JustinJames
  •  JustinJames
  • 85.68% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, February 5, 2017 9:23:55 PM
I spoke with Bradd Burton today... he informed me that our mutual friend, Dan Sobecki passed away this past week. Dan was known on MCW as Soda Guy. He was known throughout our industry and loved by many including many show owners. Dan would work rebuilding concession trailers and soda fountain machines over the years.

I called his # tonight and spoke with his brother offering my personal condolences. Dean was very thankful and appreciative of the calls he has received from several of us friends that Dan had... he had MANY. Details were sparse as it would appear Dean is awaiting more answers, but he said that Dan was found in his bed and appeared to pass peacefully.

Speaking for myself, I spent many hours chatting with Dan via phone or text message throughout the last 10+ years. As a younger generation manager, I would often seek his input on various ideas I would be considering. He was always a booster and never a knocker. This industry will miss him and his sarcastic wit... I will simply miss my friend.

Rest in eternal peace, my good friend Dan Sobecki 😞
IndianaTED
Monday, February 6, 2017 1:50:33 AM
I'm stunned...I just talked with Dan about two weeks ago.

Dan was always a great guy with me. Showing patience and sharing knowledge with me various times while talking the biz with an outsider, as I am. He was always my "go to" guy whenever I had questions or heard something or just wanted to talk carnival or Indiana University Basketball/Football.

I only met face-to-face with Dan once, a very nice meeting with him and Bradd Burton several years ago. I'll never forget that afternoon.

My sincerest condolences to his family and many friends.

Rest in peace Dan. You had a profoundly positive effect on my life, and in the end, isn't that all we're here to do?

Ted

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 6, 2017 11:23:04 AM
My prayers go to all concerned.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Pizzagod
Monday, February 6, 2017 12:09:40 PM
Crap.

Just crap. Really didn't expect to read that today.

Damn.

Dan was a heck of a guy-another of us "old timers" dying breed who care about our work and public perception of us.

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Monday, February 6, 2017 4:34:49 PM
Omg 😞 sorry to hear rip to his family, he always posted great info and advice on here.
BeauceCarnavalMan
BeauceCarnavalMan
Monday, February 6, 2017 4:36:47 PM
He was not even really that old born in 1964 as per his profile on here 😞
BeauceCarnavalMan
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, February 7, 2017 6:47:46 AM
I am really sorry to hear of his passing, I didn't know him personally, and we didn't always see "eye to eye" on here, but I am sure from the comments and things he said he was a great showman.

Prayers to his family, friends, and close associates.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:25:48 AM
That's sad news. I called Dan once to find a hard to find part for a friends fountain drink machine. Dan wasn't able to help me.... he tried but the part was just not available anymore. He gave me several numbers and names to search with, none of which panned out, but he would call me every few weeks to see if I had found the part or to tell me about another source. He was defiantly one of the good guys.
Disney Fan
Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:05:26 PM
So sorry to hear about this . R.I.P.....
Chris_texas
Monday, February 13, 2017 9:19:46 AM
Rest in peace. He seemed like a great guy.