skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, October 22, 2010 8:21:09 PM
I saw tons of litter, and those little ticket stubs that hold the tickets on the ride sheets that say NC State Fair & Powers midway at the top of them. People just throw them about on the midway, when a perfectly good trash can is no doubt, just feet away. What the hell is up with people now? And wasteful at that. I saw lots of funnel cakes thrown away...2 bites/mouthfuls and in the trash it goes. That's sad! They got more money than sense, most of 'em do. But, throwing down any 'ol thing fairgoers please on the midway, that ain't right. That just makes the show work harder to clean up around their ride. I know when i worked on Inners Shows, Ed would have me clean up around my ride, where fairgoers littered around it the ticket stubs, and other stuff.

Not just on the Fair's midway, but walking back to the truck to go home, in the parking lot, what do i see?....litter up the a**crack! [:0] I saw 2 or 3 good trashcans, hardly any trash in them either. What are people thinking, are they lazy or something? I don't get the world now days, are the end times near?, what's up? Anyone ever seen a midway that did Not have any litter left behind? That would be 1 in a million if that happened. lol

But yeah, i just wanted to see what you all thought about alot of folks being wasteful and litterbugs on the midway. The tools and materials to cook up that food probably ain't cheap, and then you've got some joe blow to take a few bites on it and junk it. [:(!] Yeah, you get the money for it, but, to see some or most of that food wasted makes ya wonder about people. Some on here probably even get mad about it, or do you? Just curious what you all think about it.
kool-aid kid
Friday, October 22, 2010 9:38:50 PM
95% of the world is lazy,why do you think
There is so many people with dieabeates( not sure about spelling )
Its gonna kill 95% of this world.

Pizzagod
Friday, October 22, 2010 11:42:03 PM
Um...you're really asking this?

People (bless 'em) are morons.

The ones who are convinced that littering is bad? Oh, those are the ones who will put their half empty cups or corn dog sticks lousy with mustard and ketchup or the remains of a turkey leg on any flat surface rather than toss it on the ground. Got a counter or porch on your joint? Be prepared to pick up after these slobs. Got a freezer or barrel for bottled water next to your stand? Guarantee these horses patoots will dump trash in them, on them, around them, or worse yet, sit on them. Can't tell you how many times I've had to inform these people who think they are so superior to us that "that's a freezer. You put food in it to keep it cold. That's a bench, you sit on that".

How about "can you throw this away for me?" Gee yeah, I really want to be your new maid.

"Do you have a trash can?" Yes, that would be those round things by you out there that have all the garbage in them....

Remember Ben, back in the day there were signs that said "Welcome to the midway. Please check your brains at the gate" and this was genetically embedded in most of the people who today walk the fairgrounds, expounding on how all the games are fixed, the carnies are all ex-convicts and child molesters, and how we all work for $100 a week.

/rant.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Benjibear
Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:22:25 AM
Trash is one thing but the thing that really gets me is cigarette butts. Those one inch pieces of trash end up laying where the person discarded them for years. Have you ever been in a turning lane and look out and see the road lined with millions of these little things? I have seen tons of people throw butts out their windows while driving. I have had them hit my car and have heard stories of them flying in peoples windows. I have an evil wish to see someone throw a butt in their car to see how they would like it. I have also seen piles of these things by rides and games on the midway because the operator was too lazy to throw them out (don't even get me started on people smoking while working).

Ok, off my rant now but that is just a pet peave of mine.

As far as uneaten food, many people have the thought you need to finish what you have in front of you. This is one of the problems that I feels causes obesity. Many people eat what is in front of them even though it may not taste good, they are full, or they think they need to eat. A person that can walk away and throw food out because they don't need could be a more healthy person. I for one sometimes want a funnel cake but can't or don't want to eat the whole thing myself so I don't see any reason if I don't have anyone to share it with, to just throw it out (in a trash can of course if there is one available).

As far as trash on the midways, people are pigs. Some places are worse than others and some places should have more trash cans. I have been and worked carnivals where the organization doesn't put a single trash can down by the show and there are few and far between on their midway. I beleive that many people will throw out if a can is convenient but some people if they have to walk to far will through it on the ground or ditch it somewhere.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:39:34 AM
Many people are pigs, plain and simple. To them it's easier to drop trash on the ground and walk away, even with an empty trash can five feet from them. People are lazy. Look at a Wal-Mart parking lot....the "cart corral" for the shopping carts is right behind their vehicle, but no, they leave the cart in the middle of the empty parking space next to them so someone else cannot pull in (or someone in their vehicle has to get out and move the cart), when all they had to do is take an extra thirty seconds and walk the cart to the corral.

I walk out onto the midway everyday we are open and see trash everywhere; we have break guys that pick up trash in between giving breaks to ride help, but even they cannot always keep up. I saw some teens toss empty water bottles on the ground and kick them, and got a nice "f--- you" when I pointed out there was a trash can right behind them. Nice, do they kiss their mothers with those mouths?

I saw a booked in jointee last Spring throw trash on the ground at one of our spots, lift the bally, and kick it under the trailer, and the trash can was literally five feet in front of him; he probably could have thrown the trash in from where he was standing! L-A-Z-Y P-I-G! He got *ed when I said something to him, and said "I'll pick it up later!" Of course the next night when they pulled out there was trash underneath the trailer, left for us to pick up. Again, real nice.

And what Pizzagod said....how about the idiots that like to sit on top of a picnic table instead of the bench? And then they get mad when you ask them to sit on the bench! I asked one girl if she sat on the kitchen table at home like that....of course she said no, we eat there....I said "my point exactly, people sit there and eat." Or the one's that look at brand new picnic table covers and decide it's a great idea to take a pen and start writing all over them, or taking a lighter and trying to burn a hole....

But yeah Ben, people are PIGS. Period. And we are in a society that thinks "someone else will take care of it...." Or worse, "someone is being paid to clean up, why should I worry about it...."

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Flying Coaster
Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:52:44 AM
People are lazy, and very selfish. I've heard it said that the average American's biggest fear is being inconvenienced and I'm starting to believe it. Look at the surrounding property near any Wal-Mart or grocery store, plastic bags everywhere, stuck to the fences and even in the trees and bushes. I've witnessed people walk out of the store, remove an item from the bag and just toss it into the wind. Pathetic.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
adrianduarte
Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:51:40 AM
Plain and simple, some people weren't brought up right. I had a friend that threw a candy bar wrapper out the car window a few years ago, I made him turn around and pick it up. I asked when he began the think that sort of thing was OK and he said he's done it all his life and his mom does it too. That's just sorry.
America's Got Talent 2011 Contestant #6******.
JustJeff
Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:21:10 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by adrianduarte

Plain and simple, some people weren't brought up right. I had a friend that threw a candy bar wrapper out the car window a few years ago, I made him turn around and pick it up. I asked when he began the think that sort of thing was OK and he said he's done it all his life and his mom does it too. That's just sorry.

Your plain and simple answer is dead on! It is upbringing plain and simple..My parents were adament about not littering and it has carried on to me..I am almost obsessed when it comes to it and it has now carried on to my children.

I pick up trash about a quarter mile each way from my house (both sides) and my daughter helps me.She has questioned how can people just throw stuff out of their cars that way,and I tell her that I just plain don't know.That the only thing I can think of is ignorance...jeff

Pizzagod
Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:53:22 AM
Absolutely!
We never throw the PBQ's out of a moving car anymore. We always deposit them at rest stops, gas stations, or Reithoffer lots.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
petekoloz
Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:07:28 AM
There is a name for a spot with no trash on the ground.
It's called a blank.
Discjo
Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:40:56 PM
Reithoffer lots --- LoL --- But only with bus fare!![}:)] If it was a 2 ticket ride!!
IndianaTED
Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:44:09 PM
Americans in general have become so much more self-centered and whinier (is that a word?) than they used to be.

Actually I think that littering used to be more of a problem (in the 60s and 70s) than it is now, though we still have many examples of those idiots that still can't find an appropriate way to deal with their trash.

I'm trying not to get political here, but so many Americans think it is possible to get something for nothing, and that right there demonstrates a shelfishness that just bleeds into other aspects of their lives.

As far as parents raising their children properly...I see many good examples, but far more bad examples of child-raising. I received many a hand to the rear and I never have considered it abusive looking back. I would have considered it neglectful to have done otherwise.

Used to be if you acted up at school, you were in worse trouble when you got home. Now the schools are completely afraid to dole out any discipline at all. Also adults all over town watched kids and reported to their parents when "little Johnny" did something bad. Try telling a parent now that their kid did something.

Like my grandfather used to say..."the government makes you get a license to catch a fish, but they will let any damn fool raise a child".

I'm just glad that I grew up when I did and had the parents (and community) I had.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Bowler Roller
Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:17:56 PM
I couldn't stand people who treated my derby like a picnic table, just because I had seats.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
johnroach100
Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:14:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

Americans in general have become so much more self-centered and whinier (is that a word?) than they used to be.

Actually I think that littering used to be more of a problem (in the 60s and 70s) than it is now, though we still have many examples of those idiots that still can't find an appropriate way to deal with their trash.

I'm trying not to get political here, but so many Americans think it is possible to get something for nothing, and that right there demonstrates a shelfishness that just bleeds into other aspects of their lives.

As far as parents raising their children properly...I see many good examples, but far more bad examples of child-raising. I received many a hand to the rear and I never have considered it abusive looking back. I would have considered it neglectful to have done otherwise.

Used to be if you acted up at school, you were in worse trouble when you got home. Now the schools are completely afraid to dole out any discipline at all. Also adults all over town watched kids and reported to their parents when "little Johnny" did something bad. Try telling a parent now that their kid did something.

Like my grandfather used to say..."the government makes you get a license to catch a fish, but they will let any damn fool raise a child".

I'm just glad that I grew up when I did and had the parents (and community) I had.

We played two spots this week, one on an army base and one at a Catholic Church. At the army base, a woman walked into the vinyl joint, picked up a piece and started out. When I confronted her, she said somebody took theirs and they needed another one. I asked her how her carelessness had anything to do with me. I gave her the stock and some grief to go with it.

At the church school, a guy came up with his son and explained that somebody took his kid's prize, and could they buy another one? I gave him the stock also, and praise. There's hope, a few people are raising their kids right.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:09:33 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by petekoloz

There is a name for a spot with no trash on the ground.
It's called a blank.

AMEN!

If you want to see trash go to some of those peoples houses or look in their cars.