thunderbolt85
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:33:54 AM
Got a question here about this model after reading the discussion on Wade's Rainbow back on the road.

Deggeller had a Huss/Weber 1001 Nights along with CVS, and I know a few parks. Does this model have the same problem or potential problem as the Huss Rainbow, or did it have a different design on the tub?

Tornado
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:17:23 AM
The Weber 1001 had drive shafts system running down the out sides of the lower boom, like current smaller/single trailer versions out now (ARM, Satori, etc). Rainbow had some kind of chain and pulley system inside the lower boom.

I've seen 3 1001's (CVS's, RCS's (when they had one)and one on a pier here in NJ). All 3 had the drive shaft system, but it was not noticeable as it was hidden behind/within the scenery on the lower boom. I like the look of the 1001 better than the Rainbow (more lights and different design).

The 1001 you sat on either end of the gondola facing the opposite end where as the Rainbow you sat facing the front of the ride. Not sure which seating arrangement was the better ride (air-time, etc) as I've only ridden the Rainbow...

Also, I've never seen a trailer mounted 1001. The 3 I've seen were all ground mounts... Were there any trailer mounted one's?
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:31:45 AM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

The Weber 1001 had drive shafts system running down the out sides of the lower boom, like current smaller/single trailer versions out now (ARM, Satori, etc). Rainbow had some kind of chain and pulley system inside the lower boom.

I've seen 3 1001's (CVS's, RCS's (when they had one)and one on a pier here in NJ). All 3 had the drive shaft system, but it was not noticeable as it was hidden behind/within the scenery on the lower boom. I like the look of the 1001 better than the Rainbow (more lights and different design).

The 1001 you sat on either end of the gondola facing the opposite end where as the Rainbow you sat facing the front of the ride. Not sure which seating arrangement was the better ride (air-time, etc) as I've only ridden the Rainbow...

Also, I've never seen a trailer mounted 1001. The 3 I've seen were all ground mounts... Were there any trailer mounted one's?

Well, Deggellers was if your talking about the Main Boom or center. I know they put the tub/gondola in front of the main boom and it stayed there during the operation of ride I guess much like the Rainbow as well.

I never saw CVS Nights, only Deggeller's but have seen pictures and of park models. I liked the 1001 better as well as far as theming and lights, just a little more flash it seemed. Not sure about the air time, didn't ride it.
Tornado
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:12:56 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Well, Deggellers was if your talking about the Main Boom or center. I know they put the tub/gondola in front of the main boom and it stayed there during the operation of ride I guess much like the Rainbow as well.

I never saw CVS Nights, only Deggeller's but have seen pictures and of park models. I liked the 1001 better as well as far as theming and lights, just a little more flash it seemed. Not sure about the air time, didn't ride it.

Yes, main boom/center sat on the ground vs. being trailer mounted like a Rainbow. Think it was some how raised up and the trailer slide underneath it. Was surly OVER weight.

Yes both the 1001 and the Rainbow gondola attached to the front bottom section of the lower main boom.

So Deggeller's was trailer mounted like the Rainbow? Never got to see Deggeller's... Was it made by Huss or Weber? Thought at one point there was law suite between Huss and Weber over design similarities?
Was the seating facing the front, like the Rainbow or like the original Weber 1001?

Also, would have any pictures of Deggeller's?
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:29:18 AM

Yes, main boom/center sat on the ground vs. being trailer mounted like a Rainbow. Think it was some how raised up and the trailer slide underneath it. Was surly OVER weight.

Yes both the 1001 and the Rainbow gondola attached to the front bottom section of the lower main boom.

So Deggeller's was trailer mounted like the Rainbow? Never got to see Deggeller's... Was it made by Huss or Weber? Thought at one point there was law suite between Huss and Weber over design similarities?
Was the seating facing the front, like the Rainbow or like the original Weber 1001?

Also, would have any pictures of Deggeller's?

Yep, remember the first time I saw it was in '87 and and seeing those 3 axles on the back with one off the ground. The sitting was facing each other unlike the Rainbow. He brought it to Greenville two years in a row and then never saw it again.

Yeah, had to be overweight. When I was younger I wrote Huss and they sent me a package with all rides/pictures and saw the 1001 nights in there, plus saw the "weber" name on Deggellers so just thought they worked together on the project.

I have seen some pixs of Deggellers, will try to find link and post.
Cygnus12
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:10:55 PM

I've been on both and I'd have to say that Rainbow gave the better ride. Not necessarily due to the seating arrangement, but due to the lapbars. On Rainbow, the lapbars come down to a fixed position with quite a bit room for riders to move around and catch air. 1001 Nachts had individual lapbars that would automatically clamp down hard. Riders were essentially pinned to the seat.

1001 Nachts looks much better than Rainbow imo, but Rainbow gives the better ride.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:24:30 PM
Here is a link to some pictures of it I found, not mine, but a lot of good pix on this site and of Deggeller and Magic Midway.

You can just see the trailer/back of ride in these pixs

http://www.flickr.com/ph...n/set-72157624660542625/ 
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:54:54 PM
Which one ended up at Knoebels park in PA? CVS's or Deggellers?
skydiver77
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:29:50 PM
If the Rainbow had lapbars that clamped down tight like that, those people might've stayed in their seats when that particular Rainbow a few years back suddenly went into free-spin mode. Huss needs to redesign something ( I think ) with how that gondola is kept upright at all times. Maybe even go so far as to yank out the gears / gearing in the lower boom and have the gondola to just free swing / sit/pivot on a rod sticking out like Faller's version of the Rainbow. There's a rod that sticks out, making the gondola be free-swing, relying on no gears. Of course there's that puny rubber band trying to act as a gear keeping it upright, but it's mainly free-swing.
hussrainbow87
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:58:42 PM
The lapbars had nothing to do with the Rainbow accident at Liseberg. To be honest nothing has to be redesigned on the Rainbow. It has an overall nicer design compared to WEBER and what they did with the 1001, Huss does look after the remaining models that still travel and are in parks, seeing as they won the patent for Rainbow. The way the FALLER model is designed would in no way work with a real model of the Rainbow. The necessary means have been made to fix the drive system in the Rainbow, so you have nothing to worry about anymore.