42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:50:40 PM
Originally Posted by: massachusettsman 

no offense to you rhino but i think this is a perfect example of why theres less posters here now
Jagger asked a question that kinda was off topic but it wasnt a real stupid question and you lashed out at him

Good God man, watch the skin! You might hurt some tender feelings.
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
massachusettsman
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:56:01 PM
im not out pointing fingers or anything at anybody in fact i think rhino is one of the best posters on here i just thought it was a good example. But i think its a combination of people having to little patience and people being to sensitive.
IndianaTED
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:38:56 PM
Yep, just reading this thread pretty much explains why posts are down.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:08:54 PM
The life of this board depends on the people who visit here and post. anyone can sit behind a keyboard and praise or redicule a show or people when there is no chance of personal contact or known names. I have been around here for some time and tried to be civil in my posts. Without this board I would not have had the opportunity to expand my knowledge of rides and the carnival business as well as making lots of new contacts and friends. Posters have come and gone, some good-some bad, but we have to remember to play by the rules here. There is no charge and lots of Matt's website customers visit this site. He cannot afford to allow carnival/fair discussions to get out of hand and offend a potential or existing website customer.
There are some of you who have a low tolerance for the fans and some of their questions. I know there are 2 posters from my state who love the industry and spend their money with the industry but get treated unfairly here sometimes. Education and tolerance is the key here. Discussions on political matters will never be solved as there will always be differences in opinions but again tolerance between the different sides is needed.
Matt and crew do a good job here and I appreciate what they do, even the MCW editor posting news articles. There is no longer the AB and with facebook, twitter and other social networking news today travels fast. I do not do facebook yet as you have to wade thru all the nonsense in posting there but people use their real names there. Maybe that is what needs to happen here. JMO.
squirrel
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:04:46 AM
The real names would definitely make things interesting. The downside would be those who try to claim they are someone else and we would have to sift through all that -- but the concept is for sure something to think about --
Soda Guy
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:32:54 AM

Britt It is easy to agree with most of your post. Matt's does a great job, and really is the benchmark for getting news about the carnival industry. Here are a few things that I would like to see, but if it doesn't happen at leat I had the opportunity to give my side.

One thing is I would love to see the post counts go away. The main reason is when someone new comes on here (and I have talked to a couple of new committee people that found this site on their own) and they actually started to quote someone who had an extremely high post count. They (being newbies) thought the high post count equated to being an expert in the business. I had to explain that nobody knows the whole business but there are a few that are close. Pinetar (RIP), Flamo, Pizza God, Rhino, Sausageseller among others have been around long enough to have seen and moved many different kinds of equipment.

Here is what I think the big rub is between fan and "with it". Almost all show owners and folks "with it" think (as I do) that 95% of the fans are great, it just the few that really start questioning paint, # of rides at a spot, things like that when they couldn't even back a trailer in an empty parking lot should tone it down a bit. Being "with it" and being around when you could make your own stretch bottles (see I am telling how old I am) my first response to someone who is spouting off about something they don't know about is to shut them up fast. Why, well why put mis-information out there. Some of you might remember when a fan who really knows the business told me on these boards that "RIDE GROSS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF EQUIPMENT A SHOW BRINGS TO A SPOT" I mean really, if I could have figured out how to slap that person I would have. I really think that fans forget at times that this is a business, the livelyhood of many people. Fans like the carnival business for their own reasons, folks that are "with it" this is their way of supporting their family. I have stated before when a fan really starts ripping a show, post where you work and let some of the people that are "with it" come down and see what you do then they can come on here and trash you.

Now folks that are "with it" don't make it easy on themselves either. Folks the days of old canvas, swingers, count em up are over. Yes you can still find these every once in awhile but not like the 70's and 80's. Let's just leave it, remember the huge scores and learn to play by the new rules.

As for the business changing, you aren't kidding. Many changes are great, safety, care of help, shape of equipment. . .are good things, no AB, different color canvas, hop scotching your route, independant ridew owners are things that are really going away, if they haven't already. The one big thing I have noticed over the last ten years is this, many years ago you always heard about this game operator, this foodie over a few beers and some serious jackpottting decide to buy some rides and start a show so they can lay their equipment down. Now most of these operations only lasted 5 to 7 years or so but were good winter fodder for Gibtown. Remember this was when only the AB was the news, gossip was what was heard from the traveling stock salesman, long distance phone calls cost a dollar a minute so information was slow getting around.

As for new posts, well look at the food side. How many years do people want to read the candy apple vs caramel apple thread. As for new items, well if you have one, you sure as heck aren't going to come on here and talk about it, you will ride your novelty item for the two years or so before every other joint is selling it.

And yes thin skinned is the rule here. Not knocking Matt, but a few of the high posters really don't like to be questioned. Shoot I took my lumps when I first started and thought it was funny. But then again the football coaches I played for believed they were allowed to hit you grab your facemask and call you anything out of the long shoremans dictionary. So I didn't have a problem with the light hazing. Shoot a few years ago, when I PM'd a few of the model builders to tell them I really like their work I put in the subject line "YOU SUCK". That was the humor/shock factor. When they read the text it said I was amazed at their talent and people with talentlike that suck. See I couldn't build a model like that in 50 years. You know what? Every one of the people I pm'd sent me a response laughing and thanking me for the compliment. Many of those folks I still am in contact with. But today, I wouldn't do that, I might get turned in to the post police.

Well I will get off my soapbox and if I could ask one thing. If you are a true fan, you already get it. If you are a wannabee, I will set up a course for you to back a trailer around to see if you are really with it.

Dan
Soda Guy
squirrel
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:39:04 AM
I turned off the display of the post counts in most of the common areas -- just to see what will (if anything) happen --

They're still stored in the user record and posts are still being counted -- they're just not displayed in as many places anymore --
godsonsafari
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:42:38 AM
Someone noted facebook earlier: I'm sure that's part of it. Plus, with facebook, you're dealing with people's direct personal profiles. That's a big difference too. But another aspect is that this place has, at times, felt combative. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but my experiences reading the forum is that Pinetar made his presence known in threads that really had no reason for such aggression. He's not the only person necessarily, but from my perspective reading more frequently over the last 12-18 months as a lurker and occasional poster, he's the one that to me was most memorable.
mikecroaro
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:01:11 PM
Greetings:

I like the idea of real names.

The other webiste I frequent, film-tech.com (forum for movie theatre owners, managers, projectionists, etc) requires this. The owner of THAT site beleives it promotes civility, and I agree.

People are less likely to bash when there is no anomymity.

Mike
Benjibear
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:03:03 PM
I don't care about the post counts. The real name thing would bother me.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
skywheel88
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:58:53 PM
I used to post alot and I still come here and read almost everyday. I also used to have issues with some members on here, I don't anymore because I don't take anything personally on here anymore, it's just a message board on the internet, afterall. As for trip reports and such, it's pointless for me to post reports and pics of our Exhibition when it's the same midway and same lot layout year after year after year, even I can't see a difference in my photo albums anymore, if I did have something for you all I would post it. I do appreciate all the reports and photos everyone else posts and I hope that you all keep sharing, why stop because of rude replies? Stay on, alot of the old knockers are long gone and we're all still here and who the h*ll are they anyway..?, other than legends in their own minds.
Kenny.

Skywheelrider
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:58:14 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

I don't care about the post counts. The real name thing would bother me.

It's usually not hard to find out who the real name of the person behind a username is anyway.

And Godsonsafari, I am with you on your post 100%. There were times he, and a few others, would make demeaning or combative comments for no reason, and that drives folks away, too, they just don't want to put up with the bull****, it's got nothing to do with being thick or thin skinned.

I always enjoy reading trip reports. I used to do them all the time before I actually went out on the road, then it became less and less and less, as I don't get time to visit a lot of other shows (that and I see it from the other side of the coin, too).

Anyone remember the trip Ryan V. and I took in 2004, one week, I think that trip report I posted was a mile long. LOL

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Pizzagod
Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:35:10 PM
Okay-why I don't post as much as I used to, by Paul Paron aka Pizzagod.

As much as the powers that be try to maintain order here, there are still bullies and trolls that pop up. I've shown my backside more than a few times, and made it a point to apologize publicly to anybody I've wronged. In spite of this, you can't offer an opinion a lot of times without having to defend it against the weakest of arguments.

A few weeks ago somebody was talking about the rent on the midway in Raleigh. Once you get enough responses, somebody is going to take offense to something, or maybe anybody who complains is automatically branded a crybaby or knocker.

Um...am I the only one who understands private messages?

That thread got long-and a lot of it was "You stink" "Oh yeah?" "Yeah" "Well so do you!" "I'll kick your butt" "Oh yeah?" "Yeah!" etc. etc.

Who wants to be part of that?

Secondly-the people who are deep into the business always get the fans asking questions-and yeah, after 1000 times it gets a bit old (why is there no carnival FAQ?). It's a business, it can be fun but it IS work, we don't make oodles of money all the time, and we are on one of societies lowest rungs. Think it's not depressing to go through that rigamarole on a regular basis?

Finally-I tend to draw a fair share of controversy. I am opinionated and if I leave out a comma it changes the whole content of a post, and then feelings are hurt and then somebody says something and before you know it a post on a Merry Mixer turns into Is Ed Gregory still alive, and Milt Kaufman-Rabbi or Rabid?

This is a great place for news, but as far as the rest of the nonsense and racket go, who's got the energy?
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
razduck
Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:35:11 PM
too many suckers in biz. ruining the old school ways and codes.
no honor,mostly druggies and rats.not to mention all the kooks robbing women and children in games.
shame on the show owners for allowing it.

Bowler Roller
Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:30:30 PM
And you really think that's affected the numbers of posts on this board?
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum