RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:29:04 AM
Flying Coaster
Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:05:40 AM
Does this show make every single jump by rail, or do they maybe play 2-3 locations in a region and truck jump them and load the train to make long jumps?
All Skywheels should be yeller.
bueller
Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:27:19 AM
I remember hearing they left Danbury, CT by truck a year or two ago.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:39:58 PM
Every jump except one is by rail. In the spring they move the train to Middletown, NY & go overland from there with a unit to play Danbury, Ct.
then they return to Middletown to pick up the train for the season.
Flying Coaster
Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:55:14 PM
So I'm guessing that most of their jumps are fairly long if that's the case.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:04:25 PM
the only long long jumps are getting from Fl. to the north... and the one getting out of the north ! [8D] thanks for the pics they were great shots.
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 82.08% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:16:15 PM
Train goes from Middletown to Hamburg while they truck a unit into Elmira. They may also truck into a couple of the smaller Florida spots in the winter.
cny_chris
Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:09:03 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

Does this show make every single jump by rail, or do they maybe play 2-3 locations in a region and truck jump them and load the train to make long jumps?

Some rides are never on the train and only move over the road for the entire route.

KMG Fireball
Larson Fireball
Cuckoo Haus
Monkey Maze
Haunted Mansion
Scooter
part of the Zyklon Coaster

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
IndianaTED
Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:27:30 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Quote:

quote:

Some rides are never on the train and only move over the road for the entire route.

KMG Fireball
Larson Fireball
Cuckoo Haus
Monkey Maze
Haunted Mansion
Scooter

Why?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
Monday, September 13, 2010 8:22:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

KMG Fireball
Larson Fireball
Cuckoo Haus
Monkey Maze
Haunted Mansion
Scooter

Why?

That's a trade secret only known by Railroad Show people![;)]
Benjibear
Monday, September 13, 2010 9:34:26 AM
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

KMG Fireball
Larson Fireball
Cuckoo Haus
Monkey Maze
Haunted Mansion
Scooter

Why?

I am guessing it either has something to do with weight distribution or maybe a better answer would be it sits too low to the gound to get on the train. I know the scooter sits low but what about the others.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Monday, September 13, 2010 11:11:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RRSHOW1

Every jump except one is by rail. In the spring they move the train to Middletown, NY & go overland from there with a unit to play Danbury, Ct.

I have been hearing that the passenger cars didnt go to Syarcuse and stayed on the Buffalo Southern Railroad in Hamburg due to CSX not wanting to move the Passenger cars to Syarcuse.
BeauceCarnavalMan
cny_chris
Monday, September 13, 2010 11:27:46 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BeauceCarnavalMan

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RRSHOW1

I have been hearing that the passenger cars didnt go to Syarcuse and stayed on the Buffalo Southern Railroad in Hamburg due to CSX not wanting to move the Passenger cars to Syarcuse.

Passenger cars moved to Syracuse, but not via CSX. BSOR, NS and FLRR handled them, I'm told. On the move south from Syracuse, CSX only moved the train from their mainline onto a siding, where it was picked up by FLRR, taken to Geneva, and then handed off to NS to go south. CSX supposedly doesn't like the open bearings on the coaches, which require greasing, is the information I've managed to find.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
cny_chris
Monday, September 13, 2010 11:31:45 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

KMG Fireball
Larson Fireball
Cuckoo Haus
Monkey Maze
Haunted Mansion
Scooter

Why?

I am guessing it either has something to do with weight distribution or maybe a better answer would be it sits too low to the gound to get on the train. I know the scooter sits low but what about the others.

All of those trailers sit low to the ground, as do some loads that go on the train. Someone else mentioned in the past that the issue was trailer width. Not sure what the reason it, but I'm sure it's a good reason why they don't go on the train. Likely cheaper to have everything on the train and not have to pay drivers, fuel, etc. to go over the road.

wvscott
Monday, September 13, 2010 12:14:38 PM
I saw Strates at Gaithersburg MD the last year they played that spot and I can tell you there was a whole lot more than mentioned above that was not on the train. They also use the rides from S&T at the larger spots and all that goes by road.

When I arrived at the lot there was so much already there, I thought surely I missed the train. Turns out the train had not even arrived yet and lots of rides on the lot. At that particular date, they trucked the ground mounts truck for the giant wheel also, the crews said it was so they could get that work done before the train arrived.

Strates show is a thing of beauty at their large spots with everything set up, I wish they still played Gaithersburg so I could see them.

Back in the day I believe they actually had the contract for the Montgomery Fair on the same lot but later on during August. The train never played that date as they were in NY during that time, but they sent down a few rides by truck, and booked in stuff from Murphy, Jolly Shows, Silver Dollar and maybe even more.

There is a rail siding off the CSX main right there at the fairgrounds, and after the flats unloaded they took the emptys to Brunswick Md for storage, and shoved the coaches into the siding literally feet from the midway, so it was a perfect spot for Strates each spring.