powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:35:54 PM
For those of you who have used this on your Trailers, any advice you can give as far as cutting, and applying it?? I've hesitated for years on using it, or any decals for that matter, but my Project right now wouuld look so much better with Striping, and would give me the confidence to do other Trailers with it.

Thanks!!
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:23:57 PM
Used a ton of it and other water slide decals as well. Just cut them out either in a section or individual depending on what style you need. Dip in luke warm water. Let soak for like 5 seconds then try to slide off backing gently with tweezers. Those are real fragile and tear easy. Once in place pat dry softly with a towel. Let dry for a couple hours then clear over. I use krylon krystal clear on everything I paint but be careful if you do as for I don't know what paint you're using and how it would react. Good luck, they come out awesome and the sheet you get has lots of variety.
carnivalkits
Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:39:49 PM
Hey Ted you mention getting the decals on a sheet. Where do you order them from?

Rich
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
Friday, October 12, 2012 7:06:26 PM
Thanks Ted. I was hoping you would respond because I knew that you had used it on a lot of your stuff. I think what I'll also do is practice a few strips on some stock that was painted at the same time the trailer was painted.
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:46:40 AM
Brett,

Yea no prob, just takes a little practice and you'll have it down.

I prefer water slide decals for everything I can get them on. The bigger the decals get a little tricky to work with just takes time. What I love is spraying over the model with clear once I'm done. It locks the decal down for good, unlike paper which will come up over time...

Rich,

For the dot striping I get it at walther when I'm in Milwaukee. It's made by micro scale and is cheap. Comes on a sheet with a lot of variety. I would not suggest trying to make your own for what the sheet costs. Plus these are true to scale.
carnivalkits
Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:14:28 AM
Thanks Ted, I will check it out. Anytime I can buy something rather than make it is always cheeper and more improtant faster!
RIch
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:15:07 PM
I ended up DOT Striping my Paratrooper today. Practiced a couple of times before applying it to the Trailer. I had bought Walthers' Solvaset for this purpose. I had a heck of a time getting the Striping to "float" into position. Getting it into a rough position, applying Solvaset gave me the time I needed to slide it into place, and fine tune the final position. The Solvaset comes with a brush within the bottle, but I found that no matter how much I wiped the brush to remove excess liquid, it still was putting too much onto the surface. Most of the time, it was ok, but I did have to redo one because it softened up the Decal too much causing it to tear.

As I anticipated, the results are fantastic, and once I clear the Striping in a couple of hours, it should be good to go.

Thanks!!
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
SideWinder
Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:42:48 PM
That stuff can be a pain in the butt, that's why I just make my own. Print it on gloss paper and cut them to size and glue them on where I need them, giving me plenty of time to adjust it where I want it.