Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, November 29, 2003 5:24:36 PM
Were these two rides just different versions of the same Chance ride? which is newer - i am guessing the Alpine one?
The Alpine seems larger too, or is that just my imagination? are there other "bobs" rides?
Majestic Fan1982
Saturday, November 29, 2003 6:44:51 PM
No clue if they are the same make Sue, somebody else will have to answer that for you.

But i do believe they are all the same size just all differnt names and themes. such as Alpine Bobs, Flying Bobs, Thunder Bolt, Rock & Roll and the list goes on and on.

To me it's just the same ride differnt theme differnt name.

But of course yes their are some newer versions of the ride.

Not really sure what model would be the newest version?

You are all going to have to jump in on this topic and help us out lol. cause now i am wondering myself. hmmmm
squirrel
Saturday, November 29, 2003 6:52:37 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Majestic Fan1982

No clue if they are the same make Sue, somebody else will have to answer that for you.

But i do believe they are all the same size just all differnt names and themes. such as Alpine Bobs, Flying Bobs, Thunder Bolt, Rock & Roll and the list goes on and on.

To me it's just the same ride differnt theme differnt name.

But of course yes their are some newer versions of the ride.

Not really sure what model would be the newest version?

You are all going to have to jump in on this topic and help us out lol. cause now i am wondering myself. hmmmm

To the best of my knowledge the following rides are essentially the exact same design with some minor changes. (changes include different scenery theming, lighting, possible racking differences, etc.) Please note that the following rides are all Chance Mfg. versions only, not the Allen Hershell models (early Flying Bobs).

Flying Bobs (original theme - from Allen Hershell I believe)
Rock'n'Roll (alternative Chance theme)
Music Fest (alternative Chance theme)
Thunderbolt (alternative Chance theme - giant light show)
Alpine Bobs (most recent version - latest 'generic theme')

Somewhere between the last years of the Flying Bobs and the Thunderbolt/Alpine Bobs versions, the entrances and exits were changed in position (if my memory serves correctly). Also, there was a change in the design of the seats on the newer Thunderbolts and Alpine Bobs as well... Other than that, I believe that the rides are all essentially the same size wise, operating capacity, etc...

Currently, I believe the Thunderbolt and Alpine Bobs themes are still available, but I would imagine with the right amount of money, you could get Chance-Morgan to theme it any way you want it...
Skywheelrider
Saturday, November 29, 2003 8:39:10 PM
I believe all the Chance versions are the same size, but from seeing the Allan Herschell Flying Bobs, it appears "slightly" smaller than the Chance. The loading of the AH and Chance Flying Bobs/Music Fest are basically the same (with the entrance in the front, exit in the back, some with entrance/exit in front only), but it was changed with the Thunder Bolt/Rock and Roll and Alpine Bobs, where stairs on either side were added, with exits in front and back. Some T-Bolts I have seen only have one set of stairs (Mid America Shows is one), with the stairs on the dog house side of the ride. Check out Ohio Ron's Indiana State Fair photos for unusual position of the stairs on Farrow's Alpine Bobs. The tubs on the AH and Chance Bobs/Music Fest are the same, but changed with the T-Bolt/Rock and Roll and Alpine. And the upper outside scenery panels went from straight to angled from Bobs/Music Fest to T-Bolt/Rock and Roll/Alpine. Another difference, the position of the dog house--the windows are almost at platform level on the AH and Chance Flying Bobs/Music Fest, while the dog house was raised up higher for the T-Bolt/Rock and Roll/Alpine.

The order of manufacture is:

Allan Herschell Flying Bobs
Chance Flying Bobs/Music Fest
Chance ThunderBolt/Rock and Roll
Chance Alpine Bobs

The Rock and Roll was an alternate theme of the T-Bolt, and I know one for sure was built, and owned (still?) by Interstate Amusements of America. The T-Bolt version was introduced in the mid-1980's, and the first one I saw was in September 1986 with Pugh Shows. The Alpine Bobs was introduced in the mid 1990's, and the first one I saw was with Crown Amusements in May 1996, then Wade Shows a couple weeks later. I believe the last Flying Bobs built was done so around 1983 or 1984, right before the T-Bolt was introduced. [:)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Sunday, November 30, 2003 3:49:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I saw the rocknroll version at a fair here in TN with Myers Midways so that was probably Interstates booked in.
The FLying BObs I did a painting of at DelGrosso's park in PA seemed to be smaller (obviously much older) than the Alpine Bobs I just painted of Farrows. But it probably just has to do with the trees/setting of the park one,or is there a park model/portable model difference too?
Are these designs based somewhat on the old Caterpillar ride like Idlewild Park in PA still runs? (with the canvas going off & on)?
It seems similar but just a tilted platform..
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 30, 2003 6:07:34 AM
The history of the sleigh ride will take you to two directions. Chipawa Lake park in Ohio had an ancient version of a metal framed gondola, probably from the 1930's.

It may be older in Europe but the matterhorn comes to mind. I have seen very heavy wooden sweeps on such rides over there in the early 60's. None of these operate like the caterpillar.
UserPostedImage
RideMan
Sunday, November 30, 2003 1:16:25 PM
I was just going to mention the Mack Matterhorn and Schlittenfährt, also the Reverchon Matterhorn...same sort of ride as the Flying Bobs, but different designs.

The Mack Matterhorn (Cedar Point and Geauga Lake both have these...) is easy to distinguish from the Chance ride not only by the tub design (the Matterhorn has Jhle tubs) but by the fact that the Matterhorn lap bar does not latch, and thus the ride doesn't go backwards. Or at least it's not supposed to. [:)]

I haven't ridden the Reverchon version. Conklin has one, and it's easy to spot because of the pneumatic tires ahead of and behind the sweeps.

I suggest that these rides are only distant relatives of the Caterpillar. The Caterpillar has rigid cars mounted between the sweeps, with a track at the end of the sweep. The Caterpillar evolved into the Musik Express/Himalaya, and in fact there are some Himalaya models out there that have covers on them. The SDC model that Pugh had, for instance, has, or had, a cover. I think that one operated at LeSourdsville Lake albeit without its cover.

The Flying Bobs-type rides are somewhat different in that the tubs are suspended from the sweeps, and the track is well inboard of the tubs...the tubs, then, are free to swing, and I suggest this...and the resulting absence of lateral force...makes these rides effectively very different from the Caterpillar/Himalaya series.

Of course, the biggest difference between the Caterpillar and the Himalaya is that the Caterpillar uses a cable-drive while the Himalaya has electric motors on the sweeps that friction-drive on the track. But then, a Tilt-A-Whirl is still a Tilt-A-Whirl whether it has cable drive or electric drive; wouldn't the same apply to a Caterpillar?

--Dave Althoff, Jr., not saying anything that most people here probably already know[;)]
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Sunday, November 30, 2003 1:21:19 PM
OK,thanks, I understand the swinging tubs vs. the rigid cars. But is there any difference between a park model and a portable model on the Bobs rides?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 30, 2003 1:33:05 PM
Reithoffers Raupen Bahn had a catterpiller type cover back in the early 90's. Don't know if it still has it. I did not see it when they got the ride originally in 1982. But I saw it being used in 91 or 92. Haven't seen the ride since it's been on the orange unit.

Bill P.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Sunday, November 30, 2003 1:42:47 PM
Conklin dont own a Reverchon Matterhorn, but rather the indepandent
micheal and billy lauther team own it and along with other pieces that travel with Conklin
BeauceCarnavalMan
Matthew
Sunday, November 30, 2003 2:23:48 PM
Oh the Mack Matterhorn does go backwards. Campbell Amusements has one and they operate it forwards and backwards. The bar does lock but at the pivot joint (there's a button on the joint to unlock the bar). The Mack Schlittenfahrt that toured with Conklin had those same lap bars and it ran backwards.

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by RideMan

The Mack Matterhorn (Cedar Point and Geauga Lake both have these...) is easy to distinguish from the Chance ride not only by the tub design (the Matterhorn has Jhle tubs) but by the fact that the Matterhorn lap bar does not latch, and thus the ride doesn't go backwards. Or at least it's not supposed to. [:)]

--Dave Althoff, Jr., not saying anything that most people here probably already know[;)]

punkboysa18
Sunday, November 30, 2003 5:25:17 PM
Woods Sleighride (Mack Matterhorn) cannot run backrwards. Mack designs only go backwards for loading or positioning.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, November 30, 2003 6:18:36 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by RideMan

I was just going to mention the Mack Matterhorn and Schlittenfährt, also the Reverchon Matterhorn...same sort of ride as the Flying Bobs, but different designs.

Wade Shows had a Mack Matterhorn for many years, the lap bars did not lock, and I recall riding it backwards many times. [;)]
引用:

quote:

The Caterpillar evolved into the Musik Express/Himalaya, and in fact there are some Himalaya models out there that have covers on them. The SDC model that Pugh had, for instance, has, or had, a cover. I think that one operated at LeSourdsville Lake albeit without its cover.

Pugh Shows' Musik Express was a Bertazzon. It did operate at the park in 2002, and now is owned by Mid America Shows. Last time I recall seeing the canopy used on it was in 2000. [:)]

According to the book A Pictorial History of the American Carnival by Joe McKennon, the forerunner to the modern "Flying Bobs" was actually a ride called the "Golden Chariot" that was built in the early 1900's. Only a handful were made and none exist today. It looked exactly like a bobs of today, with swinging tubs, sweeps from the centre out, hills and valleys, and a roof. The forerunner of today's Himalaya was the Ridee-O, and quite a few shows owned one back in the 1930's/1940's. [:)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
JustinJames
Monday, December 1, 2003 6:55:28 AM

The older Flying Bobs (Hercshell) and the Mack ones featured motor and track drive which made them capable of breaking speeds. The Chance ones are center driven with just a small track inside the center.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, December 1, 2003 8:27:11 AM
The first Flying Bobs was built by Hollingsworth Mfg, yes that is right, the company that built dark rides and funhouses for years. That is why the Flying BObs, both Hershell and Chance use Hollingworth style tubs on their rides. that is also why a Hershell center and tub trailer were built by General Trailers out of Dothan AL, because that is the company that Hollingsworth used. Hope this is slightly helpful. Hollingsworth also built one of the first Rigid himalayas in the states called the Artic Flyer. They were the first American Company to produce such rides, I think, I am not sure if a AH Catterpillar came first, but it wasnt really the same as a modern Himalaya, these Hollingsworth rides were.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.