Flying Coaster
Friday, September 14, 2012 7:38:09 PM
Looks to be in pretty good shape from all I can see. Obviously stored indoors...
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Rockowheel
Friday, September 14, 2012 8:22:32 PM
Originally Posted by: Flying Coaster 

LEDs look great on some rides, but to remove the fluorescent lamps from a Skywheel altogether is not a good look. Without the tower and boom lights the ride looks naked. True, they are a huge p.i.t.a. to maintain but they look so good. Something needs to be figured out though because the day is coming when you will not be able to purchase the slimlines anymore because they ARE going to be discontinued thanks to Gub'ment mandates.


Just like the traditional 11s14 incandescant bulbs that will be someday discontinued, it's all just a matter of time. I don't care what anyone says, no matter how cool the LEDs are with all the action and color-changing, the flourescents gave the midway a way brighter look.

bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, September 15, 2012 4:49:41 AM
I SOOOOOOOOO hope they come to Tampa id love to ride them in person plus what a great place to showcase them then at one of the kick off events to the year? (hint, hint lol just sayin')
Bob

Flying Coaster
Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:11:03 PM
Originally Posted by: swooper 

i think the origional ligting and paint would be great you dont need to make it different or stand out from another one cause there are none.

but i know on a single skywheel was advertised by A.H. to have 240 lights so if this is true it must be around 600 or so with the center tower. very hard and costly just to keep lit.


Having to handle and remove a large percentage of those 240 does add a good bit of time to teardown though.

All Skywheels should be yeller.
olediggerguy
Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:05:09 PM
You have to give this show alot of credit.To make the commitment in time, labor and CASH to buy and then refurbish this classic is not something you see much anymore. The fact that she takes four loads is a statement in itself.I have a few questions:

How many years did ROYAL have her out on the road?
Where did she go after her time at ROYAL?
When was the last time she was set up?
Where has she been sitting all these years and was it indoors or out?
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:33:42 AM
i can answer one question the last time they were setup was at the 2003 FSF in Tampa before that they hadnt been set up since 1995
Bob

hrubetz76
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:19:11 PM
Wow, I actually remember seeing them there in 2003. I beleive they sat in the vicinity of where the skydiver was sitting that year if anyone else can remember. I got on the Diver but not the space wheels. I should have if I knew how nostalgic they were. Thanks for the memory of me seeing them.
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:26:14 PM
It's interesting to look at the pictures and pick out the minute differences in construction between the Velare ride and an Allen Herschell, such as the riveted booms and bull wheels. Most notable is the absence of a ledge to walk on between the bull wheels and the cabin due to the cabin wall being flush with the edge of the trailer deck. I suppose since the booms are not racked on those trailers it was not necessary but I imagine it makes for a good bit of ladder work in that area.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Jackpotter
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:26:25 PM
Originally Posted by: hrubetz76 

Wow, I actually remember seeing them there in 2003. I beleive they sat in the vicinity of where the skydiver was sitting that year if anyone else can remember. I got on the Diver but not the space wheels. I should have if I knew how nostalgic they were. Thanks for the memory of me seeing them.



I don't recall a Diver being there that year. JohnC and I rode the Space Wheels....and we'd have surely ridden a Diver if there'd been one???? Were the Space Wheels set up at Tampa any other time in the 2000-2002 period?

hrubetz76
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:35:48 PM
Your right, it probably was 01 or 02. I was under the impression that 03 was the only year they were there. It's been so long since I've been to the FSF. I just remember the Space Wheels being set up a couple of rides down from the Diver on the complete opposite side of the midway from where kiddie land was. I think that was closer to Interstate 4 if I can remember correctly.
Tornado
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:35:00 PM


Whatever year they were in Tampa they were also in Miami at the Dade County Youth Fair as I saw and rode them there. If you followed the midway from the front gate to the left all the way around to the end they were setup there in front of the building and walkway. I also remember seeing them setup at the Meadowlands with Big A years back. I believe the World cup Soccer was taking place there as the midway was moved to the back. So whatever year that was… They had a Chanced Falling Star there that same year. First time seeing a portable model. Believe it was Bud Reynolds?
Scarlett
  •  Scarlett
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:10:16 PM
Towers are in the air!

New Photos Added 
Scarlett Butler

"I used to have a handle on life, but then it broke off."
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:46:21 PM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

Whatever year they were in Tampa they were also in Miami at the Dade County Youth Fair as I saw and rode them there. If you followed the midway from the front gate to the left all the way around to the end they were setup there in front of the building and walkway. I also remember seeing them setup at the Meadowlands with Big A years back. I believe the World cup Soccer was taking place there as the midway was moved to the back. So whatever year that was… They had a Chanced Falling Star there that same year. First time seeing a portable model. Believe it was Bud Reynolds?

What years were they at the Dade County Youth Fair? I played that fair many years, and only remember there being 2 single skywheels there, side by side. I even saw one fall there, during set up.


bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:27:22 AM
looking great to see them going up again. id love to see them in person once more. My girl said she'd ride the skywheel it'd be great to break her in on the one and only Spacewheel. We will see where the schedule takes them keep posting pics

Bob

Scarlett
  •  Scarlett
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:10:46 PM
Originally Posted by: bob4554 

looking great to see them going up again. id love to see them in person once more. My girl said she'd ride the skywheel it'd be great to break her in on the one and only Spacewheel. We will see where the schedule takes them keep posting pics



One step at a time, once the refurb is done then the route will be considered.
Scarlett Butler

"I used to have a handle on life, but then it broke off."