back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, September 13, 2010 1:10:51 PM
The only place I remember that we played back in the late 70's in Maryland was essex and that turned into a mud hole that we had to use milatery trucks to get us out of the lot. other then that the staduim where the wash. capitals played was one but I am not sure that was in maryland. The only other fair I played in Maryland was the city fair in Baltimore. just off the expressway. that was a great little fair lots of people alot of things to do at the docks after hours. it was not a strates spot.
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
Midway Provydr
Monday, September 13, 2010 2:41:14 PM
Part of the Zyklon is here in Winston Salem racked at the fairgrounds for the Dixie Classic Fair next month. [:p]
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, September 13, 2010 4:33:41 PM
If I recall correctly, Strates built that siding into the Gaithersburg fairgrounds.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, September 17, 2010 9:54:20 AM
Flying Coaster
Friday, September 17, 2010 11:13:44 AM
Very cool.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Midway Provydr
Friday, September 17, 2010 12:38:48 PM
BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Friday, September 17, 2010 1:04:53 PM
jim you where the train master for awhile correct.
what the ????
Tornado
Friday, September 17, 2010 2:02:35 PM
Great videos....
count 8 coaches, including Gen car
46 flates
for total of 54 cars
Train used have 60 cars - 2 more coaches and 4 more flates
willdecided
Friday, September 17, 2010 2:20:10 PM
If they travel by road part of the season, what do they do with there Huss Top Spin? I thought that ride was to heavy for the road, or do they keep it parked during these spots?
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
Friday, September 17, 2010 5:09:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BUB

No, I was chief electrician, but I used to help around the train, pull wagons, and as the contract says "make myself generally useful".
cny_chris
Friday, September 17, 2010 7:44:08 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by willdecided

If they travel by road part of the season, what do they do with there Huss Top Spin? I thought that ride was to heavy for the road, or do they keep it parked during these spots?

Top Spin plays Middletown, Hamburg, and Syracuse, NY. Then it plays the southern route - Danville, Winston-Salem, etc. The rest of the time it's parked. While the show is in Danbury, CT, Top Spin (and other equipment not needed there) is staged in Middletown, NY while the train goes to the yard at Port Jervis, NY.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:17:59 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RRSHOW1

Quote:

Originally posted by BUB

No, I was chief electrician, but I used to help around the train, pull wagons, and as the contract says "make myself generally useful".
[/quot

So how long had "stoney" been train master... I'd been there from 76 but I followed the show from 74...
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
skydiver77
Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:24:49 PM
Speaking of the Strates Train, i miss seeing it when October comes and it's that time near Raleigh. I used to love seeing it on those back streets: James E. Strates Shows flat cars, then in the distance/background, their Dutch Wheel sticking up over the old Fairgrounds buildings. I'd see it first, then their Rainbow when i got closer, then the Sky Diver off in the distance on another part of the midway ( in the early to mid 90's ). When i first saw their Top Spin and the ride itself, i was awstruck, as in, it certainly was a different ride for me. But i will always be a Huss Rainbow fan no matter what. If so many shows want these easy-to-set up rides, Huss should make a 1 trailer Rainbow, but keep it the same height as the original one. Just make it easier to set up & tear back down on 1 trailer. Imagine that, a 1 trailer Huss Rainbow, hmm...lol
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:23:14 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by back40

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RRSHOW1

Quote:

Originally posted by BUB

[/quot

So how long had "stoney" been train master... I'd been there from 76 but I followed the show from 74...

Stony had been on the show since 1949 - the year I was born. He came from Crafts 20 Big Shows in California and, like many others on the show, found a "home" there. He was used as an all-around guy to take over if someone wasn't there. He had been electrician, trainmaster, superintendent of transportation, truck mechanic, ride jock, etc.
BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:28:00 AM
jim add the title of all around good man to stoney.
what the ????