flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:16:15 AM
The industry it self has changed and with it the people. The board has also changed. Facebook may have drawn some away but many of the 'old timers' have just lost interest. As for me, many of the topics do rate a reply or are just rehashes of old topics. And then there are the lurkers, I know of several. It also seems no one shares much any more from WQ projects to other improvements. In fact there was little about major fairs like TX this year. I don't have the answers, may it is just the sign of the times.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
cny_chris
Monday, November 14, 2011 6:13:32 PM
I, too, have noticed the lack of posts and topics on the boards. Used to be that you could guarantee there would be 25-30 new topics a day on MCW in the main forum alone, when it was the off season. And in talking to others in the business (some secondhand, through others), the dropoff has been noticed by many. I've heard the words 'dead', 'has-been', 'shadow of it's former self', and 'hostile' used to describe the board.

While I believe that Facebook has pulled some of the discussion away from the forums, quite honestly, IMHO there have been some obnoxious personalities here who I think have helped chase a lot of folks off. I can understand that some of the posts are rather annoying, but there is nothing that says you have to reply to any topic, or a nice 'knock it off with the real stupid questions' type of reply would send a message. I've seen stuff here that goes waaay beyond that... and that sends a message to that person and others that the board isn't a friendly place. And let's face it, a forum only works when it's a friendly place to exchange information, ideas, etc. Certainly the anti-fan sentiment that some have doesn't help either.

But enough dwelling on the past. Now I'll issue the challenge, something I discussed with Matt a while back (and I've been remiss in posting, thank you to Scott for posting this topic to get things jump started):

For those who NO LONGER actively post here, WHY do you no longer post (and how long has it been since you last posted)? What needs to change at MCW? What shouldn't change? What does MCW need to do to get your participation back?

For those who are still actively posting, what do you think needs to change? And what needs to remain the same?

Some feedback is what I think is needed at this point to get MCW back to where it was. I know I (and others) are interested in getting some insight into the issue. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, November 14, 2011 7:28:51 PM
Originally Posted by: cny_chris 

I, too, have noticed the lack of posts and topics on the boards. Used to be that you could guarantee there would be 25-30 new topics a day on MCW in the main forum alone, when it was the off season. And in talking to others in the business (some secondhand, through others), the dropoff has been noticed by many. I've heard the words 'dead', 'has-been', 'shadow of it's former self', and 'hostile' used to describe the board.

While I believe that Facebook has pulled some of the discussion away from the forums, quite honestly, IMHO there have been some obnoxious personalities here who I think have helped chase a lot of folks off. I can understand that some of the posts are rather annoying, but there is nothing that says you have to reply to any topic, or a nice 'knock it off with the real stupid questions' type of reply would send a message. I've seen stuff here that goes waaay beyond that... and that sends a message to that person and others that the board isn't a friendly place. And let's face it, a forum only works when it's a friendly place to exchange information, ideas, etc. Certainly the anti-fan sentiment that some have doesn't help either.

But enough dwelling on the past. Now I'll issue the challenge, something I discussed with Matt a while back (and I've been remiss in posting, thank you to Scott for posting this topic to get things jump started):

For those who NO LONGER actively post here, WHY do you no longer post (and how long has it been since you last posted)? What needs to change at MCW? What shouldn't change? What does MCW need to do to get your participation back?

For those who are still actively posting, what do you think needs to change? And what needs to remain the same?

Some feedback is what I think is needed at this point to get MCW back to where it was. I know I (and others) are interested in getting some insight into the issue. Thank you in advance for your feedback.



Well said Chris.
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, November 14, 2011 8:06:58 PM
and tilt charles this is why I don;t post here any more !! all the show bashing that goes on ... I got sick of it. I have all my STRATES SHOWS friends and a few other carnival ppl there at least we can have a normal conversation . facebook is right on all my pictures from the past are posted there with out someone posting a stupid remark. I come here once a month to check in... unfortunally hearing about Pinetar tore me up and it will be a long while before I come back here...
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, November 14, 2011 8:37:00 PM
Originally Posted by: back40 

and tilt charles this is why I don;t post here any more !! all the show bashing that goes on ... I got sick of it. I have all my STRATES SHOWS friends and a few other carnival ppl there at least we can have a normal conversation . facebook is right on all my pictures from the past are posted there with out someone posting a stupid remark. I come here once a month to check in... unfortunally hearing about Pinetar tore me up and it will be a long while before I come back here...




What is a link to your pictures?
dccradio
Monday, November 14, 2011 8:57:21 PM
I credit MCW for helping me make a number of friends in the industry when I first came to Wisconsin. For me, I miss the ride pictures the most. When I first started coming, there were lots of ride pictures from all over the world. Seemed like every time I logged on there would be trip reports with lots of pictures from the events.

I also enjoyed how people who are with it used to embrace (or at least tolerate) the fan and answer questions, even stupid questions. In my opinion the questions asked today aren't that much worse than what was asked a few years ago. Just seems now like the responses are more harsh and rude. So much so that I am even afraid to post here. I wanted to post more trip reports and pictures of my own this year but was afraid of harsh criticism due to all the remarks regarding other fans on the board.

In my opinion, we need to think about what we are saying before we hit enter allowing the comments we post to go public. Try to hold back on the harsh comments and try to be more to the point but not harmful/hurtful even if the original post is stupid in our mind. I think one can speak their mind even when disagreeing with a topic, and still not hurt the feelings of the one who posted. Again, this is just my opinion.

When I was a newbie on the board, Pinetar and a couple other members politely sent me a PM to tone it down. Not a public bashing like some of the fans get now. They were polite, gentle and yet still got their point across. Now, I personally feel like fans are not welcome at all on the site. Thus why my posts have decreased significantly.
Mark H
IndianaTED
Monday, November 14, 2011 9:44:12 PM
Originally Posted by: dccradio 

I credit MCW for helping me make a number of friends in the industry when I first came to Wisconsin. For me, I miss the ride pictures the most. When I first started coming, there were lots of ride pictures from all over the world. Seemed like every time I logged on there would be trip reports with lots of pictures from the events.

I also enjoyed how people who are with it used to embrace (or at least tolerate) the fan and answer questions, even stupid questions. In my opinion the questions asked today aren't that much worse than what was asked a few years ago. Just seems now like the responses are more harsh and rude. So much so that I am even afraid to post here. I wanted to post more trip reports and pictures of my own this year but was afraid of harsh criticism due to all the remarks regarding other fans on the board.

In my opinion, we need to think about what we are saying before we hit enter allowing the comments we post to go public. Try to hold back on the harsh comments and try to be more to the point but not harmful/hurtful even if the original post is stupid in our mind. I think one can speak their mind even when disagreeing with a topic, and still not hurt the feelings of the one who posted. Again, this is just my opinion.


When I was a newbie on the board, Pinetar and a couple other members politely sent me a PM to tone it down. Not a public bashing like some of the fans get now. They were polite, gentle and yet still got their point across. Now, I personally feel like fans are not welcome at all on the site. Thus why my posts have decreased significantly.





While I have not contributed pics like you have Mark, I agree whole-heartedly with your remarks.

I used to be very active on here. I've had my battles, I stopped posting for more than six months at one time, then started again. But when I started back, it was less often and much more reserved.

I'm guessing there are others who have had similar experiences as I have.

...and as I've said before, in spite of the things that we all have to put up with from time to time, this is still my favorite site on the www.

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Benjibear
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:42:11 AM
I miss discussion talking about history and looking at older photos. I liked the discussions about older rides.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:49:12 AM
It's obvious we are the 1%, we need to start protesting the 99% to come back and get involved. 🙂
chief
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:00:24 AM
We could set up camp. !!!!! :)

"the party in hell has been canceled, do to the fire"
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:12:28 AM
I read the post by "want to be a cowgirl baby" last night, and I am thinking it is the personal attacks on others that is killing this board. I was pleased to see that the post was deleted when I logged on this morning. The old saying "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" still applies in today's society.

squirrel
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:44:32 PM
Originally Posted by: Dan L. 

I read the post by "want to be a cowgirl baby" last night, and I am thinking it is the personal attacks on others that is killing this board. I was pleased to see that the post was deleted when I logged on this morning. The old saying "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" still applies in today's society.



I'm the one that killed the post. It was way out of line. And it's not the first time...

Hippie Bill
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:43:52 PM
I check in pretty regularly, but I don't post much anymore.

I feel like if I don't have anything to add, then I just check the news, and screw.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:41:59 PM
It's quite simple really. The skin has become way too thin around here.
All of my alias are dieing off too.
All that's left are the jointies and the mooches.
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
massachusettsman
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:46:07 PM
Originally Posted by: rhino 

Who cares? What differance does it make? How does this pertain to the topic?\


no offense to you rhino but i think this is a perfect example of why theres less posters here now
Jagger asked a question that kinda was off topic but it wasnt a real stupid question and you lashed out at him
Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic
  • OceanSpiders 2.0