Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:14:30 PM
Here is project number 2 of the winter. Its a Cummons Sky Wheel that I am building. Don did some of the work on it and Im doing the rest. As someone else mentioned they never see Cummons stuff so bare so I figured Id snap some pics of it as I go to give a perspective of how much work really goes into them!

Its based pretty close on the famous Sky Wheels Farrow had in the 1990's. The boxes and trailers on the real ride were completely rebuilt and oversized boxes were installed. It was owned by Bluegrass Shows and now is owned by Dixieland and for sale (if I only had $60k lol).

The tiny rods for the wheel bracing and fluorescence lights were a complete bi**h to be honest. I dont know where Don gets his patients! Other than that I have it pretty much under control. Maybe get the trailers clean and in primer in the next week or so. Ive already got the new boxes built for the trailers, just didnt get them in the pics..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Skywheelrider
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:09:59 PM
That looks great so far Ted. Great detail. If I ever get a C ummons model, the Sky Wheel would be it. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:07:59 PM
That looks great Ted. I love those colors. The blue rim iron reminds me of the Spacewheels.

Farrow's wheel was the best looking Skywheel of all time IMHO. The Shupers did a fantastic job!

Keep posting pics of your progress.
Fabbri_Guy
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:48:11 PM
very cool to see one des assembled! Looks like alot of work. I wish i could refurbish a c ummons ride. Keep it up dude
Matt C.
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:24:22 PM
I like the blue rims!
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:07:05 AM
Very nice Ted. Makes me want to buy a Sky Wheel. The blue rims are really something different. Have fun stringing. I don't look forward to stringing my Zipper but its all good fun.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:07:42 PM
starting to look good, cant wait to see it when its fully done
BeauceCarnavalMan
AGS
  •  AGS
  • 55.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:03:29 PM
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, January 31, 2011 12:41:08 PM
Thanks guys, couple weeks off now im back on it. Here is a new pic of what I did with the solder gun last night. Tower supports that I added as an extra. Also I finished the base for it (stained trim and velvet). Maybe get the trailer in primer this week finally.

UserPostedImage

FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:02:25 AM
Originally Posted by: Ted 

Thanks guys, couple weeks off now im back on it. Here is a new pic of what I did with the solder gun last night. Tower supports that I added as an extra. Also I finished the base for it (stained trim and velvet). Maybe get the trailer in primer this week finally.

UserPostedImage

Looking solid Ted. I always say ooooh yeah, next week if all goes well I will prime but you always second guess on if the castings are clean before any paint. Then you prime and you face more sanding lol. Looks great man. Still going to Gibs?