detroit121
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:53:29 AM
If you have been away from the carnival business for a while or doing something still related to the business but not on a carnival what do you miss most about travelling with A SHOW???i dont mean do you miss tavelling with a show,i mean what part do you miss most???or what do you think you would miss if you stopped travelling???
babe,BABE!!!!!,,,,,make sure ya give him one!!
detroit121
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:56:55 AM
I myself miss the cool nights in the fall up north at the end of the summer,with excitment building up for the jump south.I dont think there is anything like a nice cool fall night with all the rides turning and smells in the air and all that goes with it.
Hippie Bill
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:14:33 AM
I miss the time off in different places. I was a hopscotch agent and planned camping, concerts, etc for between spots on whatever route I was playing.

Sometimes I would just up and cut across country on a whim. Take my time and have fun along the way.

Now I just work, I get three weeks off a year for vacation, but the freedom has changed.

Other than that, there's a couple of people I miss, but thats it. I don't miss anything else.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
JustJeff
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:57:27 AM
Meeting up at the winter quarters a week or two before the first spot and seeing a new face each day that you hadn't seen in 5 months or so,then all of sudden the place is packed with people,every one for the most part in great moods and cracking jokes.
..Opening day after a long winter!!
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:46:01 PM
The scent of a finely perfumed women and that of a midway are equally exciting.

A spring date on freshly mowed grass is divine to the nostrils; equally good on a drive by on a freshly mowed field anywhere. But there then becomes an association in the brain.

The midway foods are captivating as well. Fries and a greasy burger filling the air.

I visited a small lot on sunday. Two elephant ears, probably 6 lemonades, some in the typical late model trailers but what caught my attention was a converted house trailer, perhaps from the 60's. Awnings on both sides, plastered with signage and the aroma of a good greasy burger.

The menu had fried everything. A ma and pa joint for sure but a blast from the past.

Their onion rings looked good. I bought nothing.

I went to the grocer yest. and ordered the fattest content grnd beef I could get, 80/20. Delicious. We don't each much burger but 90/10 has no flavor.

Every now and then I will fuel up at a truck stop and inhale the tires and diesel fuel.

I now rearrange the living room furniture every 10 days.
UserPostedImage
detroit121
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:42:02 PM
NOTHING BEATS THE FRESH MOWED GRASS EVER!!! THAT IS A WINNER ALL THE TIME.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

The scent of a finely perfumed women and that of a midway are equally exciting.

A spring date on freshly mowed grass is divine to the nostrils; equally good on a drive by on a freshly mowed field anywhere. But there then becomes an association in the brain.

The midway foods are captivating as well. Fries and a greasy burger filling the air.

I visited a small lot on sunday. Two elephant ears, probably 6 lemonades, some in the typical late model trailers but what caught my attention was a converted house trailer, perhaps from the 60's. Awnings on both sides, plastered with signage and the aroma of a good greasy burger.

The menu had fried everything. A ma and pa joint for sure but a blast from the past.

Their onion rings looked good. I bought nothing.

I went to the grocer yest. and ordered the fattest content grnd beef I could get, 80/20. Delicious. We don't each much burger but 90/10 has no flavor.

Every now and then I will fuel up at a truck stop and inhale the tires and diesel fuel.

I now rearrange the living room furniture every 10 days.

flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:06:50 PM
I miss the big pay checks, short hours, abundance of PBQs, work all day, drive all night, set up and run the next day.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
BigSumo
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:41:34 PM
The people for sure. Both the "family" on the show and the <s>marks</s>, I mean customers.

I have not been with the same show for a full season in many years, but I still hopscotch about 20 spots a year. It is not the same though.

On a show you are family, people care about you and you care about them.
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"
alibiguyny
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:33:11 AM
the comrodery the whole stick together the fact there is a difference from being with it and for it . then there is now thats for sure. i have not played on a show in a year... i miss it every once in a while.....
i dont smell em i just tell em......
alibiguyny
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:34:00 AM
the comrodery the whole stick together the fact there is a difference from being with it and for it . then there is now thats for sure. i have not played on a show in a year... i miss it every once in a while.....
i dont smell em i just tell em......
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:35:11 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by alibiguyny

I heard you bought something new; ride, joint, puter? Season must be good.
UserPostedImage
Pattiecake
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:00:23 AM
I can tell you what I don't miss:

breakdowns
ding slips
midnight madness
500 mile jumps
fuel stops
donniker locs
no power to lqs
rain all day on Saturday