• 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:09:52 AM
I thought I would start a new thread and post a couple of video's of the Meteor

Old Version:

New Version:

Matt C.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:09:52 AM
Thanks for posting Scott. I wonder how well the European version does. It seems like a pretty neat concept, and is high capacity. Might be another piece Wisdom could modernize.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:04:11 AM
I always liked the old Hrubetz Meteor, fun ride. There was a show back in the early 70's called Hap-Hap-Happee Days, (which I assume later became PBJ Happee Days because they both had Meteors), that did still dates at a shopping center here and brought a Meteor. MBGS brought one in one year as well. Cool ride but looked difficult to move as most of the parts had to come off the rack to the ground to spread the booms, then it all had to be hauled back up top.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Benjibear
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:20:29 PM
Is there any old Hrubetz Meteors around either still traveling or in a park in the US?

The action reminds be of a Scrambler on steroids.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Matt C.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:49:49 PM
Frank Zaitshik of Wade Shows told me he owned two Meteor rides when he purchased Wade Shows from Glen Wade.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
circusguy
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:40:54 PM
Correct Matt and I owned the third one. Upon selling to Frank, Glenn Wade and Red Wood owned three Meteors. After selling to Frank, we, Glenn Wade, Red Wood and myself formed the Elliott Amusement Co. we had the third Meteor and about 20 other rides. That was in 1981.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:42:07 AM
Back in the 60s WT Collins had one. On occasion I had to move it. It was miserable to move and rough to operate as you had to climb the steps to load and make sure people were locked. On a busy day that was tons of steps to climb. It couldn't keep up with the Scrambler on gross.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:30:52 AM
Originally Posted by: circusguy 

Correct Matt and I owned the third one. Upon selling to Frank, Glenn Wade and Red Wood owned three Meteors. After selling to Frank, we, Glenn Wade, Red Wood and myself formed the Elliott Amusement Co. we had the third Meteor and about 20 other rides. That was in 1981.

I think I remember yours Jim. Didn't yours have the solid sides with a space theme?
circusguy
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:29:26 AM
Correct Scott. After I sold my 1/3 of the Elliott Show to Red and Glenn Wade, in the winter of 88"-89", they set the ride up ONE TIME in 1989, discovered what shape it was in and traded it in on a new Gravitron from Wisdom. I have no idea what became of it after that.
swooper
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:09:56 PM

Anyone know when they first came out? my guess mid 60's. I rember one on A of A in the mid 60's to around 1970 and then it was destroyed in a road accident.
circusguy
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:37:37 PM
Glenn Wade bought his first one in 1963. He purchased it from Mike Miller of Corpse Christi, Tex. It was #1 and was bought new in 1961.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:41:17 PM
Saw a relatively new Meteor booked on with Strates in NY in 1963. All fluorescents one turret green, one blue and one pink, very stunning.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:54:46 PM
Originally Posted by: circusguy 

I always remember seeing two Meteor's at the Michigan State Fair when I was a kid, late 1970's or so, one painted mainly blue, one white. Always a great ride, my second all time favorite behind the Sky Wheel.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Erik9976
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:12:37 PM
I believe Kissell out of Alabama has one. Not 100% sure though. That show has some unique pieces.
vcanfield
Friday, March 23, 2012 11:59:32 AM
Billboard first reported the Meteor in connection with the fall 1960 NAAPPB meeting, but said the ride had been in the works for three years. Expected production for 1961 was six units.