Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, November 7, 2003 4:07:11 PM
The latest is that he was despondent over the loss of his girl friend who was killed in a car crash and took his own life. It doesn't sound like him, does it? Suicide isn't discussed much in public, it has occurred on the midway but again, not much spoken about it.

He has entered that great midway in the sky and all his works continue to breath.

Rest in Peace Wizard, you have touched many lives, Gary
UserPostedImage
Bossman
Friday, November 7, 2003 4:38:29 PM
Thanks for the info Pinetar. I had heard of him death several years ago at Gibtown as I mentioned on this site. I hadn't heard of him taking his own life. We often wonder what goes through one's mind during grief. RIP
BSA Mike
Friday, November 7, 2003 7:12:33 PM
RIP, you did some truely great work that still looks great today, i hope he's painting for the big man above.....
shuper
Friday, November 7, 2003 7:20:47 PM
[:(]R.I.P.

Most memorable of the WIZARD was in the 80's on Murphy Brothers. He painted everything from gens to Gunslinger (Trailer mount TilT).

I'm glad to have memorys of the best midway painter in the world when i was a small child.

bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 8, 2003 7:39:31 AM
Thanx pinetar , it appears that we have some closure on this matter. I am sad to hear of such a tragic end to a life that had brought so much pleasure to people. R.I.P. our beloved painter,our master of color,our Wizard.....
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
WestCoastPat
Saturday, November 8, 2003 12:31:32 PM
WestCoastPat-You are a trouble maker and a **** stirrer! Yep-I guess I am, but this whole thread reminds me of so many on here that have no basis in fact, just another rumor-unsubstantiated-but not from one of the "trouble maker" posters so it must be ok huh? Come on guys, if we require some kind of independant verifying of facts on most subjects, why not this one? And BTW Pinetar this is not a slam on you for the original post at all. I hope it is not true but I have no reason to doubt you. Just trying to point out the irony of some posts being ok if they are rumor and others starting WWIII if they are the same. WestCoastPat
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 8, 2003 12:53:00 PM
I can see your point pat, however this topic has been filled with rumor. Rumor surrounds certain topics and people like The Wizard.Was Billy The Kid ever really put to rest or was he still alive after he was supposedly shot and killed? There are people all over the world that swear Elvis is still alive. Legends like The Wizard are always gonna be surrounded by rumor and gossip, that's just their nature.
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
Saturday, November 8, 2003 1:50:23 PM
Quote:

quote:

just another rumor-unsubstantiated-but not from one of the "trouble maker" posters so it must be ok huh?

I would gladly have you proove me wrong, pat. It is only a rumor with no way to proove either way at the moment, perhaps someone will see the thread and supply more details. The person who told me, works with showman who have had extensive work by the Wizard and in fact, setup the Wizard with his 800 phone number. I feel a sense of reliability there. Those who had contact with the wizard are searching for answers and this is are best source at the moment.

You don't usually get rattled, I'm surprised you are showing concern here.

On another note, the topic about A of A loosing the OSF was never criticaly challenged but I just happen to have a key phone number to get more info, which I will do on Monday.
UserPostedImage
cny_chris
Saturday, November 8, 2003 5:38:13 PM
The mystery continues......

Unless the man himself comes forward, I hate to say it, we may never know the truth about his whereabouts. Certainly makes him more legendary and adds to the mystique surrounding him. I've gotta hope and believe that he disappeared because he felt that he was at the pinnacle of his career. Hopefully he is enjoying his retirement, hiding out in plain sight on a lot somewhere. Long live the legend.[:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
tamadachi76
Saturday, November 8, 2003 5:43:11 PM
Regardless of wether or not he is here or someplace else, he was an inspirational artist. Thank you Wizard! [:D]
Have you paid your dues Jack? Yeah I paid my dues. The check is in the mail.
Steve F.
Sunday, November 9, 2003 2:42:14 AM
Funny how no one has a picture of the guy yet. I'm suprised there isn't a photo of him standing in front of one of his creations.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
Sunday, November 9, 2003 2:56:17 AM
It is all about respect, he wouldn't allow it.
UserPostedImage
Carnie_Joe930
Sunday, November 9, 2003 8:40:08 AM
When the Wizard was painting the Dark Ride for the guy I bought it from, the guy complained about how long it was taking him to finish. Seems like the Wizard would work for a week or so,get a little more front money and fly to California for Holistic Healing. Lack of safety procedures and the new paint formulas that were being introduced, as well as the years of exposing his lungs to these chemicals was taking its toll. According to the former owner of the ride, Matt Huesmann from Shelbyville,IN; the Wiz wasn't doing too well. Seemed to be having some very bad lung problems. Not many people remember seeing him much after this.
BSA Mike
Sunday, November 9, 2003 8:53:44 AM
joe, thats what i originally heard, that he used to paint without masks and he would be exposed to the chemicals, and that he was having lung problems from all the years of exposure, i dont know but that seems more likely then the suicide thing, although i never met the wizzard, my dad and uncle told me how he was a bit of a basket case, in any case...he was still a great painted, and his paintings still looks like the day he painted em...
Carnie_Joe930
Monday, November 10, 2003 5:29:39 AM
SDS Mike--crazyspin took some great pictures of the Wizard's paintjob on my Zaccini Dark Ride. They're in the Kiwani's Karnival album at his webshots site. rainman also got some really nice one's(including a closeup of the Wizard's work)when he visited Arbroo Shows in Laurens,SC. Enjoy! Its rumored that this paintjob was one of the Wizard's last--and by many people's comments--surely one of his best. It was as though he was leaving his legacy on this job.