Majestic Fan1982
Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:10:44 AM
Nice tip top for sale on ur.com

This is another ride that you rarely get to see. The only shows that i can remember having one in my state are a.e.b amusements which is out of business?? and goodtime amusements.
What other shows still own this ride in the states?
Flying Coaster
Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:18:16 AM
I miss hearing that ride on the midway.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
OldBob
Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:12:51 AM
There's a couple here in Michigan, but both normally are parked in winter quarters. Hard to move I guess?
squirrel
Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:31:31 AM
Depending on the model, they are terrible to move -- lots of double and triple handling... Unless you modify things or add a second trailer it's move this so you can move that so you can move this back so you can install that...

As for the rest of them -- there is the need for a high-volume compressor and cylinders, and there are other issues from what I've heard, like the tubs not really having much for restraints (AFIAK), and more... It's a good concept, but a bad design (especially on the early models)...
JIMMY
  •  JIMMY
  • 50.12% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:53:02 AM
A.E.B is still in business Aaron was booked in to the Showmans Carnival in sept. with their Wheel.They still move a Tip Top
very good condition saw it in July.

Jimmy Houghton
Houghton Enterprises
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:59:40 AM

My 1977 tiptop was easy to move. The earlier non-folding units were a disaster.
UserPostedImage
punkboysa18
Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:11:24 AM
Did anyone here ever get to personally handle the Holiday Bounce? That was my favorite ride as a kid. It was soooooo loud and fun.
squirrel
Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:26:34 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Agreed - those were the ones I was talking about (the non-folders) -- disaster is an understatement... I know of one that was modified to move on two trailers just to avoid the hassle during setup/teardown...
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 30, 2010 11:00:28 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

I moved Fred Nolans non folding Tip Top, got a scar in my right fore arm to prove it. Not only did you have to handle things twice but putting the sweeps on was a challange. Everything had a film of oil on it from the cylinder lube. Many had a compressor that put out 200 psi and as the ride required it the air was reduced to 125 psi. Due to the extreme heat from the compressor the rubber air line to the ride would get brittle, turn to carbon and and cause the reduction valve to clog. On Larry Carrs I reduced the pressure on the compressor to 135 psi. The compressor mounted on the back of a trailer wasn't too cool either. Noolans had a ground clearance issue as well. If you didn't take the dollies off they would hang on rr tracks. They should have at least pu a belly pan on it so you could drag it across high spots. Good concept though. On one of the first fold ups there was a clearance problem between the rider and the operator's control panel. That's why the the control panel and fence lean away from the ride. I call the factory after and accident and got their permission to put wedges under the panel to give more clearance.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Flying Coaster
Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:08:27 PM
MBGS had one back in the 70's, early 80's. Compressor was mounted on a tractor behind the cab in front of the fifth wheel.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
popcornserver
Saturday, October 30, 2010 1:13:44 PM
Shamrock Shows in NY has one, its up every week
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 30, 2010 3:07:01 PM
Main Event Amusements of Syracuse has a Tip Top, themed Artic Blast with back wall scenery. They use it as a music ride.

Sylvan Beach Park, near Syracuse has a 1966, non-folding Tip Top. The data plates say Hrubetz and Bushnell Engineering or something like that.
Pete
  •  Pete
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, October 30, 2010 6:00:45 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by punkboysa18

Did anyone here ever get to personally handle the Holiday Bounce? That was my favorite ride as a kid. It was soooooo loud and fun.

I moved it for ten years for my dad. Somewhat disrespectful to be including it in a discussion about Tip Tops!! LOL
punkboysa18
Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:08:32 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pete

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by punkboysa18

I moved it for ten years for my dad. Somewhat disrespectful to be including it in a discussion about Tip Tops!! LOL

I agree and am sorry. LOL. It was a sight and still would be on any midway today. RIP Holiday Bounce