Scott
  •  Scott
  • 86.98% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:15:44 PM
Spider sweeps come in Narrow and Wide. It's my understanding that the differance is that the narrow sweeps need to be X ray'd every season or so, the Wide do not.

Is their any other benifits or drawbacks to the two styles?
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:10:20 PM
http://good-times.websho...401128807072806917WlgUDw 
Picture of wide base.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
RideMan
Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:22:01 AM
For reference, the defining difference is at the base of the sweep, where the hinge attaches to the center. The "narrow base" sweep is 16" measuring from the end of the hinge pin across the sweep to the end of the hinge pin on the other side. The "wide base" sweep is 22" wide. That extra 6" will tell you beyond a reasonable doubt which sweep you're looking at, even if you don't recognize the other differences in the way all the gussets are welded on the sweep. Once you've looked closely, you can easily spot the difference from about 30' away.

I can't speak for the NDT requirements. An old bulletin actually states that a visual inspection of the sweep at a couple of key points is recommended "at each set-up or every seven days of operation". Again, I don't know the current requirements, but I understand that while the narrow sweeps are known for severe cracking, as of about fifteen years ago there had never been any cracking in the wide base sweeps.

I would consider "not known to crack" vs. "known to develop cracks" to be a distinct benefit, but that's just me. [8d]

Oh, and remember...my word on this is worth exactly what you paid me for it: I'm not claiming any expertise here.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
squirrel
Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:49:48 AM
I have bulletins outlining the NDT requirements here somewhere -- when things quiet down on my end I'll see about getting them uploaded to my servers --

To the best of my knowledge, any of the 'solid' or 'non-webbed' sweeps needed an NDT but I am not sure and could be wrong. I know the narrow ones require NDT. There are also NDT requirements on the oscillator (hook) at the top of the ride, as well as the tub frames. I also believe the welds on the draw-rods need to be NDT'd as well (but not 100% sure without checking my paperwork)...
RideMan
Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:39:45 PM
Squirrel, I think you're thinking of the Octopus; the Spider sweeps are all tubing. And I believe you're right...on the 'Pus, the webbed sweeps are OK, the square tubing ones aren't...and those are in two versions, one that requires NDT and one that requires replacement. Or something like that; I am less familiar with the Octopus.

The old inspection guide I have shows NDT points at the end of the support rod where the attachment eye is welded, and four points on each side of the eccentric crank. Tub frames are the four tubes under the seat in the Fiberglas tubs, where the glas covers the tubes...either the Fiberglas and Bondo has to be stripped off so the steel can be inspected, or the car has to be X-rayed and approved by the factory. So your memory matches my paperwork on all counts.

I know that ORI is in the process of converting all the old Eyerly manuals and bulletins to electronic format, so if you're in need of updated information, remember these Eyerly rides still have factory support!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:47:46 PM
I saw a set of Spider tubs opened for inspection. Very rusting and rusted through, probably from body salts.
UserPostedImage
squirrel
Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:02:11 AM
Originally Posted by: Pinetar 

I saw a set of Spider tubs opened for inspection. Very rusting and rusted through, probably from body salts.



Most of the rusting on those came from water being trapped next to the tubing from the fiberglass being right there. It's the same syndrome that most Wisdom rides suffer from where they wrap fiberglass around steel. If you peel the fiberglass away from the steel from almost any older Wisdom ride (Sizzler tubs or Gravitron/Starship panels) - you'll see it.
squirrel
Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:03:41 AM
Originally Posted by: RideMan 

Squirrel, I think you're thinking of the Octopus; the Spider sweeps are all tubing. And I believe you're right...on the 'Pus, the webbed sweeps are OK, the square tubing ones aren't...and those are in two versions, one that requires NDT and one that requires replacement. Or something like that; I am less familiar with the Octopus.

The old inspection guide I have shows NDT points at the end of the support rod where the attachment eye is welded, and four points on each side of the eccentric crank. Tub frames are the four tubes under the seat in the Fiberglas tubs, where the glas covers the tubes...either the Fiberglas and Bondo has to be stripped off so the steel can be inspected, or the car has to be X-rayed and approved by the factory. So your memory matches my paperwork on all counts.

I know that ORI is in the process of converting all the old Eyerly manuals and bulletins to electronic format, so if you're in need of updated information, remember these Eyerly rides still have factory support!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.



You're absolutely right on the Octopus NDTs -- and the sweep types -- the 'solid' (boxed tube) sweeps are bad news -- the webbed ones were ok -- I just couldn't remember if there were issues on the Spider sweeps - as I've heard issues of cracking on those as well - but not defined as to what style sweep for those.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:08:06 AM
Originally Posted by: secret.squirrel 

Most of the rusting on those came from water being trapped next to the tubing from the fiberglass being right there. It's the same syndrome that most Wisdom rides suffer from where they wrap fiberglass around steel. If you peel the fiberglass away from the steel from almost any older Wisdom ride (Sizzler tubs or Gravitron/Starship panels) - you'll see it.



I know what you mean. The Siz. apron metal hinge plate was a problem.
UserPostedImage
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 86.98% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:53:56 PM
When you guys say "Peal" the fiberglass away" or "strip" it away, are you meaning ruining the fiberglass, or does it rivet or bolt back on?
squirrel
Sunday, April 17, 2011 2:55:16 PM
Originally Posted by: Scott 

When you guys say "Peal" the fiberglass away" or "strip" it away, are you meaning ruining the fiberglass, or does it rivet or bolt back on?



That's one I cannot answer, unfortunately. To the best of my knowledge, the skin comes apart, but I don't know for sure. I know when we got ours, we had the option of buying a set of fiberglass seats and hunted down 3 sets of metal ones instead just because of the NDT issues and getting to the frames on the fiberglass seats.
Users browsing this topic
  • OceanSpiders 2.0