Majestic Fan1982
Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:16:16 AM
Hoffa, I agree with you 100 percent. But in my post i did add about running the equipment into the ground because when i had a topic about this sort of thing back in April. alot of shows jumped on me about why should we give you a $20.00 wrist band when all your going to do is run my rides into the ground and then i have to repair them every day.

I understand that these shows are out their to make their money. But i would want people to look at my ticket boxes and say okay them prices are reasonable lets all get a $20.00 wrist band. and heck some of these really big shows on the east coast such as reithoffers are giving $16.00 to $18.00 wrist bands so obviously that show isnt worried about killing their equipment. S&S amusements also does great deals along with oscars and Jimmy Houghton sometimes does every night is wrist band night. and he owns a older model mixer, older model swinger, Zipper and gravitron and round up. so he isnt worried about running his equipment either.

That kind of tells me the whole running the rides into the ground theory is a bunch of BS. I rather see long lines at the rides and that ride moving up in the air over and over again rather than just have your ride operators standing their looking dumb as the ride just stands still until somebody rides it maybe a half hour later.

Mike i never hear that your rides are being ran to death. because ive seen your show at the end of your whole season and they still sound amazing to me.

BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:35:59 AM
here is a thought if i have a machine of any kind and take care of it . the machine eventually is run into the ground by work. have that machine made me a ton of money? would you build a boat and not sail it cause it gets wet? race a car on days when no one else was on the track? hell run the ride until it says it is tired and rebuild it do it again.
what the ????
Benjibear
Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:53:18 AM
An anology to running a ride into the ground. Think of your car driving from point A to point B. If you have another person in the car with you are you running your car in the ground?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Majestic Fan1982
Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:57:03 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by BUB

here is a thought if i have a machine of any kind and take care of it . the machine eventually is run into the ground by work. have that machine made me a ton of money? would you build a boat and not sail it cause it gets wet? race a car on days when no one else was on the track? hell run the ride until it says it is tired and rebuild it do it again.

Very well said BUB. Rides do get tired by the end of the season tho but than you have 5 to 6 months of WQ to rebuild. If you dont want that ride to be used over and over again by people take it on a tractor around the states to a ride show lol.

where people can just go oooo and wow and awww look at that. But you cant ride it just stare at it. I see people with boats every day going down my street sometimes the same exact boat. every day the weather is nice these people are out their running their boats.
Cygnus12
Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:12:43 AM
I don't mind paying 5 or 6 bucks for a major ride, however in NJ I've seen $6.25 for a Scat and Quasar ride, both on fairly short cycles; that's pricing it a bit high I think...
bueller
Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:47:51 AM
I agree with Hoffa. It's the operators that run the ride into the ground.

A dollar rides night on a weeknight doesn't sound like such a bad idea but it needs to be heavily advertised and if your selling wristbands all week already there is no point.

A related question, what is your shows policy on with adult riders? Do you charge the adult?

Our policy was always adults pay too but lately according to customers most of our operators are not charging. I'll always tell them they have to pay but depending on how the day is I will give them a free one provided the child has paid while explaining its an exception not the rule.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:05:42 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt C.

Whether the price is $10 or $20, I think some people are just destin to complain.

Your dam right about that
BeauceCarnavalMan
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:09:38 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by BeauceCarnavalMan

引用:

quote:

Whether the price is $10 or $20, I think some people are just destin to complain.

Your repy is over simplified. Think of the total budget for the family.
UserPostedImage
johnroach100
Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:08:44 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by BeauceCarnavalMan

引用:

quote:

Your repy is over simplified. Think of the total budget for the family.

Simplified but accurate. We wound up selling sno-cones for a buck a couple of weeks ago (don't ask), and one guy said "that's a rip off", and walked.
olediggerguy
Friday, August 27, 2010 4:50:02 AM
I think this topic is mis-guided.The real issue is how much money do the shows keep. I've been out of it for a long time but from the people I talk to and from reading this board, it seems these Knucklehead showowners are giving up 50% of the gross just to lay down THEIR equiptment!!!I've heard that sometimes this % can go even higher.There isn't a business in the universe that pays half their gross reciepts to rent and can continue to survive. Then throw into the mix the unique nature of the business of having to tear down the WHOLE operation, move it, and set it ALL up again!!
This only leaves the showowner one way to survive. Somebody has to make it up.And it seems like the rents are OUTRAGEOUS, dings for housetrailers,this ,that, and the list goes on, on, and on.
So their return on investment is horrible.The epquiptment keeps getting more expensive, much more complicated,and the expenses keep rising as well.
It can't be getting any easier out there!!! Good luck...........
Benjibear
Friday, August 27, 2010 4:54:14 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by olediggerguy

I think this topic is mis-guided.The real issue is how much money do the shows keep. I've been out of it for a long time but from the people I talk to and from reading this board, it seems these Knucklehead showowners are giving up 50% of the gross just to lay down THEIR equiptment!!!I've heard that sometimes this % can go even higher.There isn't a business in the universe that pays half their gross reciepts to rent and can continue to survive. Then throw into the mix the unique nature of the business of having to tear down the WHOLE operation, move it, and set it ALL up again!!
This only leaves the showowner one way to survive. Somebody has to make it up.And it seems like the rents are OUTRAGEOUS, dings for housetrailers,this ,that, and the list goes on, on, and on.
So their return on investment is horrible.The epquiptment keeps getting more expensive, much more complicated,and the expenses keep rising as well.
It can't be getting any easier out there!!! Good luck...........

If game rent goes up then who pays. Smaller prizes or games that are nearly impossible to win. Then when the game operators are caught the show owner sits back and blames the game operators. They need to do something to make the nut.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
SaraAB
Friday, September 3, 2010 5:25:21 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

I've been reading a lot of comments on news articles, facebook pages, and other places recently, with people complaining about pricing at the fair, some specifics are:

<ul><li>$3 rides on a major State Fair midway (by purchasing discounted advance sale tickets) </li><li>$5 rides on a different major State Fair midway</li><li>$5 fresh lemonade at another State Fair, with $3 refills </li><li>$15 gate admission at a major County Fair that has no parking charge and Under 12 is free (and cheaper advance sale tickets that are readily available) </li><li>$15 POP wristbands for 3 hours at a local community festival with no admission/parking charge </li><li>$25 POP wristbands for riding all day at a major State Fair (rides are normally $2-$5 each with tickets) </li><li>Ticketed grandstand shows with national acts for under $50 a seat</li></ul>

Usually mentioned with these complaints is that the pricing is not 'family friendly', and tales of woe about how much it cost them to go to the fair.

So my question is, how much is too much, and what is just right as far as pricing goes, realizing that different size events have to be priced differently? Or are these complaints just sour grapes from people who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and would still complain even if everything was free?

From the customer's perspective:

Chris its getting to be a little too much here, major rides are all around $4 each and kiddies are around $3 each. I haven't seen a kiddie under $3 in a while. POP is $20 for a small parking lot carnival. I have seen a $14 POP on a carnival with exactly 5-6 kiddie rides. Most rides that you pay $4 for are about 2 minutes each, I have timed it with my video camera.

I am really sorry to complain about this here and I don't want to sound like the customer who is a complainer but $4 is a lot of money for a kid or an adult to ride a 2 minute ride. If you have 2 kids that is $8 just for one ride which is over before you can blink an eye. POP for 2 kids would be $40 @ $20 each. This doesn't equate to a good entertainment value in the public's eye. There is a theme park here where you can get in for around $20 each and they have free parking, plus you can spend the whole day and they have a waterpark. At the $20 price point people just say, lets go to the theme park.

I would like to see price equated with the area a carnival is playing in and based on how many rides. It doesn't seem to be that way here though, every lot is $20 POP regardless of size. A smaller carnival should cost less per ride and for POP. If a carnival is playing in a low income area the prices should not be $4 for a ride because then what happens is you have a ton of people trying to bum a free ride and people just walk off the lot because they cannot afford $4 per kid to ride just one ride. High prices also cause people and teens to loiter, and do nothing but loiter, since they can't afford to do anything that is available to them at the event so they just stand there and talk to people or play with their phones. I have seen it as a customer. Then you lose business in other areas like games and food because people leave since they can't afford it. The $20 carnival I mentioned earlier had about 5-6 majors and a few kiddies as I mentioned the $20 price is equivalent to a theme park visit in my area. I think a more appropriate POP price for a lot of this size would be $13-15 and $2 kiddie rides and $3 majors.

If a carnival is not doing well at a spot I would also like to see them lower their prices perhaps for the last day. Recently there was a carnival set up here, and I do not think I saw rides turn more than once or twice, due to the fact that people in my immediate area cannot afford $4 rides. For this situation since the carnival is already set up I think they should lower the prices to $2 per ride, and at least get some business. It has to be better than sitting there with no customers, and people constantly leaving the lot because of high prices since they can't afford it.

I have too read a lot of comments on facebook about "ripoff" carnivals.. People are definitely posting about this.

Now, $20-25 for a large lot, that is absolutely appropriate and is a very good value. I am mainly referring to the smaller carnivals with around 4-6 major rides and 4-5 kiddie rides, so about a 10-12 ride show, those are the ones that are overpriced here.
Soda Guy
Friday, September 3, 2010 5:48:02 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by SaraAB

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

I've been reading a lot of comments on news articles, facebook pages, and other places recently, with people complaining about pricing at the fair, some specifics are:

<ul><li>$3 rides on a major State Fair midway (by purchasing discounted advance sale tickets) </li><li>$5 rides on a different major State Fair midway</li><li>$5 fresh lemonade at another State Fair, with $3 refills </li><li>$15 gate admission at a major County Fair that has no parking charge and Under 12 is free (and cheaper advance sale tickets that are readily available) </li><li>$15 POP wristbands for 3 hours at a local community festival with no admission/parking charge </li><li>$25 POP wristbands for riding all day at a major State Fair (rides are normally $2-$5 each with tickets) </li><li>Ticketed grandstand shows with national acts for under $50 a seat</li></ul>

Usually mentioned with these complaints is that the pricing is not 'family friendly', and tales of woe about how much it cost them to go to the fair.

So my question is, how much is too much, and what is just right as far as pricing goes, realizing that different size events have to be priced differently? Or are these complaints just sour grapes from people who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and would still complain even if everything was free?

From the customer's perspective:

Chris its getting to be a little too much here, major rides are all around $4 each and kiddies are around $3 each. I haven't seen a kiddie under $3 in a while. POP is $20 for a small parking lot carnival. I have seen a $14 POP on a carnival with exactly 5-6 kiddie rides. Most rides that you pay $4 for are about 2 minutes each, I have timed it with my video camera.

I am really sorry to complain about this here and I don't want to sound like the customer who is a complainer but $4 is a lot of money for a kid or an adult to ride a 2 minute ride. If you have 2 kids that is $8 just for one ride which is over before you can blink an eye. POP for 2 kids would be $40 @ $20 each. This doesn't equate to a good entertainment value in the public's eye. There is a theme park here where you can get in for around $20 each and they have free parking, plus you can spend the whole day and they have a waterpark. At the $20 price point people just say, lets go to the theme park.

I would like to see price equated with the area a carnival is playing in and based on how many rides. It doesn't seem to be that way here though, every lot is $20 POP regardless of size. A smaller carnival should cost less per ride and for POP. If a carnival is playing in a low income area the prices should not be $4 for a ride because then what happens is you have a ton of people trying to bum a free ride and people just walk off the lot because they cannot afford $4 per kid to ride just one ride. High prices also cause people and teens to loiter, and do nothing but loiter, since they can't afford to do anything that is available to them at the event so they just stand there and talk to people or play with their phones. I have seen it as a customer. Then you lose business in other areas like games and food because people leave since they can't afford it. The $20 carnival I mentioned earlier had about 5-6 majors and a few kiddies as I mentioned the $20 price is equivalent to a theme park visit in my area. I think a more appropriate POP price for a lot of this size would be $13-15 and $2 kiddie rides and $3 majors.

If a carnival is not doing well at a spot I would also like to see them lower their prices perhaps for the last day. Recently there was a carnival set up here, and I do not think I saw rides turn more than once or twice, due to the fact that people in my immediate area cannot afford $4 rides. For this situation since the carnival is already set up I think they should lower the prices to $2 per ride, and at least get some business. It has to be better than sitting there with no customers, and people constantly leaving the lot because of high prices since they can't afford it.

I have too read a lot of comments on facebook about "ripoff" carnivals.. People are definitely posting about this.

Now, $20-25 for a large lot, that is absolutely appropriate and is a very good value. I am mainly referring to the smaller carnivals with around 4-6 major rides and 4-5 kiddie rides, so about a 10-12 ride show, those are the ones that are overpriced here.

SaraAB One of the problems with lowering the prices on the last day is that after you do that once or twice the public will then only come out for that day.

The real answer is if the rides aren't turning at that spot, the show needs to book something else. Or to play a crap hole the show needs to have a guarantee, have the sponsoring group just rent the rides for a flat fee and the committee can then sell tickets for a quarter just like years ago.

If people are complaining, fine that is their right but to come on a sight and tell a show what they need to charge without knowing their expenses for the week is not only irresponsible but actually bordering on stupid.

I have a question for you, how do you set your family budget? To you take your expected income, then start subtraccting your fixed costs? Then if anything is left you put in savings or spent part of it on a special family day or night out? Well that is how a show runs. It is a business with costs, expenses but the difference between most household budgets and a shows budgets besides the amounts is the weather. See most people with sucker jobs get paid even if it is to hot to be outside, or its raining or. . . . . .

Not wanting to just pick on you but really before you tell a show owner what they should charge, what they should buy put yourselves in their shoes, look at the debt they are carrying and then think to yourself could I do this? Could I mortgage everything I own just to put the show on the road in the spring?

Remember progress in this business might just mean less shows.
Bowler Roller
Friday, September 3, 2010 7:14:43 PM
How about the local businesses charge us no more than $5 a meal, $1 per gallon of fuel, $100 per week hotel rooms, and $20 per tire. The police should promise to not arrest us for minor misdemeanors, and not run background checks on the help. While we're at it, the committees should promise not to charge us more than 10% of our gross.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
bdgaf
Friday, September 3, 2010 8:53:13 PM
i rember my father years ago telling me that if keep 25% of what we macke we are lucky now that i do the bookes it seems more licke 20% people say the money was better in the 80 s i have been looking threw a lot of old files and paper work latly and also this year playing alot of old spots that i played years ago and seems my groses are the same i i believe we are still macking the same mony we made years ago when we said the mony was good but we keep less these days and a yard note is nothing i rember 500 hundred dollers geting me round trip to fl and back to ny now it will not get me there point is the prices went up licke every wera els but my house or car did not get any bigger no more profit and yes maybe be ur right it is to much but this is want we need to charge to be in busnuis and pay our million doller year ceo s lol
this what we do.