BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:26:53 PM
oh boy, out of it for nine years. that is a life time. the industry is moved far from that time.
going back to bucks post. any body got anything hot out there to report? my opinion the current washington group are putting down the workers here with there wage law. pay h2b workers more than min. wage. what a kick in the junk. i would say the supreme court should knock it down. then again health care has also been rule against.
what the ????
geewizz66
Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:35:52 PM
Originally Posted by: BUB 

oh boy, out of it for nine years. that is a life time. the industry is moved far from that time.
going back to bucks post. any body got anything hot out there to report? my opinion the current washington group are putting down the workers here with there wage law. pay h2b workers more than min. wage. what a kick in the junk. i would say the supreme court should knock it down. then again health care has also been rule against.

That's not our Super Loops and Kamikazi on usedrides.com. Divorce, blowing spots, unpaid billzzzzzzzz, guess the move to Texas wasn't that shmart??!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, now I AM being an ass but it's all true! [crap-fan] lol

Geewizz66
Skywheelrider
Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:34:46 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Uh, I think it's WHEN "...the current administration is reelected."

If the voters in this country are smart, they will NOT re-elect the current administration. And I think they are much smarter than they were in 2008 when many allowed the wool to be pulled over their eyes.

Originally Posted by: geewizz66 

The child was 5 or 6, we are a smaller show and don't have facilities to take care of a small child. We have all single man bunkrooms and I'm not going to go out and buy someone that I don't even know a house trailer. Sorry. Ex-felons?? Like I said, you don't have a clue. We work 12 or 13 Catholic Churches and over 10 schools and most municipalites now want employee lists and THEY PERFORM BACKGROUND CHECKS. We are under tremendous scrutiny and I'm not interested in dealing with all of that crap. The days have having to hold the hands of help and beg them to show up the day after payday and for them not to screw with whatever lot lizzard shows them a little action and not to party the night before tear down so that they are clear headed and can focus are over for me. I've never had a worker that was screwed up on whatever drug/alcohol just hurt him or herself.

My company is for sale. Step up and then you can show me and 50 or 60 other show owners and independent operators how it's done!

I would much rather use Americans, I truly would but they are very few and far between. So rather than take the 10 good workers that I have and force them to deal with the typical types of workers that we do get here and run those good people into the ground because lets face it, the show must go on, I choose not to. Damned me if you must.

Calling you an "armchair quarterback,"?? hmmmmmm or should I just call you a pontificator??!! Theorizing is a beautiful thing when you don't have to live it and try to make it work!

I do appreciate your comments and isn't it wonderful to live in a free society?! - for now anyway that is. No one would believe where our Country is now back in 2008, I shudder to imagine what it would be like if the current administration is reelected.

Well said. I am not show owner, but I have seen things from a perspective that most ride/joint/food help does not, by working in the office. We never really had to worry about the amigos blowing, it was the Americans that always came up to the office and said "I need to go because [fill in the blank]," or would just blow the day after payday, or just before teardown with a hard jump coming up. And you HAVE to do background checks anymore, HAVE to. Sex offenders are an absolute NO WAY, it may be a case of 'he was 19, she was 16,' and that's it, but sex offender is a sex offender in the eyes of the public. Do you really want someone working for you in this business that has a criminal record for theft, or robbery, or assault, or all three? You have to be very careful who you hire....

The child thing, we had a guy show up two seasons ago in an RV, wife, teen step daughter, and an infant, as well as a couple of cats. He parks his RV and gets hired by the show, his family can stay since he has his own RV; he is told at the next spot he has to pay trailer rent (nothing excessive, but something); the following week the rent was taken out of his pay, and suddenly, as we were leaving that spot his RV 'breaks down' and we were supposed to find room in the bunks for all of them. Really?

As for the current administration in Washington, you see, it's like this....you're the United States, in a barrel, on the brink of going over Niagara Falls; there is a group trying to rescue you (Republicans/conservatives), while another group (Dems/liberals/Obama) are hollering "It's only water! You'll be fine!" and they try and push you over; if the current administration is re-elected, you will go over the brink....

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bowler Roller
Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:18:46 PM
Quote:

And you HAVE to do background checks anymore

That's one of the problems. Americans who are willing to work on the road aren't allowed to. Many of us can't pass back ground checks or drug tests. The carnival used to be a place a person could get a second chance. Now that's not allowed, and many of us can no longer work, despite being hard workers, and absolutely no threat to anyone.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
geewizz66
Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:22:36 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

That's one of the problems. Americans who are willing to work on the road aren't allowed to. Many of us can't pass back ground checks or drug tests. The carnival used to be a place a person could get a second chance. Now that's not allowed, and many of us can no longer work, despite being hard workers, and absolutely no threat to anyone.

Why can't you pass a drug test?? You can get your record expunged and there are advocacy groups that can help with that. Second chance?? The carnival used to be a place where people could just disappear and fly under the radar. I've always said that the carnival business is like the military or prison. We are litterally a rolling town, the problem is that we are under more scrutiny than a local business. I used to fight the whole background check deal. I'd ask the Town Clerk or City Manager if they asked NAPA Auto or Burger King to hold their employees to the same standard. They would always answer, "but your bringing these people into our towns." They are right but I still don't think that it's fair. You've got to fight the fights that are worth fighting, it's just not one of them anymore. We've all gone to bat for one of those who want to change their lives, the problem is that some people want but can't or give up and fall backwards. I meant it when I said that I truly would rather hire Americans, it would save me a ton of money in the long run but they are not out there like they used to be.

Working at a carnival is tough, it's not an easy way of life but does that mean that we should just shutter the doors and do something else?? Those of us who have invested everything are kind of stuck. We either evolve with the times or park the equipment because there sure isn't a market for used rides, games and food concessions right now.

Passing a drug test shouldn't be that hard of a task. If you've got some debilitating disease that forces you to have to take drugs to get through your day, the carnival is no place for you. Know your limitations.

More importantly everytime that we do hire a person and they turn us around it makes us all the more cautious the next time a "good guy" comes along.

Geewizz66
BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:58:53 PM
geewizz what the hell type of post was that????texas, super loops and all the rest please explain?
what the ????
Bowler Roller
Friday, December 9, 2011 12:17:21 AM
Quote:

Why can't you pass a drug test??

Because I smoke pot after work, and I'm not going to quit for a job. I passed the tests I took for my CDL, but only because the tests are very inaccurate. The only test I've failed was after more than 30 days without it. But most importantly, because I object to both checks. I do well enough working for myself. You fought it and lost, so you changed. I fought it and lost, so I changed too.

Of course, I'm not blaming you for the checks or for hiring H2Bs. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and so do I.
ringmaster
  •  ringmaster
  • 70.14% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, December 9, 2011 12:34:05 AM

That's sad.
Skywheelrider
Friday, December 9, 2011 12:52:54 AM

Two seasons ago, right before we left WQ to head out for the season, one of the drivers for the show said he had a friend in Florida who was looking for a job and willing to come up here to work, and that he (the driver) would pay for the bus ticket. He claimed someone told him it was okay, and got the guy up here. Well, I ran a background check on the guy, and it was three or four pages long. Theft, embezzlement, bad checks, but no drugs, assault(s), or anything that would have put him on the sex offender list. Well, I had to bring it to the owners attention, and the answer at first was no way, send him home. But the guy pleaded and said 'look, I have been out of jail for three years, haven't been convicted of anything in almost five years, I have turned my life around, all I ask is for a chance.' So, he was given one. Turned out to be a great guy, set up and tore down and ran rides, did carpentry work on the bunkhouses and other repairs, made sure the water was hooked up for the show each week and picked up each week after teardown, was friendly, always willing to give a helping hand. Everyone was glad he was allowed to stay.

THEN, it happened. One day he disappeared, for two days. So did his driver buddy. When they showed back up, the driver said he had went to a friends house and his kidney stones acted up, so he stayed, and second chance guy stayed with him. We thought something was up, but even with a drug test we could not prove it. A month later, same thing happened, and this time, they admitted it....they were off doing crack. We were like WTF? We give the guy a second (and really, even a third) chance to work and keep his life on track, and this is what he does? Needless to say, he was let go. You just can't have guys doing that stuff. Who knows if maybe they do it right before the show opens then go operate a ride, or drive a load. You can't have those folks around, even if, as the case was with this guy, they are nice, friendly, and hard working. A shame, really.

We had another guy come up and want to work, get hired, clean background check, passes a drug test, everything looks good, then he says, "I can be paid off the books, right? I am on disability for my back, and can't make over a certain amount each month or they cut off my disability." WTF? You're on disability for a bad back, and you want to work at a carnival? Either you're a fool, stupid, or you lied and got doctors to lie to get disability. He was told 'no, you're on the books, taxes, SS, all of that.' So he said no thanks and left. Really?

We have had guys come up to the office saying they were looking for work, and when asked questions, say 'look, I don't really want the job, but I have to show I am looking for work. Can I fill out an application or get a note of some sort showing I was here looking for a job?' Again, really?

It's like for every two or three good American workers we got, that worked hard, did what was asked of them, didn't cause trouble, and valued their job, there were nine or ten others that were just the opposite.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
ridejocky
Friday, December 9, 2011 2:29:42 AM
Originally Posted by: Skywheelrider 

If the voters in this country are smart, they will NOT re-elect the current administration. And I think they are much smarter than they were in 2008 when many allowed the wool to be pulled over their eyes.

LOL! I got twenty..........

Ride the Zipper?
Bowler Roller
Friday, December 9, 2011 11:38:53 AM

Two seasons ago, right before we left WQ to head out for the season, one of the drivers for the show said he had a friend in Florida who was looking for a job and willing to come up here to work, and that he (the driver) would pay for the bus ticket. He claimed someone told him it was okay, and got the guy up here. Well, I ran a background check on the guy, and it was three or four pages long. Theft, embezzlement, bad checks, but no drugs, assault(s), or anything that would have put him on the sex offender list. Well, I had to bring it to the owners attention, and the answer at first was no way, send him home. But the guy pleaded and said 'look, I have been out of jail for three years, haven't been convicted of anything in almost five years, I have turned my life around, all I ask is for a chance.' So, he was given one. Turned out to be a great guy, set up and tore down and ran rides, did carpentry work on the bunkhouses and other repairs, made sure the water was hooked up for the show each week and picked up each week after teardown, was friendly, always willing to give a helping hand. Everyone was glad he was allowed to stay.

THEN, it happened. One day he disappeared, for two days. So did his driver buddy. When they showed back up, the driver said he had went to a friends house and his kidney stones acted up, so he stayed, and second chance guy stayed with him. We thought something was up, but even with a drug test we could not prove it. A month later, same thing happened, and this time, they admitted it....they were off doing crack. We were like WTF? We give the guy a second (and really, even a third) chance to work and keep his life on track, and this is what he does? Needless to say, he was let go. You just can't have guys doing that stuff. Who knows if maybe they do it right before the show opens then go operate a ride, or drive a load. You can't have those folks around, even if, as the case was with this guy, they are nice, friendly, and hard working. A shame, really.

We had another guy come up and want to work, get hired, clean background check, passes a drug test, everything looks good, then he says, "I can be paid off the books, right? I am on disability for my back, and can't make over a certain amount each month or they cut off my disability." WTF? You're on disability for a bad back, and you want to work at a carnival? Either you're a fool, stupid, or you lied and got doctors to lie to get disability. He was told 'no, you're on the books, taxes, SS, all of that.' So he said no thanks and left. Really?

We have had guys come up to the office saying they were looking for work, and when asked questions, say 'look, I don't really want the job, but I have to show I am looking for work. Can I fill out an application or get a note of some sort showing I was here looking for a job?' Again, really?

It's like for every two or three good American workers we got, that worked hard, did what was asked of them, didn't cause trouble, and valued their job, there were nine or ten others that were just the opposite.

Surprise surprise, the background and drug tests did you absolutely no good. I'm curious, do background checks check databases in Mexico or other foreign countries?

geewizz66
Friday, December 9, 2011 11:02:11 PM
Quote:

Surprise surprise, the background and drug tests did you absolutely no good. I'm curious, do background checks check databases in Mexico or other foreign countries?

The Agency that we use has a counter part in Mexico and they run whatever checks they can run down there. The applicants are screened there and when they apply for their Visas by Homeland Security and the Dept of Labor. We drug test them the minute they show up and then randomly throughout the season or if we see a need to do so. Over the past six or seven years we've had a few stinkers. We send them back and reup in a couple of days.

As far as claiming that the drug tests and background checks did Skywheelrider no good. We still have to perform them to appease the committees and municipalities that allow us to have the carnival. WE HAVE NO CHOICE. Now, if for some reason the information is not accurate, we still have proof that we did our very best. Put yourself in a customers shoes. You have YOUR child at the carnival and the ride operator touches him/her in appropriately. Are you going to be more upset that the company didn't bother to even check this person's background before hiring them? I wouldn't be able to look a parent in the face if we didn't at least try to protect their children from child pretators. Not to mention that my children are on the road in the Summer time!

Geewizz66
Bowler Roller
Friday, December 9, 2011 11:16:44 PM
I know you have no choice. I'm not faulting you. I'm faulting people who cause public hysteria,and use it to erode our rights while failing to give us the promised security.

I'm not the kind of person who blames a group of people for the actions of an individual. It's wrong to hold all black people guilty for the actions of one thug, and it's wrong to blame a company for the actions of a single employee. However, I understand that I am in the minority. It's much more profitable to blame the deepest pockets.
Benjibear
Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:16:18 AM

Voter's are pretty stupid. Look what they did in 2004 and the last 10 years.

As for the current administration in Washington, you see, it's like this....you're the United States, in a barrel, on the brink of going over Niagara Falls; there is a group trying to rescue you (Republicans/conservatives), while another group (Dems/liberals/Obama) are hollering "It's only water! You'll be fine!" and they try and push you over; if the current administration is re-elected, you will go over the brink....

I think more of it as a boat with the Republicans on the right side and the Democrats on the left side both paddling like crazy. However, because they are not working together, the boat just sits in the water spinning in circles as it gets closer to the edge. Maybe if they just worked together and try paddling upstream, they could start fixing the issues.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
geewizz66
Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:09:20 PM
Quote:

I think more of it as a boat with the Republicans on the right side and the Democrats on the left side both paddling like crazy. However, because they are not working together, the boat just sits in the water spinning in circles as it gets closer to the edge. Maybe if they just worked together and try paddling upstream, they could start fixing the issues.

Let's face it, there is NO MONEY in working together. The whole system sucks and I've never met a broke politician unless he/she is in jail! EVEN THEN! - when they do get out of jail/prison, they still have a stash somewhere.

Things will only change when we set term limits for all elected positions. I don't really think that our forefathers imagined that a senator, for instance, would hold office for 20+ years! BOTH SIDES are guilty.
I personally feel that 2 years for a Congressman is a joke as well. They spend more time fundraising and trying to get reelected than they do really trying to "make a difference".
Geewizz66