lose a top 50 fair..and pick up a top 5000 fair.
Skywheelrider
Monday, January 12, 2004 7:42:22 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

Well great. They've found a replacement spot for Raleigh. Lose a top 50 fair..and pick up a top 5000 fair.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!* [:D]

(*with apologies to Larry The Cable Guy[;)])

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Mst458
  •  Mst458
  • 54.98% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 12, 2004 8:17:30 AM
Chemung County Fair is a good place for them to play on their way to Hamburg, New York.

It's not a perfect spot, but the Fair can attract 100,000 plus people.

The Strates Shows played this Fair for 40 years and it's also his hometown.

With the right carnival, etc, this Fair has the potential to once again grow.

If your carnival won't grow, then neither will your Fair and that's the trouble we had for the past 12 years.

I can also say that the Chemung County Fair is alot better then quite a few other Fairs that I've seen lately. Our Fair makes those Fairs look sick.

But, your right, Chemung is no Hamburg, Syracuse, or Raleigh, but it's a place where they can make some money.

orphaned
Monday, January 12, 2004 8:14:19 PM
I take exception to one comment...."If your carnival won't grow, your fair won't grow". I disagree with that, and I think most other people here will as well. Honestly, if your fair won't grow, then your carnival won't grow. 9 times out of 10 that's the problem...I'm not saying your's isn't the other way Myst...but 90% of the time it's the fair that wont spend money trying new things or making capital improvements and then they * and whine that the carnival isn't doing their job...when in all reality if the fair would just take a closer look at how it does things it would see it's all its own fault.

No show is going to bring in more and newer rides to a fair that doesn't call for it. I've never been to your fair...and I know that we've all had this discussion with you before...but I'd be willing to bet that at least part of the problem is with the fair....if not most of it.
Mst458
  •  Mst458
  • 54.98% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 12, 2004 8:43:21 PM
Our problem is with our carnival:

1) All of the rides that the carnival owns are set up at our Fair. This includes games also. It's not that our Fair doesn't call for more rides/games, it's because that's all the carnival owns.

2) Our carnival is not willing to try new promotions with us. We wanted to try a new promotion last summer and our carnival flat out refused to even work with us.

3) We provide at least 4 free shows per year and we have top of the line grandstand shows. We have Demolition Derbies, Tractor Pulls, and every year we always have a top name country performer.

Last year we had Mark Chesnutt, Joe diffie, and Tracie Lawrence.

When your carnival provider leaves half your grounds empty because they don't own enough equipment to fill it and when many of the rides that they do set up are unusable the entire week then how can a Fair attract people???

When they were awarded the contract back 12 years ago, they had alot more rides and games then they have today. Every year they lose more and more rides for reasons unknown.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 13, 2004 1:53:53 AM
mst
1.No reply

2.How do you know, you told us you are not on the fairboard? You get your info from
a second party.

Quote:

quote:

Last year we had Mark Chesnutt, Joe diffie, and Tracie Lawrence.

Who?

I see you more as an enthusiast (of whatever age) who wants to enjoy the riding experience of Strates offerings but not as a businessman who understands profit and loss.
UserPostedImage
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:11:08 AM
what promotions did you try with the carnival. if fairs are not willing to do some promotions on their gate they should not ask the carnival to lower their ride prices. we have two days where we have a free gate, $5.00 savings, and the ride company lowers their prices with a coupon that is distributed in the schools. a lot of fairs want the ride company to do a ride promotion but they need to do a gate promotion first. get the people on the grounds so thsy will spend money. it makes for better ride company and concessionaires relationships. just having major concerts doesn't always do it as normally there is an additional charge for those. the patrons only come for the entertainment. give the fair patrons something for their gate money other than the opportunity to spend money on rides and concessions. we have three free stages, circus acts, roving entertainment and grandstand events all included in the $5.00 gate addmisson.