skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:04:32 PM
I miss seeing Strates' Ghost Train set up in Raleigh in October, that one was a favorite of mine. One i wanted to go through, but never did was the Cape Fear. The Creep Shows dark ride out west looks cool, but i doubt i ever make it out that way to ride it. One i remember seeing on Strates' midway in the early 90's in Raleigh was the Ghost Mansion, that i brought up if anyone remembered it back in the Spring. Never did take the time to go through that one either. I remember when the Thriller dark walk-thrus came out in the late 80's/early 90's. They looked spooky, but were customers scared when they came out, or thought it was cheesy? I'd love to hear some stories from you guys on the different dark rides that are out there, & the ones from back in the day. I remember one called Forbidden Caverns that was Strates' midway or a book-on at the '91 NC State Fair. The cars looked to be Flying Bobs tubs painted orange & made for that dark ride. The one that always made me curious was Thriller, as to what was in it. I saw one show that later turned their Thriller into an Indiana Jones-theme & they did away with the haunted house-theme to it.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:31:49 AM
I always thought the Ghost Train on Strates (Mike Scott) was one of the best as well, I think either it was sold to a show out in the midwest, or is being booked out there.

Thriller was pretty good for walk through, a lot dark, with a few good tricks (hose pipes on walls to rub legs, etc). Deggeller had one in Greenville one time called "Thor", didn't get to go through it, anybody know anything about it and what happened to it?

I always like that one on Conklin's midway that was playing the Michael Myers music, never went through, but looked/sounded pretty good.
swooper
Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:54:07 AM
Christianias's (hope thats how to spell it)
Ghost Train
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:54:58 PM
Strates use to have one that looked like a haunted concert hall anyone remember what it was called? Its had Jimmy hendrix,Elvis,Jim Morrison and others painted on the front!
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:53:43 PM
Best 2 dark rides ive ever seen, and ive seen a bunch, was (1) The Earthquake, traveled with Gooding Amusements back in the mid 60s.(2) The Witches Castle. Traveled with Conklin Shows when i was with them, in the mid 80s. What made this so great, was the live"spooks" that works inside and out. Always drew a crowd. It was owned by Teo Zacchini.
Bowler Roller
Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:07:59 PM
I think the Witches Castle was the one Renny Zuchini had on CVS.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
cloudeleven
Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:23:54 PM
This isn't a haunted house, but I thought this was an interesting dark/fun house. It's at Oktoberfest in Germany right now:

Seems like they should be playing Jimi Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane in there, though. [flowers]

Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:54:40 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

Renny had a smaller one that was with CVS back then. . Zacchini Enterprises built them. The Canadian Zacchini unit played the Southern Comfort unit, which CVS was a major part of that unit.
JustinJames
Friday, October 12, 2012 1:39:37 PM
Illumillusion in Dallas is impressive. Always loved Bill Hensley's Flight to Mars. Pugh Shows Ghost Train was a cool one in its day. The Owens Haunted Mansion has some cool tricks and props inside when they all work too.
ladderman
Friday, October 12, 2012 4:40:06 PM
Lumalusion now named scary park and is completely themed inside and out as dark ride, ride seems to do much better sense making the theme change.
ringmaster
Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:43:53 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

It was a piggy * to set-up and keep runnin'.
Now this one isn't portable, but it is the best.

http://www.laffinthedark.com/articles/bpn/bpn1.htm 
coasterkeener
Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:25:53 PM
Lumalusion (Scary Park) is a good dark ride, however it does not travel. Flight to Mars has an excellent front and the dip is fun. The actual dark ride section was disappointing. There were few stunts and it wasn't very dark.
jimb
  •  jimb
  • 52.34% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:35:26 PM
Wasn't there a large Dark Ride that traveled with Conklin. Believe it was owned by a Gentleman by the name of Truax (sp.?). May have owned the piece with the Office. Was mentioned at one time the piece was considered the largest Dark Ride (length wise) traveling in North America.

Believe a picture of the Ride made it into MCW calendar one year. Matt may be able to confirm this. Was there anything to the inside of it?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:23:29 PM
Truax had one or two big walk-thru's with Conklin in the 90's. Don't remember a darkride. I remember Zachini's first "triple deck darkride" around 1972. It was parked at Erie Co Fair in Hamburg NY before opening but went to Toronto for CNE instead.
Erik9976
Monday, October 15, 2012 10:28:47 AM
Phantasma and Kastle of Evil with Beetlejuice on top