flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, June 9, 2014 11:10:36 PM
When a gal or guy in a military uniform is your midway what do you do to show appreciation for their service? Back in the day when I was on the iron I never took tickets from them and the person they were with. They rode free. When in a joint I'd give them a couple of free trys or if the situation was right blow a piece of stock. To me they earned it. ( I Always let handicapped or disabled kids ride free as well.)
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:43:39 AM
There was just a report on the local news here last week about a kid with some condition where both his lower legs were in casts and he was refused a ride on a kid ride for safety reasons.His mom is on this big campaign screaming discrimination, even though she got a refund when she beefed.
On another note, I remember getting my arse chewed when I lifted a handicapped fellow from a wheelchair and put him in a Skywheel tub with his able bodied companion and lifted him back out once on Link's lot. They'd have really been hot had they found out I wouldn't take a ticket from him and left them on for two ride cycles. He'd been sitting in his chair watching the ride for a half hour when he shyly rolled over and asked if he'd be allowed to ride given his handicap. Pretty sure I made his day.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:43:04 AM

IMO, most companies would like to do things for the handicapped but all the new INSURANCE regulations will not let them. We are over governed and overprotected but tell those lawyers that. Of course we elect lawyers to make our laws.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:18:45 PM
We had blind people ask to go through our glasshouse. They were smarter than the sighted ones!
geewizz66
Friday, June 13, 2014 12:05:01 PM
This whole PC crap is getting out of hand. We used to have a time for special needs children, adults, whomever at a lot of our spots but then we started getting requests from the Boys & Girls Clubs and other groups wanting the same FREE RIDE ADMISSION. You can't give it all away for free. I play a very big fair and they have one morning set aside for handicapped people and there are four times as many "volunteers" than the actual clients and in most cases those volunteers don't give a crap about those people - they just want to ride FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The more that you do for people - the MORE they expect and DEMAND! Your better off just sticking to the guidelines that "Insurance regulations only permit those that meet the manufacturer's criteria for enjoying this ride." No exceptions BECAUSE if you do give someone a free ride or stuffed animal others want the same thing and when you don't, your a "fill in the blank" with whatever situation SUITS THEM!

Ain't show biz grand!

Geewizz66
mommasbeverage barn
Friday, June 13, 2014 8:21:29 PM
I remember one time where I helped a Blind man ride our remix II. He was so happy. And I remember we had a guy who was in a wheelchair and me and a Mexican helped him on the thunderbolt... We made sure he stopped at the bottom and helped him off....

But flamo to answer your question about military people, I think that they should have a day. We have a brad paisley concert here in Bangor this weekend. They're giving all military people(active. Retired, veteran) one free ticket. Along with police fire and emt.
Slow you down...Turn you around...Send you back the other direction!!!
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:51:00 AM
I once had a beef register at the office at the Washington County Fair, Greenwich New York.
The complaint was registered by a mother of a normal child.
Her complaint was even though her child did not win, her child did not receive a prize, but they gave another kid a prize for not winning.
We went to the game, I asked the operator what happened.
Operator tells me a severely handicapped kid pushed in a wheelchair wanted to play. The operator takes no money, the kid breaks some balloons, the operator gives the kid a piece of crazyball. The operator, the kid and her parents are happy.
The mother of the normal kid still doesn't think its fair that her kid did not get the same treatment.
I shook my head in disbelief. This mother did not realize she was already a winner in life's lottery. I had to send her on her way with nothing.
She said she we speak to a higher authority, I told her she needed to.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
skydiver77
Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:23:29 PM
I read this in a local newspaper recently , " Poll or Voting Time : It's the time to vote to decide on who to spend your money. " Ain't that the truth![xx(] People get to me, especially with handicapped folks (I too, am handicapped...with cystic fibrosis, diabetes, & neuropathy, which is slowly killing me✌ ) and normal people just don't see the wheelchair that person's in. Like, R U BLIND? He/She's handicapped, you son of ****! You just wanna go ALL OUT on their a double s, but if you do, lawsuit time. Doesn't life suck sometimes? Other people just don't "get it" do they? Just like military folks, they earned their free ride or prize already, so FUQ what the insurance companies say! [angry1]
johnroach100
Monday, June 16, 2014 1:24:00 AM
Originally Posted by: skydiver77 

I read this in a local newspaper recently , " Poll or Voting Time : It's the time to vote to decide on who to spend your money. " Ain't that the truth![xx(] People get to me, especially with handicapped folks (I too, am handicapped...with cystic fibrosis, diabetes, & neuropathy, which is slowly killing me✌ ) and normal people just don't see the wheelchair that person's in. Like, R U BLIND? He/She's handicapped, you son of ****! You just wanna go ALL OUT on their a double s, but if you do, lawsuit time. Doesn't life suck sometimes? Other people just don't "get it" do they? Just like military folks, they earned their free ride or prize already, so FUQ what the insurance companies say! [angry1]

Not trying to be mean, but could we have that in English?

I'm happy to help somebody who is trying in spite of their problem, but those who expect special treatment because of it, long walk, short pier, you know the drill.
yumfy
  •  yumfy
  • 50.08% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:39:48 PM
Once being fired over given out a piece of stock to a disabled child that i would have gladly payed for. I made it a point to come to an agreement with my next boss to pay for any stock given to handicapped or disabled person.
As for military sad to say its a job choice with pay and benefits, unless they are a wounded warrior .

Former army Sixty-Eight Whiskey
I like IDs
and background checks
better than a fat kid
likes chocolate cake!
[8]