BigSumo
Friday, September 3, 2010 9:13:08 PM
I can not speak form the ride perspective, but in the joints the price is controlled by the public. If they are paying it, I am going to charge it. An example of this was the Del Mar fair this year, nearly every joint on the midway was priced at 99 cents.

I constantly adjust my prices, rather it is in a joint or on the my straight sales, depending on what the customer will pay and what they paid last year.

I am sorry, but if they don't like the price then simply do not pay it. We are not out there bustin' our humps to clear a yard on a five day spot.

To answer the question, it is too much when they stop paying it!
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:10:39 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by BeauceCarnavalMan

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt C.

Whether the price is $10 or $20, I think some people are just destin to complain.

Your dam right about that

Your repy is over simplified. Think of the total budget for the family.

got a complaint a the nysf on the little horse. sign reads in larger print"special .50" smaller print reads "under ten years old" i'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other and i can read everything on the sign from a distance of 25 feet which is more space than we have between center joints where he is located. the guy complaining thought that was unfair and we should keep everything the same price, i told him i can't stop the operator from offering discounts, what else are you going to get at the nysf for under a buck..... so yes, some people complain about anything and everything.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
sausageseller
Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:18:12 AM
I have had 2 daughters get married this year.

Spending the day at the fair with the family is a bargin when it gets down to it!
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:58:59 AM
took my 2 grandaughters to the movies last month. 1 adult 2 kids,admission, nachos, popcorn and drinks.....$72 for an hour and half of entertainment.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:40:22 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by lotman

took my 2 grandaughters to the movies last month. 1 adult 2 kids,admission, nachos, popcorn and drinks.....$72 for an hour and half of entertainment.

Looky thare! You can save yosef, 3 yards by avoiding the fair and attending the local flic house.

Or attend a Browns game; $85 admission, $41 fpr the privelage of having access to the Club seating and Club access where beer is $8 the pint. Sit for 2 quarters outside, then head inside and gladhand with your homies while tossing a few and watching the game on the bar flat screen. Living large.

UserPostedImageThursdays game.

Please bring $25 for parking. There is one born every minute?
UserPostedImage
geewizz66
Sunday, September 5, 2010 8:00:14 PM
Time will tell about who's policy and pricing effects which events. I agree with most of your comments about family budgets. If you look back over this season and compare which Fairs are down compared to what they charge and those Fairs that are up over last year and what they charge I would bet that pricing has more of an effect rather than the weather. We play some events where they added a gate for the first time this year and those spots were off like 30% - 40%. Greeley, Colorado for instance, first time they had a gate in 80 years and the spot was down 40%.
We have kept or lowered our POP's to $ 15 and $ 20 from $ 17 and $ 24 and we have actually been up a bit.
It's like a bad restaurant, if you feel that you had bad service, bad food or just an overal poor experience, you'r not too likely to go back. Fairs and festivals are the same. People have limited budgets. If they have had a good experience and enjoyed themselves, they are more likely to return.

It always amazes me to hear and watch these Fair and Festival Committeess just automatically assume that if they had 10,000 paid attendance last year and the price to get in was $ 5.00, that they would up their gate grosses if they raised the fee to $ 7.00, for instance. This may work if they gave more, but usually they don't.

Bottom line, people want to feel that they are getting their money's worth.

Geewizz66
magicpat
Sunday, September 5, 2010 10:25:59 PM
THE COMMITTEES ARE GETTING SO GREEDY THAT IT'S BETTER TO DO A STILL DATE AT A MALL....IN ADDITION, SOME RETAILERS, ( DILLARD'S ) RAISE A STINK WHEN WE WANT TO COME ON THE PROPERTY. THEY HAVE TOO MUCH "CLASS" TO ALLOW US CARNIES ON THE LOT.
PAT WASSON
magicpat
Sunday, September 5, 2010 10:29:02 PM
THINGS ARE TO THE POINT NOW, WHERE DOING A STILL DATE AT A MALL IS BETTER THAN A SO-CALLED "REAL FAIR"....THE OTHER PROBLEM IS DILLARD'S - THEY THINK THEY HAVE TOO MUCH CLASS TO ALLOW US CARNY FOLK ON THEIR GOLDEN PAVEMENT. (OR IS THAT ASPHALT?)
PAT WASSON
DickHefner
Monday, September 6, 2010 3:10:49 AM
yes, I think I read, or heard that Dillards does not allow carnivals on their parking lots any longer, due to possibly a shoplifting? another classic case of one person screwing it up for the majority.(off topic)
In memory of Kenny Maple Jr 1973-2010
BigSumo
Monday, September 6, 2010 2:15:29 PM
Try a trip to one of big amusement parks, Disneyland is now $72.00. You can drop a G-note easy in one day at a big park. The fair is still a better value. Plus here in the Golden State the rides at the big amusmeent parks are exempt from inspection, go figure!
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"
bueller
Monday, September 6, 2010 9:27:16 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by BigSumo

Try a trip to one of big amusement parks, Disneyland is now $72.00. You can drop a G-note easy in one day at a big park. The fair is still a better value. Plus here in the Golden State the rides at the big amusmeent parks are exempt from inspection, go figure!

Insurance companies will inspect them once a year.

Was talking to someone today said he went to a fair with a gate charge 20 POP and $1 tickets with rides costing 5 tickets. I think $5 a ride is a little steep.
SaraAB
Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:59:11 AM
Again from the perspective of a customer:

The biggest thing for me is appropriate pricing for the amount of rides there. There is one carnival I go to here where the pricing has stayed the same no matter what company plays it. So if there are less rides from a different company, or more rides from another company, the price still stays the same. If there is less rides than the previous year the prices should be lowered and if there are more and better rides, I would expect the prices to go up. The general public does notice when there are less rides especially if there is empty space where rides once were. Kids notice as well because they are able to remember the names of the rides and remember where they were and if they are not there when they were there last year. Parents don't notice as much, but the kids do.

This carnival has raised their POP price to $20 for a parking lot carnival, when it used to be $15 per 4 hour session. There are also less rides than there used to be. During the $15 era the carnival was filled with kids and teens happily riding the rides and people were utilizing the rides. Now that it is $20 POP per session and there is a lot of loitering, less spending, and very few are riding the rides. Now it also attracts more trashy crowds that loiter, stand in circles and talk and play with their phones instead of the families that came during the $15 era and actually spent money. The higher prices have made this carnival go downhill.

The reason I mentioned lowering prices during a show is because I have seen it done once, a carnival I went to was having problems with the electric and once they finally got it going they decided since there wasn't enough time left for POP (they were about an hour into POP) that they would charge 1$ for all rides. They could have just continued charging full price. Well I spent about $5-10 that I would have not otherwise and people were lining up for tickets like you wouldn't believe after the price was reduced. I suspect they made more money on that then they would have at the regular $4 per ride or $15 POP this spot was charging. Lowering the price will get people to spend money who otherwise wouldn't, because the public then perceives the lowered price as a deal and a good value. Its been done a lot of times before too, some fairs advertise $2 rides on opening day and they have been doing this special for many years, and its obviously not a problem since if it was they would remove the opening day special.

I guess my suggestion would be to have some kind of special or discount on ride prices in some way other than the normal posted POP or ticket prices. Offer a coupon for a couple dollars off POP or discounted ride tickets through some channel. Offer a coupon for x dollars off the purchase of x ride tickets. The coupons for POP discounts seem to have gone away for a lot of spots in my area which is a bad thing because almost all spots here had a coupon in the paper for something in years past. Now there are no more coupons. These coupons bring in a lot of business, create more advertising and good word of mouth too. People love good deals especially these days and they want to see that they are getting a deal or a sale price. People love coupons, especially families. A deal or a sale is a good value to the public. People are more willing to spend if they see a sale or a deal or have a coupon, retail stores use these tactics all the time to get people to buy more stuff and it works.
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:35:06 AM
I've read over the replies to this topic, and I think there are good points that everyone is making. Being 'family friendly' is something I've heard a lot. I like the suggestion of the 'dollar night', which is something that I've seen many spots do on the opening night (usually a Tuesday or Thursday), when it would normally be slow anyways. It's a different take on the 'use a POP to draw them in' philosophy that most use. And I do agree, that some people will complain about ANYTHING, just to hear themselves complain.

I also get what the folks talking about what the show keeps are saying. You obviously have to price things so that you make money, or else why bother to do it (and I've run numbers through my head, and understand the giant nut that exists even before the gates open).

So on a related note, how do you price things to make it seem to the public that they're getting a 'bigger' bargain?

<ul><li>Is it pricing tickets at 50 cents, selling a monstrous sheet of them for a 'reasonable' price (say 60 for $25), and charging 5-8 tickets a ride? </li><li>Offering reduced price drink refills, with the refill price reflecting your cost + profit on a more durable 'premium' cup that you don't have to provide the 2nd time around? </li><li>Using coupons to reduce the POP price to the previous year's price? </li> <li>Or some other method...</li></ul>

Again, I look forward to your responses.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Benjibear
Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:14:50 AM
I just saw an ad in the paper for York Fair and Reithoffer is doing $19 wristbands and I beleive if you prepurchase it is less (maybe $15). That appears resonable compared to the entrance fee of $6 just to get in the place.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Soda Guy
Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:11:53 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

I just saw an ad in the paper for York Fair and Reithoffer is doing $19 wristbands and I beleive if you prepurchase it is less (maybe $15). That appears resonable compared to the entrance fee of $6 just to get in the place.

Benjibear, so how much is the insurance that the fairgrounds pays? How many people through the gate to pay that nut? You seem to be the expert on "what is to much" so you must have the inside knowledge to these and other fixed cost prices to make such a grand statement that 6 dollars is to much to pay to get in. What about the free acts? Does the fair pay any non profit group to park cars? pick up trash? These questions should easily be answered by you, beccause only after having that type of information could you make an informed statement.

My take on things is this, if you are working the same job as you did 5 years ago did you get a raise? Are your utility bills the same as 5 years ago? Insurance the same? Medial costs. . . THEN WHY DO YOU INSIST THAT THE CARNIVALS AND FAIRS TAKE A PAY CUT WHEN YOU AREN'T AND WHEN YOUR HOUSEHOLD EXPENSES GO UP DON'T YOU THINK THAT A SHOWS EXPENSES WILL ALSO GO UP?

As for Chris's questions I am really waiting to see what is working in general and what isn't. There are so many places to spend your entertainment dollars these days the carnival is competing against movies, video rentals (those damn red boxes)video games and computer games just to name a few. Fairs and festivals used to be used as a homecoming for communities now with facebook and other sites peoople stay in touch year around and local festivals aren't used as the yearly gathering place. Thus a drop in attendance.