LB Shows Mini Midway
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:39:50 PM
So I have had some good Skydiver tubs laying around for a couple years. I have tried and tried to build a Skydiver and I just can't seem to get it worked out.

The recent post by Ted with photos of models from ets7ed made me start wanting a Skydiver again. I have scratch built many models, but this is just one I can't seem to figure out.

My question is this... Would anyone be able to build the wheel if I sent them the already painted tubs I have? I can take care of the trailering and so on. I just need the wheel built with the tubs. Please PM with with info, price estimate, etc. If all goes well, I may be able to look into getting one built later this fall, early winter.

Thanks a lot for any help.





Matt C.
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:39:34 PM
Warren Renauld would probably be up for the job.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
LB Shows Mini Midway
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:51:36 AM
True Matt.

And after receiving a model from him already, I can't tell you how impressed I am with his work.
Matt C.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:37:18 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by LB Shows Mini Midway

True Matt.

And after receiving a model from him already, I can't tell you how impressed I am with his work.



Ohh yes... he is good!
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Ridee-O
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:13:58 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. I will PM John and try to help him some way.
skydiver77
Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:08:27 PM
Since i'm in a Sky Diver mood lately, i had thought about making a scratch-built Sky Diver out of toothpicks. There's a toothpick-made Ferris Wheel at the Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum down there at Myrtle Beach. I hadn't been in there in a long time, but i remember seeing a toothpick-made Ferris Wheel And roller coaster. Pretty impressive! And they both functioned! [:0] LB, please do post photos of that Sky Diver when you're done building it, i would love to see it! And i know i posted on here a while back about possibly doing up a Huss Rainbow out of 2x4's, but that plan fell through. I'd rather build a toothpick Sky Diver, that would be pretty neat to see, IF done up right and it looks true to the real Sky Diver.
LB Shows Mini Midway
Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:37:10 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by RainbowBen

Since i'm in a Sky Diver mood lately, i had thought about making a scratch-built Sky Diver out of toothpicks. There's a toothpick-made Ferris Wheel at the Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum down there at Myrtle Beach. I hadn't been in there in a long time, but i remember seeing a toothpick-made Ferris Wheel And roller coaster. Pretty impressive! And they both functioned! [:0] LB, please do post photos of that Sky Diver when you're done building it, i would love to see it! And i know i posted on here a while back about possibly doing up a Huss Rainbow out of 2x4's, but that plan fell through. I'd rather build a toothpick Sky Diver, that would be pretty neat to see, IF done up right and it looks true to the real Sky Diver.



Hey Ben,

When I do get a diver (whether built for me or built by me) I will surely post photos. Thanks.

ringmaster
Friday, October 8, 2010 1:45:18 PM
Skywheel88 is the undisputed king of toothpick models.
LB Shows Mini Midway
Friday, October 8, 2010 3:16:11 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by ringmaster

Skywheel88 is the undisputed king of toothpick models.



No doubt about that!
skywheel88
Friday, October 8, 2010 7:56:45 PM
[:0]Whoa! Thanks guys! Hey John, if I was building a Skydiver I'd draw out a full sized template of the wheel and lay it flat on a table, make or find something for two suitable axle-halves with hubs on each end for glueing the spokes onto. Temporarily glue one axle-half, hub end up to the center of the template, once that's dry, glue the 32 spokes to the hub end to make up 1/2 side of your wheel. Glue perimeter space bars between every second set of two spokes, the empty slots will be where you will be installing your tubs. I think I would also glue down the first side drive rim too as this will accomplish holding all the spokes in place and make the wheel half way more sturdy. Repeat this process up to but not including glueing perimeter space bars for the second half. Glue your axle halves together, glue spoke ends together, glue down second side drive rim, once dry you can glue in all of your cross-beams inside each spoke, install your tubs and sit it on it's stand. I would think this method would make a very non-warped, smooth running wheel. Hope this all makes sense the way I explained it. Happy diving and love your show John![:D]
Kenny.

DrNickRiviera995
Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:25:52 AM
Can't go wrong with Warren. 🙂
ringmaster
Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:33:37 AM
Make your template with Google sketch-up, you might have to print one half at a time. Make your traveling sweeps out of party toothpicks, bamboo squires, swizzle sticks, bicycle spokes, Sig balsa, NESL basswood, Evergreen plastic, Sig push wire, K&B brass rod or whatever is in scale.
LB Shows Mini Midway
Monday, October 11, 2010 8:52:10 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by ringmaster

Make your template with Google sketch-up, you might have to print one half at a time. Make your traveling sweeps out of party toothpicks, bamboo squires, swizzle sticks, bicycle spokes, Sig balsa, NESL basswood, Evergreen plastic, Sig push wire, K&B brass rod or whatever is in scale.



Where Kenny is the king of toothpicks, I keep my local hobby shop in business buying Evergreen Styrene strips, rods, etc. [;)]
Skywheelrider
Monday, October 11, 2010 3:19:39 PM
My RAH Sky Diver is, without a doubt, the most difficult model I have ever built. Period. I like it, but still not 100% happy with how it turned out. Maybe I will try one again in the future, the second time around should go much smoother, I would think!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
LB Shows Mini Midway
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:46:15 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Skywheelrider

My RAH Sky Diver is, without a doubt, the most difficult model I have ever built. Period. I like it, but still not 100% happy with how it turned out. Maybe I will try one again in the future, the second time around should go much smoother, I would think!



Must agree.I have been able to complete all the RAH stuff I have ever gotten, but I could not figure this one out.

Chris, I thought yours looked pretty darn good when I saw it.

Side note... Ron's newer pieces are fantastic. They just keep getting better. I'm nearing completion of the Crazy Bus. I am hoping in the next few weeks to put in a large winter order to him.
Users browsing this topic
  • OceanSpiders 2.0