crazyspin
  •  crazyspin
  • 59.46% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, December 14, 2003 10:46:32 AM
I found this ride Searching the Web, Its very interesting! Almost a combo of a Scrambler and Breakdancer! [:D]
http://capital2.capital....ff/dalthoff/cycloid.html 
Tell me what you think! [:D]

Thanks,
[:D] Crazyspin[:D]
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:06:56 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by crazyspin

I found this ride Searching the Web, Its very interesting! Almost a combo of a Scrambler and Breakdancer! [:D]

Thanks,

The page you linked to belongs to one of the members here, David Althoff. I have seen, but not ridden the Cycloid. I can put up a couple of pics, though the were taken on a tight lot so I couldn't get the whole ride in the shot.

UserPostedImage

carnivalangel14
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:21:07 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by crazyspin

Thanks,

Your right Crazyspin, it is very interesting. Looks cool. [;)]
~Vanessa~
*_ Agility~ My anti drug!!_*
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:29:08 AM
Cycloid 
Cycloid_2 

As Dave says in his site, it's the only one.

UserPostedImage

crazyspin
  •  crazyspin
  • 59.46% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:35:43 AM
JustinJames
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:42:03 AM
It's a scrambler with a gravitron feel LOL.
BSA Mike
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:46:20 AM
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:53:00 AM
Quote:

quote:

SDS Mike Posted - 12/14/2003 : 4:46:20 PM

whos got the only 1?

Bates Amusement Inc., Wintersville, OH.
BSA Mike
RideMan
Tuesday, December 16, 2003 5:16:05 PM
crazyspin: Thanks for the plug! [8D]

bairbros: Awwwww....Bates took the lights off the backs of the tubs!

I have photos and video of the thing, as well...I think the S/N is 97-01. I should put that stuff up. I've ridden the ride; it's faster than a Scrambler, with the seats facing the unit poles. It's also larger than the Scrambler...I'm not sure about the absolute size, but it has 24 tubs and can seat two adults, perhaps three kids in each tub. Strongest sustained forces I've ever felt on a ride when the center and unit poles are both going in the same direction...the forces on this thing are on the magnitude of a Force-10, but I found it less unpleasant because of the direction of force application: it pushes you BACK into the seat, not down.

The ride has a hydraulic drive, and it is mounted on a trailer that drops down, like the trailer on a Merry Mixer, with the operator's seat and controls situated over the trailer's axle. The unit poles are individually driven by separate hydraulic motors, so the unit pole and center rotations are not mechanically linked.

I'm surprised there aren't more of them. It's a good ride, but I suspect it hasn't sold because it's too similar to a Scrambler. Whenever I've seen it set up, though, Bates doesn't seem to have any trouble getting people to ride it. Incredible capacity for a flat ride, too!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
orphaned
Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:12:21 AM
I've seen this ride somewhere....I just can't remember where it was at...for some reason, I think that I rode it too. I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out. I know it wasn't around here....would this ride have been at the Texas State Fair in 1997?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, December 17, 2003 3:45:47 PM
I think the Eli Cycloid was at the Trade Show in Cleveland in 1997.
RideMan
Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:47:52 PM
I don't know about the Cleveland trade show, but in the Spring of '97, it was there for the I-X Indoor Amusement Park. That's when I rode it for the first time.

It seems that I've seen a lot of rides for the first time at that Spring carnival. First time I ever saw a Skycoaster, the cables were attached to the roof trusses. One year they booked in a Soriani & Moser Top Spin just a couple of weeks before the first Huss version in the US opened at Geauga Lake. When the Chaos was a new ride, Chance booked one in to the IX carnival. And I think that's also where I saw an Inverter for the first time.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
orphaned
Thursday, December 18, 2003 2:43:17 AM
I didnt go to IX that year....but I know (unless I'm crazy) that I've been on this ride somewhere. Would Bates have booked it in anywhere?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, December 18, 2003 3:24:12 PM
Checked my photo album and the Cycloid was at the AIMS show in Cleveland in October 1997.