IndianaTED
Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:26:05 AM
I just returned from my third visit to this year's Indiana State Fair. I always go three or four times each year, and as hard as it may be for you to believe, sometimes I never even set foot on the midway. However, I did tonight.

You are not going to find me putting down Mid America Shows, I mean N.A.M.E.. They obviously have great looking rides and professional looking staff. And yet, I get what some of you are saying. This midway, as good as it is, does kind of give me the sensation of been-there-done-that. Why won't N.A.M.E. allow some Indepenents on the midway that might give it a fresher look?

Year after year, the ISF midway only has one big coaster, and it always is the crazy mouse coaster. I'm sure that maybe someone would like the opportunity with a Zyklon/Galaxy type of coaster get back in there. Also, for many years now, the only Himalaya-type ride at the ISF is a one-trailer watered-down Wisdom version. Again, I'm pretty sure an independent operator would maybe bring a "real" Himalaya in there given the chance. And yes, people know the difference, not just us fans.

But again, I'm not slamming N.A.M.E., just looking for some noticeable variety.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
done with it
Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:47:19 AM
[agree]

It has been the same rides for 7 to 8 years now,I worked
For mid america in 08 and 09, and played the ISF,and on several
Occasions I heard parents saying its a nice fair,but they all also
Said its the same rides from the year before,im sorry but the
Carnival is a brand,that u try to sell,just like a car dealer,except
When buying a new or used car,the dealer doesnt try to sell
The same car u just owned, I beleive in the carnival biz,your
Goal should be to get most ove the same people to return,because
They know it will be a new experince,and not the same, just saying!!!
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:20:55 AM
I think some are over thinking this. I mean, I go to the LA County Fair, and Orange County fair every year and their midway's are the same every year. Rides like Tango and Evolution have been going to both spots for almost ten years. The only difference from what I saw is a different coaster. The one RCS bought from Santas Village which was a new piece in 2011. All it did was replace a coaster not add to count. I don't see or hear complaints, and if they are, they're still coming back.

I get what some of you are saying, but which Indy's would you book in? Indiana and Wisconsin overlapped this year right? So those guys weren't available.
Soda Guy
Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:44:43 PM
Originally Posted by: done with it 

[agree]

It has been the same rides for 7 to 8 years now,I worked
For mid america in 08 and 09, and played the ISF,and on several
Occasions quote]

Now I understand your posts, I have never met an ex-employee who couldn't run the show better than the owners.

britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:40:12 PM
people go to the same amusement parks each year with the same rides they had the last year. maybe the parks will add or change out a piece every 3-4 years but nobody complains much so why do traveling carnivals have to change up so much? with the way the economy is right now I do not know how carnivals can keep investing in new pieces. sure one or two pieces can change the total appearance of the midway or even moving pieces around can give new look. as far as independents, they are going to be at the largest and best where the largest possible earnings are.