Majestic Fan1982
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:30:25 AM
Not many shows here in Pa ever owned a hurricane. The only shows that i remember that had one would be Majestic Midways, and Henry T cole. Majestics was a old version of the Hrubretz and Henrys was the newer Dartron.

Majestics got sold about 4 years ago and i believe it went to Tons of fun shows out of Pa. I dont know who picked up Henrys dartron one but if i had to guess i would say dreamland?

as far as i know there is only one Hurricane in Pa. I really do miss this ride. I rode a few back in the early 90's

i like how it almost takes your breath away. and the ride starts out going slowly around then speeding up and your going into the air holding on not all the way up into the air but it works its way up then once your finally all the way up into the air you can tell when the air compresser is going to make that loud woosh sound. Thats my favorite part of the ride. that part then the end where your just spinning in the air pressed against the side of the seat till the ride slowly spins downwards.

even when i wasnt riding one i love to just stand next to a hurricane and listen to the air compresser. I like hearing that and the whining down part of the ride. The ride sure does have some nice sound affects. Plus its a great ride for a small show or big show.

and i hear setup and tear down on this ride is about 2 hours. I know there is still alot of hurricanes traveling the states but i believe with time this will be another ride that will fade out. But here in Pa its just about gone lol.

I do have a question about this ride tho. who ever owns one has this ride treated you good and is it easy to maintain. and how long does the air compresser hold up before needing to be replaced?

DGM
  •  DGM
  • 50.36% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:00:09 AM
Compressors will last a long time with proper maintenance. The whoosh you here is the air being exhausted out of the lift cylinder
DM
Benjibear
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:21:27 AM
Knoebels Grove has one that is similar and called the downdraft:
http://www.knoebels.com/images/rides/DownDraft.jpg 

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
squirrel
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:29:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Knoebels Grove has one that is similar and called the downdraft:
http://www.knoebels.com/images/rides/DownDraft.jpg 

Downdrafts are the Dartron versions of the ride. Dartron is the company that wound up with the rights to old Hrubetz, Kilinski, and Manco rides (Round-Up --> Zero Gravity; Hurricane --> Downdraft; Paratrooper -->StarTrooper/Cliff-Hanger), etc...
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:25:41 PM
I got a beef with the designers of the "hurricane" The way they "flex" the tubs out so the riders are in a simi up right position isn't near as fun as the old Saturn six where your body was Paraellel with the sweeps. Or at least that's how I remember it as a kid.
JustJeff
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:12:27 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I got a beef with the designers of the "hurricane" The way they "flex" the tubs out so the riders are in a simi up right position isn't near as fun as the old Saturn six where your body was Paraellel with the sweeps. Or at least that's how I remember it as a kid.

Man I respectfully disagree with you on that one..I rode the heck out of the Hurricane on the show I was with,plus I ran it,but the 2 times I rode a Saturn 6,it hurt my neck so bad I couldn't wait for the ride to end..Maybe it was just me..I don't know....jeff
BIG L
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:33:56 PM
good piece though, even for being old, lots of action, loud, draws the attention of the mooches, and still wins tickets. only problem is they are overpriced for used ones, especially when its almost 30 years old and they want almost 200k for it.
Looking for strong route to book a
1 man ticket box. 😛
bdgaf
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:45:09 PM
they do have a high price tag u do not see them used ones for sale to much and when u do it is priced high i just do not see them being worth that much never raely impesed me on the figurs it did but om small show it could be an impresive piece
this what we do.
squirrel
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:03:06 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The Saturn-6 was built buy a different mfgr. I would have to research which one came out first -- the Saturn's were more of a pain in the ass to move though (through the grapevine for former owners).
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:15:48 AM
Wasn't the SAturn 6 made by AH?
UserPostedImage
Majestic Fan1982
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:53:53 AM
Yes i highly agree that used hurricanes are over priced.

I can understand that the newer dartron hurricanes go at a high price. But if its a used Hrubretz hurricane then it should be no more then $60,000

Majestic Midways sold their Hrubretz hurricane for $180,000 but the reason they price their used rides so high is before they put this ride up for sale. They put a brand new compresser in. alot of new electrical work, among tons of other face lifts to this ride. so your not just paying for the ride but you are also paying for all that work they put into the ride.

They always rebuild every amusement ride they ever put up for sale and they always sell it at top dollar.

Most used rides are over priced anyways. and it isnt even worth selling rides these days. Probaly better to just do trade ins. Of course you want that money in your pocket but the way the amusement market is today its just better to trade in a major ride for a differnt major ride depending on what your looking for to improve your show.
tiltcharles
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:22:30 AM
are the any allen herschell hurricanes around still?
cny_chris
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:32:33 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Majestic Fan1982

Yes i highly agree that used hurricanes are over priced.

Based on what?
Quote:

quote:

I can understand that the newer dartron hurricanes go at a high price. But if its a used Hrubretz hurricane then it should be no more then $60,000

$60,000 doesn't buy you much nowadays, and with this ride, I'd suspect at that price the ride would need some significant work to run good and look good.
Quote:

quote:

Majestic Midways sold their Hrubretz hurricane for $180,000 but the reason they price their used rides so high is before they put this ride up for sale. They put a brand new compresser in. alot of new electrical work, among tons of other face lifts to this ride. so your not just paying for the ride but you are also paying for all that work they put into the ride.

Considering a new one is likely somewhere north of $350,000, whoever bought it got a deal, if it was in as good of shape as you say it was.
Quote:

quote:

They always rebuild every amusement ride they ever put up for sale and they always sell it at top dollar.

Most used rides are over priced anyways. and it isnt even worth selling rides these days. Probaly better to just do trade ins. Of course you want that money in your pocket but the way the amusement market is today its just better to trade in a major ride for a differnt major ride depending on what your looking for to improve your show.

Trade ins? Last I had heard, unless the ride is in demand or a manufacturer has a buyer for it, don't even bother mentioning a trade in. In fact, I'd believe you would do better selling a good ride yourself, instead of even thinking about trading it in. Most shows are going to run a ride until they can find a buyer anyways.

Now, all that being said, there are at least 5 Hurricanes in NY that I can think of, including one that spends part of the season in PA. Hawkins (Killinski Hurricane), Playland (Killinski Hurricane), Midway Rides of Utica (? Hurricane), Hammerl (Hrubretz Downdraft), Fun For Everyone (? Hurricane).

Pretty sure that the Saturn 6 was a Herschell ride.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:50:18 AM
They were $90,000 in 1977, new.
UserPostedImage
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:33:11 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

They were $90,000 in 1977, new.

I think we paid 105 or 135 in 1979, but it also had the new style Bradley Kaye cars.

We kept it until 1990...
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.