jackpot59102
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:43:49 AM
Did anyone else see the season opening episode of American Pickers last night ??

Featured Sideshow Banners, a Mangels High Striker , Pinto Bros Fire Engine, Lusse Bumper Car, Bushkill Park.

A full one-third of the hourlong episode featured Bushkill Park, the old amusement park in Forks Township, NY that was dealt a knockout blow by Tropical Storm Ivan in 2004.

For pickers Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, he served as park tour guide, providing an introduction for them and a nostalgic walk down memory lane for anyone familiar with the old stomping ground.

Wolfe was blown away by what he found, specifically in some sideshow banners folded in one of the old buildings. The pickers paid $700 for the colorful but worn signs, which showed a monkey wrestling an anaconda, a fire-breathing man and a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Turns out it was a whooper of a deal. An appraiser in Manhattan placed the value of just one banner at $5,000 to $6,000.

The Banners were made by the O. Henry Tent & Awning Co. and appeared to be the work of sideshow sign artist Fred Johnson, a legend in his craft, the appraiser said.

Even before the appraisal, the pickers were thrilled with their find. They spoke breathlessly about the park and reverently for Fehnel's passion for it.
"These sideshow banners are amazing," Wolfe exclaimed. "I could not believe my eyes. I've seen stuff like this in books before, but I had never seen it in person."
Besides the unpolished gems found in the park, the pickers were enamored by the park's story -- a familiar one to folks in the Lehigh Valley.

As he led the crew into the funhouse, Fehnel described it as the oldest walk-through funhouse in the United States.

The episode offered glimpses of the old wooden slide inside, as well "The Whip," one of the old rides that delighted children for generations.

Opened in 1902, Bushkill Park prospered for decades before struggling in the latter part of the 20th century. By the 1980s, its heyday was gone. Fehnel purchased the place in 1990, when it still regularly hosted company picnics and kids' birthday parties.

Now a co-owner of the land, Fehnel and Sammy Baurkot still have visions of rebuilding and restoring the park to at least a piece of its former self. Flooding and financial difficulties have gotten in the way, though.

And it can only explain what happened next, in the show's kicker. The pickers returned to Bushkill Park after finding buyers for the banners. The pieces sold for a whopping $10,000 -- a $9,300 turnaround.

And Wolfe's and Fritz's consciences must have been tugging.

The show ended with the pickers returning to the banks of the Bushkill and splitting the haul with a surprised Fehnel. Fritz pulls a wad of bills from his pocket, $5,000 cash, and hands it to Fehnel, whose knees nearly buckle with the news.
"You guys are amazing," Fehnel says, embracing the two pickers. "People just don't do things like that. It never happens to me."
cny_chris
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:57:12 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by jackpot59102

A full one-third of the hourlong episode featured Bushkill Park, the old amusement park in Forks Township, NY that was dealt a knockout blow by Tropical Storm Ivan in 2004.

Actually, the park is in PA.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:07:11 AM
Amazing what a couple of old banners will fetch these days.
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:11:23 AM
I happened to catch the show last night, and it was very cool. Not only what the got at Bushkill, but what they found in New York, too, from Coney Island. A shame what happened to Bushkill, I wish them all the luck in getting the park rebuilt and reopened.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
AGS
  •  AGS
  • 55.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:19:41 PM
I watched it last night - very interesting on the park info. I liked how "Mike" went nuts when he purchased the "No Smoking Sign" from the Fun House, just so he can say that he owns something from that Fun House. I also thought that it was funny when they were in Manhattan(driving around in circles - getting honked at, etc..) looking for the guy to tell them how much the Banners are worth. It was a good episode.
bdgaf
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:41:33 PM
i do not think they relize that mangels is not that rear he valude the fire engine at 750 i wonder if he realy resold for that much for that price i have i have quit a few for sale
this what we do.
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:54:52 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by bdgaf

i do not think they relize that mangels is not that rear he valude the fire engine at 750 i wonder if he realy resold for that much for that price i have i have quit a few for sale

Depends on who your selling to I would say. Same with the banners.

One Mans trash is another Mans treasure.
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
JustJeff
Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:01:27 AM
Am I the only one who is a bit sceptical about them giving him $5000 back? I mean anything is possible,but realistically it is not very wise business to give half of your profit just because he was a nice guy and they felt he was given some bad breaks by the floods and such..

Maybe it is just my cynical mind,I don't know.

Also I think that finding a $5000 buyer in that short a time was just a bit too convenient.Again,I guess it is possible,but I always keep in mind that first and foremost it is a T.V program...jeff
jackpot59102
Saturday, December 11, 2010 7:47:55 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by JustJeff

Am I the only one who is a bit sceptical about them giving him $5000 back? I mean anything is possible,but realistically it is not very wise business to give half of your profit just because he was a nice guy and they felt he was given some bad breaks by the floods and such..

Its called KARMA... Having a CONSCIENCE... & Making yourself look good to your audience (ratings)...
I'm sure all some people think about is how they profit from their expeditions & the people who sell goods to them lose out...
This was a chance for them to look good, after making such a huge profit off of the guy at Bushkill.
bdgaf
Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:07:48 AM
i wuold think that five thousand is just a drop in the bucket compared to the possible gained ratings and the income from the tv show
this what we do.
2ndgencarnie
Saturday, December 11, 2010 9:22:57 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by bdgaf

i wuold think that five thousand is just a drop in the bucket compared to the possible gained ratings and the income from the tv show

I would say 5 grand is just a drop in the bucket compared to what it's going to take to get that park back open...
circusguy
Saturday, December 11, 2010 9:33:10 AM
Monday night--Dec. 13th--American Pickers will feature Jon Cochran, from Greensburg, Pa. Many carnival items to be purchased by the Pickers, and an added feature will be the apperance of Danielle in a buying mood, and purchasing an item or two, herself.
JustJeff
Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:12:31 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by jackpot59102

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by JustJeff

Its called KARMA... Having a CONSCIENCE... & Making yourself look good to your audience (ratings)...
I'm sure all some people think about is how they profit from their expeditions & the people who sell goods to them lose out...
This was a chance for them to look good, after making such a huge profit off of the guy at Bushkill.

O.K. Thank you![:D]
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, December 13, 2010 1:12:34 AM
I seriously doubt that park will ever open. What wasn't flooded (numerous times) has been sold off, hasn't it?
It wasn't real well maintained before the floods. I visited in 2001 and only a handful of the 20 or so Lusse bumper cars was operating.
Very sad, it was a great park a long time ago. It is very old.
One of the best Whip rides ever.
CanobieFan
Monday, December 13, 2010 5:28:37 AM
Ive got some random photos of the place back in 2005 when I stopped by between park hopping around Dorney, Hershey, Dutch Wonderland, and Williams Grove.

http://www.coasterwiki.o...in/pics.cgi?dir=bushkill