back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:43:58 AM
Thanks I didn;t know that ... he was around when my mother was on the show as a indie... I wish I had asked her before she passed. She was the one that kicked me onto strates and told me to stay there ! [:D]Of corse trying to find my way I had ventured onto other midways but nothing came close to Strates.. ( Conklin a very close second) Stoney was a good man...
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
peach10
Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:41:24 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RRSHOW1

Nice pix leaving NY fair heading south!
http://www.rrpicturearch...hivethumbs.aspx?id=60263 

those a nice pictures.
h.dean kappler
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:11:45 AM
something ive allways noticed and wonder why are peices of a ride scaterd through the train is it weight issue or just the time it showed up the the loading platform.....Like i saw the top spin and the wheel scaterd.
swooper
Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:11:08 AM
i believe its because the flats are a fixed length but the equipment is all different lengths so its sort of a puzzle how to make the best use of the space on a flat. and perhaps it partially depends on when the different loads are packed up and ready to load.

RR Show if needed, please correct me .
BeauceCarnavalMan
Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:24:08 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by swooper

i believe its because the flats are a fixed length but the equipment is all different lengths so its sort of a puzzle how to make the best use of the space on a flat. and perhaps it partially depends on when the different loads are packed up and ready to load.

RR Show if needed, please correct me .

IIRC the flats should be 89 feet long
BeauceCarnavalMan
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:46:53 PM
Older flats are 85'. At least one is much newer for the Top Spin. They don't load the train "tight" anymore. Some pieces are way overweight for highway use - the Top Spin center comes to mind. In the old days, their were far fewer tractor-trailer units and a lot more wagons (usually much shorter and lighter). The generator wagons were the heaviest, as rides were mostly ground-mount. It looks to me like they could cut 10 flats & not change the amount of rides loaded.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Saturday, October 2, 2010 8:44:57 AM
Quote:

quote:

Older flats are 85'. At least one is much newer for the Top Spin. They don't load the train "tight" anymore. Some pieces are way overweight for highway use - the Top Spin center comes to mind. In the old days, their were far fewer tractor-trailer units and a lot more wagons (usually much shorter and lighter). The generator wagons were the heaviest, as rides were mostly ground-mount. It looks to me like they could cut 10 flats & not change the amount of rides loaded.

yes thanks thats right the current size is 89 feet reason why States runs the older 85's as they were cheaper and easier to get off of railroads and or trailertrain
BeauceCarnavalMan
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:59:11 PM
If I recall correctly Strates has about half 85's and half 89's.
Now days they seem to put a lot of loads on the train with a tractor and either size flat will work with that.
It's a lot different than when they were putting 3 or 4 15-20 foot wagons on the old 72 footers.
BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, October 2, 2010 5:40:04 PM
the old hippo they had was a heavy load as well as the elephant car.
remeber the whistle call to stop, go, slow, etc.as the tractors pulled the wagon from the ground by chain. a couple of guys pulling the wagon tounge to keep it straight. that was a hell of a long time ago.
what the ????
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
Sunday, October 3, 2010 5:08:25 AM
I wanted to use the whistle when spotting loads a few years ago, but today's semi drivers keep their music too loud!

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BUB

the old hippo they had was a heavy load as well as the elephant car.
remeber the whistle call to stop, go, slow, etc.as the tractors pulled the wagon from the ground by chain. a couple of guys pulling the wagon tounge to keep it straight. that was a hell of a long time ago.

BeauceCarnavalMan
Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:19:49 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill P

If I recall correctly Strates has about half 85's and half 89's.
Now days they seem to put a lot of loads on the train with a tractor and either size flat will work with that.
It's a lot different than when they were putting 3 or 4 15-20 foot wagons on the old 72 footers.

Well there should only be 89 footers left so thats what Strates will be getting when then replace any of their older flats. As per AAR rail cars can only be used for 50 years before being scrapped unless getting approval from the AAR
BeauceCarnavalMan
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
Sunday, October 3, 2010 3:46:20 PM
I think their Warren car is older than that!
BeauceCarnavalMan
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:39:59 AM
Quote:

quote:

I think their Warren car is older than that!

im also not sure if private cars have to follow AAR rules
BeauceCarnavalMan