archived14
Monday, December 22, 2003 8:14:07 AM
As a Floridian that still to this day is shocked about CircusWorld/Boardwalk and Baseball in Winter Haven closing, I was wondering if anyone knows where to find pics of it on the net, preferably after closing down and during the years of decay. I read in the Orlando Sentinel recently that the huge Imax building up front that housed the Circus was being demolished. Any pics of that somewhere? This was a truly beautiful park, but suffered from location-being too far from the Disney beaten path. Anyone remember this great place and have memories to share?
JustinJames
Monday, December 22, 2003 8:47:55 AM
I went to this place when I was on a Disney Vacation back when I was about 10 years old. The lineup I remember some of...

Mack Jaguar Express
1001 Indians (rethemed rainbow or weber 1001 nachts?)
Enterprise
Giant Wheel (dutch?)
Parachute Jump Tower
Calypso
Wicked Curve (launch coaster)
Santa Maria 2 (kinda like Rock and Tug, but for adults)
Mack Slieghride (german proununciation)
Swiss Bobs
That's all I remember
archived14
Monday, December 22, 2003 12:35:05 PM
Long before Islands of Adventure,they had the best roller coaster in the Orlando area-a wooden masterpiece called the "Florida Hurricane". Never forget "Weiner looping".
FunkyTown
Monday, December 22, 2003 1:01:33 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by gogator

Long before Islands of Adventure,they had the best roller coaster in the Orlando area-a wooden masterpiece called the "Florida Hurricane". Never forget "Weiner looping".

Yea that's true... But then your right about IOA came in with the Hulk and Duelling Dragons, also Sea World with Kracken (sp?). So it was over for them.
David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, December 22, 2003 1:24:58 PM
The Weiner looping is now a resident of my country as the Bullet at Flamingoland which is also dome to the former Bather Dierer Looping another former traveling coaster.

B&B were going to get a Alpina Bahn copy build in the late 1980's but it never got built.
OUT NOW! Amusement Rides European Special 3: Oberhausen-Sterkrade (Germany) DVD
Trailer and information can be found on the website
http://www.amusementridesdvd.co.uk 
babyhughie
Monday, December 22, 2003 1:46:19 PM
mike wood ended up with the flying bobs type ride from the park and it is still stunning!
JustinJames
Monday, December 22, 2003 1:52:05 PM
No that is NOT the same Sleighride. I asked Joyce about that in 97. She said there were two of the Sleighrides in the U.S. And the one at Boardwalk and Baseball was it's sister ride. Joyce was part of the upper management for the late Red Wood at that time I believe.
babyhughie
Monday, December 22, 2003 4:28:59 PM
sorry justin it is the same one!spoke to mike for about 2 hours one day about the week they spent at the park tearing it down.they did alot of cutting as most of the stuff was seized due to the salt air
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, December 22, 2003 4:40:57 PM
There was a Sobema Himalaya there in the late 70's or early 80's. It was a unique one that folded up on 1 trailer long before Wisdom made one.
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

babyhughie
Monday, December 22, 2003 5:05:48 PM
i beleive the park closed in the mid 80's for the final time.i saw mikes sleighride in the late 80's in harrison michigan.I dont spread unsubstantiated facts around here so i will try and confirm.Give me a day or so
LONNOL
Monday, December 22, 2003 5:20:22 PM
Justin-

I beleive the wheel was a Schwarzkopf and is not the one at Six Flags Great Adventure:

http://www.flatrides.com.../Schwarzkopf40mwheel.jpg 

Adam
www.flatrides.com : Pimp-slapping you with all your flat ride needs.
archived14
Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:31:38 AM
B&B actually closed in either 90 or 91. The guests nor the employees knew it was happening. management decided to close the gate at 3pm that day and announced it over the loudspeaker. The guests were given refunds as they left the park and employees were called to a meeting in one of the park ampitheaters where the situation was explained. Busch Entertainment bought it and closed it soon after. Anyone been by the grounds lately?
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, December 23, 2003 2:24:39 AM
I remember going to that park in 1979 with my family, when it was Circus World, and I thought it was a great park. Rides back then included the Calypso, Enterprise, Himalaya, Giant Wheel, Parachute Drop, M-G-R, Bayern Kurve, Bumper Cars, and the Flordia Hurricane wooden coaster, plus rides I cannot recall. They also had a circus that I recall was very good, and a giant model circus display that was awesome. [:)]

If I am not mistaken, the wooden coaster is now in Arkansas and called the "Arkansas Twister." [:)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
JustinJames
Tuesday, December 23, 2003 11:29:29 AM
wierd... Joyce and Bubba both told me that one at the park was it's sister. But, I learn something new everyday.[;)]