thunderbolt85
Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:59:45 AM
During the last years of Pugh Shows, they had a dark ride called Cape Fear, it was a nice looking piece, played the Upper SC State Fair the last year Pugh was in business, and sat there for months after the fair was over, still set up.

Anyone know what happened to that dark ride? I remember when Pugh merged/bought Crown, Crown had the contract here and I thought we were going to get to see a lot of Pugh's equipment, but didn't happen.

A few rides from Pugh made it down here with the Crown unit, like their Cobra, and Music Express, but it was mostly the Crown rides until they folded and J&J got the contract.

Crown was a nice show too, when they got the contract here from Deggeller they brought in a bunch of stuff. They had a soli Himalaya, Chance Wheel, Sky Wheel, Rock O Plane, and plenty of majors and specs.

That first year Crown came in, they booked a fellow with a Bumper Cars, Gravitron, and some kiddies. Well when he got here, they told him he could only set up the Bumper Cars, he wasn't too happy after he brought all that other equipment.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:48:46 AM
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, December 14, 2019 4:04:52 PM
If not for the fact it still has the sea monsters and the "Cape Fear" sign on the front, you'd probably hardly recognize the Cape Fear today.

The ride has undergone some changes.

The November, 2019 issue of Kirmes and Park Revue had an article about the Cape Fear dark ride.

According to the article, the ride is now owned by Paul Odermatt of Switzerland, who purchased it in 2015.

The article states, it was "built for an American customer in 1997".

"up until 2004, the 24m long, 9m deep construction toured events throughout the USA before it returned to Europe, where it found a new home in the Netherlands and was toured under the management of the Dutch showman operation Rooze for a short time".

In 2008, it was sold again to the gebruder Boos and Hartmann, "who presented it in Germany only every now and then". It also made an appearance at several events in Poland. The article stated, "at that time the construction still featured its original design"..."replete with sea monsters, a lighthouse and some other rather mysterious creatures. The front of the Cape Fear was predominately blue".

In 2015 it was sold to showman Paul Odermatt of Switzerland.

Cape Fear was refurbished and went back into operation in the spring of 2017. It received a "facelift" with digitally printed scenery. The electrical system was completely overhauled and the lighting was changed to LED's. "New ghosts and new effects" were added. The ride's 8 cars were restored and are now enclosed with "bars", so that, according to the ride's owner, "the demons can come closer to the visitors this way". the ride's length was reduced from 24 to 19 meters so it can play at smaller fairgrounds in Switzerland. For added effect, the front of the ride has "wafts of mist and scary acoustics".

https://ride-index.de/2011/11/15/geisterbahn-boos/ 

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sisc...lbum_id=1381402565291926 

"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Astro85
Sunday, December 15, 2019 7:20:46 AM
How many loads and hours do you suppose to move that?
Astro85
Sunday, December 15, 2019 7:22:32 AM
You guys remember The Funhouse movie? I guess that funhouse was built on site and was offered to the carnival after filming but they turned it down. Would’ve been cool to see that on a midway. Looked huge.
thunderbolt85
Monday, December 16, 2019 6:41:07 AM
Originally Posted by: Astro85 

You guys remember The Funhouse movie? I guess that funhouse was built on site and was offered to the carnival after filming but they turned it down. Would’ve been cool to see that on a midway. Looked huge.

I remember that movie, yeah I think they may have just built that for the movie then got rid of it.