thunderbolt85
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:49:33 PM
Is anybody moving a chance toboggan anymore besides Skerbeck or is he the last one? I know Deggeller had one, but guess he sold it, and saw one on Johnny's United Shows years ago.

I rode em, but always concerned about the tub getting stuck in the tube, but never heard of it happening.

Anybody got any good stories about the Toboggan?
JustinJames
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:04:55 PM
McDonaghs had one for a few years. Was sold to Mexico. Made money but yeah did have several times where it got stuck in the tube.
Benjibear
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:07:15 PM
It appears that this ride may be a dying ride. There may be a handful still in parks.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:11:51 PM
Painful ride.

All Skywheels should be yeller.
Rockowheel
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:50:53 PM
Originally Posted by: Flying Coaster 

Painful ride.

I second that....especially when the tub enters the tight little coaster hills at the end. As far as parks go, there is still one operating at Little Amerikka in Wis.

Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:05:19 PM
Originally Posted by: Rockowheel 

I second that....especially when the tub enters the tight little coaster hills at the end. As far as parks go, there is still one operating at Little Amerikka in Wis.

But, I always got on it again & again. (MBGS)

All Skywheels should be yeller.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:14:16 PM
yep, those hills at the end were rough, especially the first one. Hard to believe the first one had "open" tubs.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:05:23 PM
First time I rode one I wondered why the roof was padded inside. After that first little hill I knew, when my head bounced off the roof.
godsonsafari
Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:05:53 AM
Personally, I hate 'em. Think its kinda cool Skerbeck moves one (I should see it at Allegan) but yeah, not a favorite. At parks there's a few - there's still ones at Little A-Merrick-A in Wisconsin and at Lakemont in PA. Conneaut Lake has one that has been standing and not operating for probably 5-6 years (at least). One is listed to be running in China but it could be a knockoff. There's actually a knockoff Toboggan there with a vertical loop in it, which is patently absurd and horrible. Stewart Miller in the UK also owns one and travels with it and I think there may be more running at carnivals south of the US border in Mexico/Central America/Brazil/et al. Anywhere old steel coasters go to die, there's a shot there might be one or two lurking.
Bowler Roller
Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:16:01 AM
Ah yes. That's where I recently saw a Toboggan. It was Skerbeck at Berkley Days. CVS had one (which I heard ended up with McDs) when I worked with them. I don't think anyone liked it.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Rockowheel
Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:26:12 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

yep, those hills at the end were rough, especially the first one. Hard to believe the first one had "open" tubs.

Hell I even found the vertical ascent up that tube uncomfortable, although the sound of the chain lift resounding in there was kind of cool.

wvscott
Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:16:19 AM
there used to be 2 of them side by side at Hershey Park when I was young, and I still remember it not being very pleasant.

there was also one in the "Doc Hollywood" movie, not sure what midway that was

Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:09:09 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

there used to be 2 of them side by side at Hershey Park when I was young, and I still remember it not being very pleasant.

there was also one in the "Doc Hollywood" movie, not sure what midway that was

Doc Hollywood was Mighty Bluegrass Shows. I remember the two side-by-side at Hershey Park. I visited there way back in 1977 on a family trip and they were there. I have a Hershey book somewhere at home that has a photo of them.

I remember as a kid growing up in Michigan I saw the Toboggan all the time, Wade, World of Pleasure/Link, Pugh, Crown all moved one. Crown's ended up with Skerbeck, where it still is today. No idea where the others went. Saw Cumberland Valley's for the first time in 1991 in Port Huron, Michigan, then in 2004 when the McDonagh's bought it. They sold it in 2009 to a Mexican operator. Very cool ride to see on a midway, but awful to ride. LOL I have an HO-scale model of a Toboggan at home I built a couple of years ago, does that count? LOL

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain